So I've been playing guitar for 5 months, and I want to learn faster than I am right now. I have PRS SE Santana and I'm in beginner guitar class at my school. I'm not learning as fast as I want to in guitar class, and I really don't learn much from learning the tabs of songs at ultimate guitar, no matter how challenging they are. So how can I learn better, because it's kind of frustrating, because I want to learn a lot more than I have
I can tell your looking for more of an in depth answer than time and practice. Ultimately yes those are two very important things but you also have to want it bad enough. If you aren't learning from guitar tabs off of this website I suggest that you find the thing that inspires you the most and stick with that because thats what your gonna be the best at.

Technique
Scales
Chords
Ear Training
Fretboard Harmony
Music Theory
Reading Music
Jamming with others
Composing
Transcribing
Improvising

Get yourself a good book and look into the subjects and find what you think is the most interesting. Also learning the correct ways to practice such as knowing when and when not to use the metronome + knowledge of tension is going to help you alot. The most important factor though is focus. If you can focus on what you wanna hear and are able to manipulate your playing to fit the sounds in your head then nothing will be able to stop you.

Good luck and regards!
your in a class at school: heres what you need to do. ive been playing for a year and a quarter.so:

decide what you want to do. the other week, i went up to my teacher and told him i want to do malmsteen-esque things. alternate picking, that kind of thing.

im now using far beyond the sun to develop those techniques.

thing is man, of course, chords can only get you so far.
what are you learning at the moment in your class, and what tabs are you looking at on here?

another thing that can impact you is strap position: if you can provide a pic of where it sits on you, we can help tell you if it should go higher. a good position i reccomend is have it curving around the bottom of your tit.
(please dear god dont try to be slash.)
Quote by Spaztikko
your in a class at school: heres what you need to do. ive been playing for a year and a quarter.so:

decide what you want to do. the other week, i went up to my teacher and told him i want to do malmsteen-esque things. alternate picking, that kind of thing.

im now using far beyond the sun to develop those techniques.

thing is man, of course, chords can only get you so far.
what are you learning at the moment in your class, and what tabs are you looking at on here?

another thing that can impact you is strap position: if you can provide a pic of where it sits on you, we can help tell you if it should go higher. a good position i reccomend is have it curving around the bottom of your tit.
(please dear god dont try to be slash.)

+1. Why would you wanna be Slash when you could be even more.
I`ve played over 20 years. Played as a pro for over 15. Just given a little introduction. First of all the biggest problem I see with new guitarists is they try to fly before they can crawl. If you want to be a good player you MUST build a solid foundation. You do this by learning CHORDS, ...NOT SOLOS or LEAD or whatever you wanna call it. Once you learn chords for the first few years then you can begin locating the lead melodies within the chord structure or progression. Chords, chords, chords! You must dedicate yourself to practice and you must be consistant. There`s not one person who is a "natural" at playing an instrument. In fact, I found this remark offensive when spoken of me in the early years. You get out of it exactly what you put into it. You work, you get paid. Avoid trying to play solos. Stick with learning chord progressions. I read a few comments abouyt the more technical terms of the guitar and music. You`re not ready for that. All that you need to know right now is to concentrate on your rythym and learning chords. If you do this, it will make the remaining years of your life with a guitar much better. I learned chords for the first 3 years and I didn`t start playing serious solos until I`d played for 5 years and I still continue learning to this very day. I was gigging the 3rd year of playing guitar because I had a solid rythym and I new tons of chords and I could flow with those chords. By my 8th year I was the front man in a local band playing SRV. I now can and have played everything from all types of gospel, all types of blues, all types of funk. all types of rock, etc.etc.etc. and I owe it all to my first 3-5 years of playing. I warn you now,....If you try to start out flying you will never walk.
Oh and by the way,... You can take lessons from anyone you want and don`t get me wrong because anything you learn mentally is good but there is absolutely no substitute for an uninterupted practice. Take it slow. Do it right. No matter how slow you have to approach it, do it. If you learn it wrong it will stick with you. And the longer you do it wrong, the harder the habit is to break. Take your time. Oh and another thing...CHORDS and RYTHyM. The extra y is there for a reason.
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG
+1. Why would you wanna be Slash when you could be even more.

Always the Slash hate. All you 14 year old kids are just mad because he is one of the last real rock stars and is still better than 99% of all guitarists you know. It's jealousy because all the modern hardcore/metalcore bands have terrible guitarists who can't even play mary had a little lamb by ear. Hell, most bands these days can't even jam, which means I consider myself a better guitarists than most of the "famous" ones now a days, just a bunch of bed room shredders who can't keep time and are trying to be Petrucci or whoever.

He may not be as fast as Randy Rhoads, but everyone knows who he is, not just elitist guitarists who only care about speed over musical skill.
hansome21 What in the world has this got anything to do with the OP`s question?? And as a matter of fact it is everyones right to have an opinion anyway. I see where you`re going and I agree partially but this kids question is unrelated. Every player has his or her favorite. All we can do is hope that in time they will find out for themselves that the revolutionary guitar players like Muddy Waters, Jimmi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Randy Roads, Buckethead, etc.etc. started off with chords and practiced day and night for years to get to their levels. I can play the majority of anything I hear note for note yet here I sit. Its about a players individuality and being able to portray that to others in a manner that invites a wanting of more. Who`s better than who is an neverending discussion because it is not answerable. We are all equal in our own way. For every one Slash there are a thousand others with the equivalent of his ability plus some.
Handsome21 is right - Slash can jam, and doesnt deserve all the hate (although is overrated in the mainstream conciousness). Buy thiswhen it comes out to see. [But this is just an aside - lets not descend further down this path of arguing about favourite guitarists]

And Woodstock777 is right - its all about RHYTHM. Learn the basics and then perfect the basics. The best lead guitarists are all great rhythm guitarists. There are no really good lead guitarists who dont have the basics solidified. That's not to say that you shouldnt also work on your lead playing, but dont rush ahead of yourself.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Mar 18, 2012,
Quote by woodstock777
hansome21 What in the world has this got anything to do with the OP`s question??

There has been 3 people on this page slamming Slash and saying not to play like him, I disagree try reading the whole thread before you get on your high horse tough guy.

In relation to his question, I figured the answer is pretty obvious as we say it to people every day here, practice more. There are a ton of ways to practice guitar (learn songs, train your ear, learn music theory, learn chords, learn advanced chords, learn how to make arpeggios all over the neck) you just have to ask yourself what you like to do. When you get bored, try something else.

When I first started, I liked learning songs and would play them during commercials while my friends watched TV. Eventually, I moved on to exercises, advanced guitar songs, and eventually jamming with others.

You don't have to follow that order though. You could start jamming right now.
Quote by woodstock777
I`ve played over 20 years. Played as a pro for over 15. Just given a little introduction. First of all the biggest problem I see with new guitarists is they try to fly before they can crawl. If you want to be a good player you MUST build a solid foundation. You do this by learning CHORDS, ...NOT SOLOS or LEAD or whatever you wanna call it. Once you learn chords for the first few years then you can begin locating the lead melodies within the chord structure or progression. Chords, chords, chords! You must dedicate yourself to practice and you must be consistant. There`s not one person who is a "natural" at playing an instrument. In fact, I found this remark offensive when spoken of me in the early years. You get out of it exactly what you put into it. You work, you get paid. Avoid trying to play solos. Stick with learning chord progressions. I read a few comments abouyt the more technical terms of the guitar and music. You`re not ready for that. All that you need to know right now is to concentrate on your rythym and learning chords. If you do this, it will make the remaining years of your life with a guitar much better. I learned chords for the first 3 years and I didn`t start playing serious solos until I`d played for 5 years and I still continue learning to this very day. I was gigging the 3rd year of playing guitar because I had a solid rythym and I new tons of chords and I could flow with those chords. By my 8th year I was the front man in a local band playing SRV. I now can and have played everything from all types of gospel, all types of blues, all types of funk. all types of rock, etc.etc.etc. and I owe it all to my first 3-5 years of playing. I warn you now,....If you try to start out flying you will never walk.

That's quite possibly the most insightful first post I've ever seen from a member. I don't entirely agree about only sticking with chords for 3 years, but certainly I'd say that for the first year or so the majority of what you should be concerning yourself with is your rhythm chops.

Building a solid foundation and doing things in the right order, when you're ready to tackle them, is the most important thing though. You can absolutely start off trying to tackle some tricky lead stuff, and you will be able to play it...but it'll take you a disproportionate amount of time, and at the end of it you'll have learned one thing, probably not particularly well, and you won't have learned anything else in that time. More to the point, you'll have very little understanding of what you've learned and wil struggle to apply it anywhere else or use it to advance your understanding of the guitar and music in general, it'll just be something you've memorised and learned to mimic in the same way a parrot can pretend to talk.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I played a lot along with a metronome and I built some hand syncronization over the time.

The other part in fast playing is being able to play perfectly at slow speed, because you use the same technique on different speeds. Watch out for these:
- Don't hold the strings too strong! It's make you harder to play at high speeds and can cause tendonitis.
- Hold the pick in the correct way! I hold it between my thumb's and my index finger's fast fingerjoint.
- Practice playing at slow speeds simultaneously or you will lose some accuracy!
- Don't listen to others, who saying "fast and technical music is ****, play some <insert band name here>" (you want to play leads, not only four chords) or "playing on guitar takes years" (Jeff Loomis needed only one, but varies by people, there's no "magic number of time" to learning how to play guitar).
look, woodstock, i agree with you that rythym plays an extremely important part, and honestly, since TS is just starting out its actually really good.

and, im not hating on slash. quite simply, I like IN MY OWN OPINION much better guitarists in every field. Petrucci, Fruiscante, Malmsteen, Vai, SRV, whoever ok? slash made some solid stuff, and he doesnt deserve as much hate. But the fact is you can achieve the same technical ability as him in less than a year and a half. While he is a good person for a beginner to look up to, there are much much *better* people to look up to, learn songs and get better at guitar, and who write far more solidly than he does.

thing is, each to his own. so shut up.
nah, im just kidding, but i have my opinion and you have yours.

TS, Far Beyond the Sun or Rocket Queen?

practice hard out, to the best of your ability, always trying to raise the bar. No matter who you idolize and want to play like, diversify, and constantly improve yourself to satisfy your drive. Thats all i can offer you.

except for this: go to your teacher, and tell them you want to play lead, and you want somgs to help develop lead from the early stages. try the solo to stairway to heaven, its petatonic, with some little legato thrown in. try it out.

best of luck.
Quote by ZILtoid_1991
I played a lot along with a metronome and I built some hand syncronization over the time.

The other part in fast playing is being able to play perfectly at slow speed, because you use the same technique on different speeds. Watch out for these:
- Don't hold the strings too strong! It's make you harder to play at high speeds and can cause tendonitis.
- Hold the pick in the correct way! I hold it between my thumb's and my index finger's fast fingerjoint.
- Practice playing at slow speeds simultaneously or you will lose some accuracy!
- Don't listen to others, who saying "fast and technical music is ****, play some <insert band name here>" (you want to play leads, not only four chords) or "playing on guitar takes years" (Jeff Loomis needed only one, but varies by people, there's no "magic number of time" to learning how to play guitar).

Yeah about the learning time, I know how much it varies. I've only been playing for about 10 months but I'm at the skill level of around 2/3 years of playing. I was and am a pretty good trumpet player(if I say so myself) with an excellent level of music theory so that gave me a really good head start.
]
Quote by Enjoisk8bording
So I've been playing guitar for 5 months, and I want to learn faster than I am right now. I have PRS SE Santana and I'm in beginner guitar class at my school. I'm not learning as fast as I want to in guitar class, and I really don't learn much from learning the tabs of songs at ultimate guitar, no matter how challenging they are. So how can I learn better, because it's kind of frustrating, because I want to learn a lot more than I have

Definitely make sure you get expert instruction and communicate your goals to the expert. Then create a plan by which you can achieve your goals.
Also, the most important thing that you can have (other than rhythm, but that has been covered) is a GOOD EAR. Music is sound!
I agree with woodstock, learn your chords, but not only how they are played, but how they sound! Sing the intervals, really integrate them into your head. Most people don't have perfect pitch, and it sucks, but relative pitch, when it's fine tuned, is just as good if not better.
With a good ear and knowledge of chords, you will be able to write from your mind, without even having a guitar (or any other instrument) with you. Instead of just dickin' around on your guitar until you find something, you will be able to compose from your mind. Sitting on the train, in school with some free time, etc. are the places where i write all my stuff. And it all comes from being able to hear the way the chords and melody work together in your head.
Master these 3 things if you truly want to be a guitarist:
Spirit: this is your ear/musical sense. When this is mastered, you should be able to play the guitar without having one on you (as in, know what every note/chord with sound like before you even play it on the thing)
Mind: This is your knowledge of music theory. Learn theory! you will be much better if you learn it inside and out, trust me.
Body: This is your technical ability. I feel that a lot of guitarists just strive for this and ignore the other 2, but they are all important.
Mastering these 3 things will give you perfect harmony with your instrument (pun!)
Quote by Enjoisk8bording

Beginner guitar classes are a good starting place because you're in there with other players and you'll be playing along with other musicians (which is, in my mind, one of the most effective ways of learning to play musically). That, and you guys are all at about the same place, so a bit of competition might give you the drive to keep on playing during rough patches.

If you really want to accelerate your learning, get a good one-on-one instructor. Instructors should cover technique and theory even at a beginner level, so you'll begin learning what actually makes collections of notes sound the way they do.
I learnt to play by buying a guitar and amp, buying the appetite for destruction tab book and learning what all the tabs stuff means in the very beginning of the book then I taught myself sweet child. It took me a little while, proably two months of constant practice and **** ups but I got there, then I just kept buying guitar world mag and learning all sorts of different stuff from Led Zep to Bowie and within six months I could learn a track all the way through in a couple of hours.
My advice is to just pick up the guitar and play, don't worry if it's not perfect that'll take practice but just make sure you listen to the song over and over and pick out different parts that'll help your technique, like arpeggios, power chords, chords, lead stuff with bends, slides, hammer-on's and pull-off's etc a good song to learn is Rocket Queen it's got everything from cool rythem parts, slide guitar, arpeggios and a wicked outro I love that song it's what I play to warm up.
Good luck and just keep practicing
Quote by Enjoisk8bording

I've been playing for nearly 7 years. I still have a lot to learn. Even if you practice every day, 5+ hours a day like I did you probably wouldn't progress any faster than you wanted to.

If you find that you're progressing slower than others who tend to go down that sweeping and shredding phase that EVERYONE knows how to do, then I say follow the slower path and work on your tone and vibrato. Playing 20 notes with emotion will always sound more beautiful than 200 notes that were played fast and swept over.

Speed will come with time, but technique is something that YOU have to work on. Trust me on this, you cannot force yourself to play faster and just expect it to happen on a whim. If you're expecting to play like Herman Li from Dragonforce or John Petrucci from Dream Theater within the next six months, I wouldn't plan on it. You can play as fast as anyone within your first year, but speed isn't everything. You will turn more heads if you show emotion with your playing. There's a reason why Joe Satriani is regarded as the best guitarist on the planet. He's lightning fast but makes his guitar cry at the same time.

He's the guy I follow in sound and play style.

If you get discouraged, don't worry about it. If you feel like you're not progressing any further, that's normal. Happens to us all the time. If you find that you're messing up a lot after practicing for a week or two... then take a break. No lie. Just stop for a solid two or three days and come back to it later when you just feel like playing your guitar. I do it all the time.
Quote by hansome21
Always the Slash hate. All you 14 year old kids are just mad because he is one of the last real rock stars and is still better than 99% of all guitarists you know. It's jealousy because all the modern hardcore/metalcore bands have terrible guitarists who can't even play mary had a little lamb by ear. Hell, most bands these days can't even jam, which means I consider myself a better guitarists than most of the "famous" ones now a days, just a bunch of bed room shredders who can't keep time and are trying to be Petrucci or whoever.

He may not be as fast as Randy Rhoads, but everyone knows who he is, not just elitist guitarists who only care about speed over musical skill.

i was gonna contribute positively to this thread, but then i saw this...

Real rock stars? jealousy ? are you a 14 year old teenager girl ?
I get the old concept of rockstars wearing hats, leather pants and smoking cigarettes while drinking jack daniels on stage while wearing their guitar insanely low to look cool on stage.. i think i know why there are not many left:

People grow up!! most Rockstars from that era that actually consider themselves serious musicians have grown out of that phase, Look at Gambale, Gilbert, Vai, etc.. (Ynwie obviously still lives in the 80´s though) some people evolve and want to keep challenging themselves, not rely on a massive hit they will play forever, hell.. take a look at guys like Trent Reznor nowadays, working out and wearing suits while winning Oscars and working with top Directors in Hollywood.

But i guess being a real rockstar means jamming for Fergie.

Another speed/shredding vs feeling dichotomy argument ? please.. go sit in the corner and think about what you just did! btw- Id choose the guitarists on their bedroom trying to be Petruccis any day over the thousand of bedroom guitarists trying to be Slashes..

Everyone knows who Rihanna/Bieber/etc is... i guess shes extremely musical...guess im some kind of weird elitist who cares about quality...

( I actually think Slash is a cool guy and i want to hit myself in the face when I see those Black Veil gals, but nonsense post is nonsense and needs to be debunked..)

TS - How does your practice routine look like ? how much time do you spend on it ?
What do you practice ? how do you practice ? etc... the more details the better. Lately i've been doing routines for people , try to be as methodical and specific to the persons goals as possible, so if you are interested you can PM me. (don´t worry its free and im not a Tom Hess student)
Last edited by Slashiepie at May 21, 2012,
Quote by Slashiepie

I get the old concept of rockstars wearing hats, leather pants and smoking cigarettes while drinking jack daniels on stage while wearing their guitar insanely low to look cool on stage.. i think i know why there are not many left:

People grow up!! most Rockstars from that era that actually consider themselves serious musicians have grown out of that phase, Look at Gambale, Gilbert, Vai, etc.. (Ynwie obviously still lives in the 80´s though) some people evolve and want to keep challenging themselves, not rely on a massive hit they will play forever, hell.. take a look at guys like Trent Reznor nowadays, working out and wearing suits while winning Oscars and working with top Directors in Hollywood.

Another speed/shredding vs feeling dichotomy argument ? please.. go sit in the corner and think about what you just did! btw- Id choose the guitarists on their bedroom trying to be Petruccis any day over the thousand of bedroom guitarists trying to be Slashes..

Everyone knows who Rihanna/Bieber/etc is... i guess shes extremely musical...guess im some kind of weird elitist who cares about quality...

( I actually think Slash is a cool guy and i want to hit myself in the face when I see those Black Veil gals, but nonsense post is nonsense and needs to be debunked..)

TS - How does your practice routine look like ? how much time do you spend on it ?
What do you practice ? how do you practice ? etc... the more details the better. Lately i've been doing routines for people , try to be as methodical and specific to the persons goals as possible, so if you are interested you can PM me. (don´t worry its free and im not a Tom Hess student)

Slash put coca cola in a JD bottle you know

What a knob!
Quote by Slashiepie

No need for this post. Negative posts don't do anything for a thread except throw out a different mood on the subject. Let the original whiner whine away until a moderator gets him. There's absolutely no reason to respond. It's called trolling and right now you're feeding the troll...

However, I have to agree that Slash really isn't all that he's famed to be. He's a good guitarist for his style... but only for his style. This is why I prefer someone like Satriani, who has the ability to mimic ANYONE and play like EVERYONE at the same time.
LOL at the Slash hate/love in this thread. I think we can all agree that, while he isn't the "best" in terms of technicality, his music sounds good. In the end, isn't that what it all comes down to? Why isn't Yngwie very popular now even though he is still relevant in this day? His songs are monotonous and boring albeit he is the old "master" of sweep picking.

OT: You can play anything you want, you're not limited to chords/rhythm parts. But whatever you play, PLEASE don't just rush through it. Work it out and slow it down if you have to. As Slashipie asked, how do you practice? What's a practice session for you like? Telling us this will help us tell you what you're leaving out/focusing too much on.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by Slashiepie
btw- Id choose the guitarists on their bedroom trying to be Petruccis any day over the thousand of bedroom guitarists trying to be Slashes..

Stopped reading there. Seriously, watch people shred fail on youtube, its everywhere.
Quote by hansome21
Stopped reading there. Seriously, watch people shred fail on youtube, its everywhere.

watch people Slash fail on youtube and in life, its everywhere, have a conversation with a Slash/Guns and Roses hardcore lover, watch your IQ drop! Fav phrase "Vai/Gilbert/Petrucci/Buckethead are all speed and no feeling"! Slash is famous they are not he is way better, etc etc... read the endless threads on other forums about how Slash is "better" than Buckethead.. i´d still pick the guys trying to be Petrucci, shooting for the stars ain´t bad
Last edited by Slashiepie at May 22, 2012,