I joined the Air Force recently and they moved me into the barracks about 2 months ago, it's pretty great, but I've wanted to get a guitar. The main thing stopping me from getting one is the fact that they put 2 people in a fairly small room, and I wouldn't want to disturb my roommate if he's focusing on something important, like his homework. I decided to look into silent guitars(something I didn't even know existed until today) and while there's a handful of videos showing them off on youtube, none of the videos show how audible they are without headphones or an amp. If I were to get one, it'd have to be silent, or at least VERY quiet, but still sound "somewhat" nice with headphones. As far as money goes, I don't want to spend a fortune, but I realize that it probably won't be incredibly cheap either. Does anyone here know of any nice silent guitars that would fit my needs.
First, welcome to the AF, and thank you for answering the call. I don't know much about "silent" guitars, but I've been able to play my guitars in any living quarters I've been assigned, from dorms and base housing to being deployed and sharing a MOD with 3 others. If you plug an electric guitar into any personal amp/modeling device with a headphone jack, it's no louder than listening to music or watching TV or playing video games. Like any other activity in shared living quarters, mutual respect for shift workers and quiet hours is the key. If you can clue the forum into what type of music you want to begin learning we can better help you with your choice.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
silent guitars (i'm guessing you mean the yamaha shell guitars)

are still going to make some noise when strum, just like any unplugged
electric guitar will.

if you are strumming strings, it will make noise.

those guitars are marketed as silent because they are compact and mainly used with headphone amps.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
First, welcome to the AF, and thank you for answering the call.

Echoing that response!

As for playing quietly, get any solidbody electric and plug it into something like a Korg Pandora, Line6Pod, Tascam GT-R1, a smartphone with the right app, etc., play through your headphones and you'll be about as quiet as you can possibly be. Typical costs: $120-300.

The advantage to going that route over an amp with a headphone jack is that all of those will be infinitely more portable- meaning you can practice anywhere without making too much noise. This is key if even silent running disturbs your roomies because you can quickly pack up and just go practice outside.

In addition, units like that have a broad array of features: all will have some kind of tuner and metronome, for instance, and different units will have additional features like simulated drums, amp/pedal modeling, recording to removable media or directly to your computer, pitch shifting, phrase training, and so forth.

Bonus: like a pedal, they can be put into your normal signal chain, so if you don't have the $$$ to buy the pedals to simulate the sound you want, you can simply plug in.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I use my BR-600 studio with headphones, you don't need an amp, you got a massive selection of effects available and you can load backing tracks on to it and record if you like as well. And if you really ever want to play without headphones you can always plug it in to your stereo.
There's no way to be quiet enough to not disturb someone who's in the same room as you. The ''silent'' guitars are not actually silent - strings ring out just as loudly acoustically as they would on any other unplugged electric guitar, and that is loud enough that most people in the next room can hear you. ''Silent'' guitars try and cut down on this noise, usually by simply having less body mass, but the string itself is still just as loud. The guitar can't make a noise without the strings vibrating and vibrations cause noise. A ''silent'' guitar may have an acoustically-quiet body but the strings are as loud as always.

What you're looking for is some kind of soundproofed guitar, which is something that doesn't exist.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.