Hey there guys. First post here. I was looking for some opinions on swapping out the Celestion G12P80 speakers out of my Line6 4x12 cab for a 50/50 mix of Celestion V-30s and G12T-75s.

The combination sounds pretty sick in the Bogner Uberkabs. Is this a pretty good combo, and why or why not? Also if there are better alternatives out there I'm more that willing to explore them. I need to cover a pretty diverse sound spectrum from jamming to my favorite bands songs (Metallica, Megadeth, Slipknot, In Flames, Soilwork, Nightwish, Nodes of Ranvier, Within Temptation and too many more to name) to even occasionally stepping in as a relief player at some churches or various church events.
What amp are you using?
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Which L6 cab do you have?

If it's a Spider, there's really no point to upgrade the speakers.

Amp is also a larger factor...
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Basically the whole Spider IV HD150 halfstack rig.

Think the speaker change is pointless because of the amp itself or some design issue with the cabinet itself such as cab depth or wood material used?
Quote by zero72285
Basically the whole Spider IV HD150 halfstack rig.

Think the speaker change is pointless because of the amp itself or some design issue with the cabinet itself such as cab depth or wood material used?

Amp itself.

The Spider series is garbage.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
No offense, but I must respectfully disagree (though only to a degree). Certainly there are amps I love FAAAAR more than the Spider, but with some reasonable tweaking it can at least be passable for certain applications. It absolutely doesn't have the breathing room I would like out of my preferred (and hopefully in my near future) amp, but I've been able to please quite a few people playing out of it. I'd certainly say the smaller spiders are a miserable waste, but as long as you're not tone deaf, know how to dial in a decent sound, and aren't trying to use the most insane sounds to try and make it sound like some cheesy video game music or sfx the higher end spiders aren't complete garbage.
TS is right, as long as the spidervalve series counts. i had one a while back, and for the price, it was a decent little amp. it's not a real bogner by any means, but in that price range i feel that it competes pretty well. everyone around here loves to slam line 6, and i wasnt a fan myself until i played their tube setup. you're not going to get epic tone out of it, but its not garbage.

'08 PRS singlecut
'11 Gibson Les paul studio
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Hughes and Kettner Triamp cab
it might be cheaper to just get a cab with the speakers you like already loaded (and it'd likely be a better cab, too).

also a new amp would be on the cards, presumably.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the spider cab you have is garbage and not worth the $$. If you want a cab with that speaker setup, I suggest Avatar you can costomize your cab with colors/grill/Speakers for <$600 new.

The V30xG12t75 is a good combo as is the v30xK100 combo. If you want a little more vintage the V30XG12h30 is a good combo.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
A new amp will certainly be a bigger upgrade than a new cab. After all, you know what they say about polishing turds.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Twistedrock
A new amp will certainly be a bigger upgrade than a new cab. After all, you know what they say about polishing turds.

i know this is totally irrelevant, but look that up on youtube. mythbusters did a segment on it...lol

'08 PRS singlecut
'11 Gibson Les paul studio
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Hughes and Kettner Triamp cab
Quote by arteestic1
i know this is totally irrelevant, but look that up on youtube. mythbusters did a segment on it...lol

Link.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by arteestic1

not what I was expecting. I thought you meant they did a test of swapping speakers in a low end cab vs swapping speakers in a high end cab
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
What you really need is a new amp.

Really, for $600 you can grab a used Peavey 5150 or a new Jet City JCA100h. Run it through your current Line 6 cabinet until you can afford to swap the speakers out for something better, or just get a new cab altogether.

A good cab can't make a shitty head sound good, but a good head with even the shittiest cabs can sound half-decent. You say your Spider IV is good, but really you haven't developed an ear for good tone yet. Don't blow your money on new speakers. Get a new amp.
^ i dunno. i'd say even a good head can sound bad with a sufficiently bad cab and/or speakers (or even good ones that don't suit it). that being said i'd agree that starting with the head is the sensible thing.

Quote by LaidBack
not what I was expecting. I thought you meant they did a test of swapping speakers in a low end cab vs swapping speakers in a high end cab

mythbusters is good but it's not that good
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i dunno. i'd say even a good head can sound bad with a sufficiently bad cab and/or speakers (or even good ones that don't suit it). that being said i'd agree that starting with the head is the sensible thing.

mythbusters is good but it's not that good

Maybe there should be a show called tonebusters. Too bad tone is subjective lol.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
hehe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wtf? The HD150 isn't the Spider Valve so how is that even relevant?

You need a new amp. Otherwise just buy this:

Same thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I can vouch for an Avatar with V30's and G12H30's, or in my case (or cab as it may be), one of each.