Ok, 5ers can join in too.

My question is: Would you 4/5ers be confused if you were taking lessons from a teacher who showed you things played on a 6 string? For those of you who don't know, a 6er is tuned BEADGC. One string a 4th below the low E, one string a 4th above the G.
Any tabs/diagrams/patterns and such would be shown/played/written down to be compatible for a 4/5 string. The only difference is that when playing in the lesson, you teacher would be playing a 6 string.

I want to start teaching private lessons on electric bass. However, I do not own a 4 string bass. I own 2 6ers, but I'm guessing the majority of my students will be 4/5ers.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Well, the middle four strings are the same. Shouldn't be a problem. Just don't show them things using the other two strings.

My bass teacher primary plays a 6 string fedora, but also uses a 6 string classical guitar or a four string bass for lessons. It really shouldn't matter.
Ok. Well thats one person xD
Not to belittle your opinion, but I know from playing with guitarists through middle school and high school that at first, it's hard for them immediately to realize what string I'm playing on.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
I think there would be somewhat of a confusion at first. My upright teacher sometimes plays his 5 string upright and if I don't remember its a 5er it can throw me at times.
It might take them a bit to get used to, but as long as you play on the strings that they have, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Bass:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Acoustic Guitar:
Squier SA-100
With almost every guitarist I've every played my 5 string with, if I show them something on the E string, they'll invariably attempt it on their A string.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I got lessons when I was new in bass and had a 4 stringed one. My teacher had a 5 stringed one, and if I can recall, ignoring the B string was a little hard at first. Whenever he played on his E string, I played on the A, but after 2 or 3 sessions, it became second nature for me to move a string upwards.

I guess it depends on the person you're teaching.
Last edited by Haures at Mar 18, 2012,
Alright, well it looks like either it won't be an issue or it'll only be an issue in the beginning. Cool. Thanks for the help, guys. Now I don't feel like I have to dish out 300 bucks for a 4 string to teach with.
Quote by Banjocal
When I took my lessons the teacher used a fretless 4 string and I used a fretted 5. there wasn't any confusion between us.

you could use it as an opportunity to teach the students the notes instead of the frets
Quote by CJ Noble

you could use it as an opportunity to teach the students the notes instead of the frets

Agreed.

My teacher uses a 6er, but i never had a problem with that. still, you'll need your students to get to the classroom with their basses IMO. you could buy an affinity P or J, used, very cheap if they won't bring their basses....
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Point of fact, not all 6-strings are strung B-C. I've seen at least two in person strung E-F, and more strung F#-G.
Nope, no sig here.
I kinda dislike the low B but wish I had more upper range. I'll probably string mine E-F too
Quote by Mutant Corn
Point of fact, not all 6-strings are strung B-C. I've seen at least two in person strung E-F, and more strung F#-G.

And not all 4's are strung EADG, but generally they are.
Quote by Banjocal
If they get really confused, you could always show them on their own bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Yeah, alright.
I feel much better about this now. Thanks for the help, guys =D
Quote by Banjocal
I think you need to think seriously about this. If you are just a good bass player who is happy to pass on a bit of what you know to your mates who may pay you some beer money in return for the favour then waht you are proposing is fine. If you seriously want to be a professional teacher then this isn't good enough, sorry. You'd expect a car mechanic or a plumber to come along with the right tools and if they tried to get along with the wrong kit you'd have a respect problem with them.

Your kind of expecting people to invest hundreds of dollars in lessons but you aren't prepared to invest your own money in doing it properly. Let's face it you can buy a reasonable 4 string for the cost of 10 lessons.

Even if you don't think appearances are important (and I've some sympathy with that) you have already acknowledged the possibility of confusing beginners. Teaching isn't about being a genius bass player, in the main it is about empathy, reaching out to where your students are, thinking about what you are trying to achieve and hard work preparing your lessons properly.

You may become a great teacher and if you do teach well it will improve your own bass playing too. I'm really not trying to put you off but you don't really seem to be thinking this through. Yes, you can make some money but teaching is about giving mainly and not about profit.
Well then you basically just bad-mouthed half the kid's in this thread's teachers (let alone your own grammar teacher's) because many people have stated their teachers did similar things and they turned out just fine.

And to the "thinking about what you're trying to achieve blah blah." I am, man. I have all sorts of things planned out for pretty much any student of any ability level and know how I will handle many situations from teaching my mates certain things throughout the years and from observing teachers of my own and others through middle and high school. I've always loved playing the bass, I've always loved teaching people things.
It's not like I'm going to teach bass to people using a ****ing shamisen. It's still a bass, and many people have already claimed (through their personal experience) that it's not that big of a deal.
Quote by Banjocal
If he knows what he is doing you should be ok. My teacher would use a 6 string guitar while I used my 4 string bass.
If you find it becomes an issue... a cheap, pawn shop 4 banger isn't a lot if it helps the students.
Quote by Mutant Corn

Make very little point in this topic. We all know about the different tunings. When you teach you keep it standard E.
Stupid question. If it becomes an issue( Which I think with beginners it would) Why not just remove the top string on one of your basses? I can tell you I woulda been confused by it back starting out