So I've got pretty good control over all my fingers, they do what I tell them for the most part and they're all decently strong, but I notice some problems. Mostly with my pinky and ring finger. The thing is, when they're unfretted it's pretty much impossible to move them in opposite directions, they just want to move with each other and it's annoying.

It doesn't really affect my playing but it occasionally causes some pretty retarded looking finger jerks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kehubd46_dE

Here's a demonstration. Just a pentatonic scale, but when I get to the E string and use my pinky, as you can see my ring and middle finger go flying over the fretboard. Again, doesn't really hurt anything but it looks dumb. Also if I'm playing something like the into to crazy train, my first finger tends to stick out when not fretted. It's not too noticeable when I'm actually playing because I usually don't stop to emphasize it, but I'd like to be in complete control.

This is something I thought would fix itself over time but it's been this way since I started playing so I thought now would be a good time to do something about it.
You just need to practice more. The pinky and ring finger share muscles in the hand so it is pretty hard to separate the functions.

What you need to do is practice on gaining dexterity. Just put on a metronome around 75bps and just run chromatic scales (1-2-3-4 -1-3-2-4) and various other scales up and down the neck. That's really all you can do to help finger independence.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
You just have to go slow, very slow in the beginning. Learn to move each finger, without the other fingers moving. For the index it's easy, for the middle it's a little more difficult and for the last two it's pretty much impossible if you have to play more than one note at a time.

Remember to keep them relaxed. Holding them on the correct position is wrong, just think of it as moving only one finger really. The other muscles should relax as much as possible.

Start by keeping your fretting hand at some point of the neck so that the fingers are floating over one string, each finger on a different fret. Then just learn to push one fret down with the other fingers still floating. Then repeat again and again with different fingers.

When you get comfortable with it with this exercise and some scales then start to just keep it in mind when practicing songs and start slow.