My wife's grandfather passed away and left behind his old Gretsch, I don't know much about them and I've only dinked around with guitars when I was younger. Was hoping someone more knowledgeable would be able to help me with the year and the make of this one. It has some damage that needs repaired but I think we got ourselves a nice ol guitar. I'm really excited to have it. Anything helps =) Thanks.

I'm no help, but that certainly looks like a nice guitar. probably perfect for jazz
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I suspect it could be a late 50's Clipper or Corvette model (not to be confused with the later solidbody corvette)

EDIT: It is probably a Corsair (model 6014) made between 1955 and 1959, with an aftermarket pickup.
Last edited by sashki at Mar 18, 2012,
Look in the left f-hole, is there something in there? It looks like there might be by the picture, but I could be severely mistaken. If there is, that could clarify a lot. I'd also say there's a good possibility that's one of several variations of the Gretsch Synchromatic 100/Corsair 6014.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Look in the left f-hole, is there something in there? It looks like there might be by the picture, but I could be severely mistaken. If there is, that could clarify a lot. I'd also say there's a good possibility that's one of several variations of the Gretsch Synchromatic 100/Corsair 6014.

Just a serial number 12177
Found somewhere that says it's a '55. Then looked through the '55 catalog and it really only looks most like the corvette.

Actually I think you're right, def has to be the corsair.

A while ago they took it into a shop to get a quote on repairs. The neck is broken on the back where it connects on the body and her gramps tried to repair it himself 20+ years ago. I believe they said something along the lines of like 300+ to fix it.. This seem average or am I being taken advantage of my ignorance?
Last edited by EQWoody at Mar 18, 2012,
Neck repairs are never going to be cheap, but it is a structurally crucial part of the guitar. Maybe ask around for a bit to see if you can get a better deal, but I don't think it's going to be much cheaper than that.

Considering that similar guitars are being sold for around $1200, you may consider 300 to be a decent investment. After all, what use is a guitar you can't play?

EDIT: also, if you keep it in good condition, the price might go up over time.
Last edited by sashki at Mar 18, 2012,