Poll: Which active pup for versatility?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which active pup for versatility?
Seymour Duncan Livewire Dave Mustaine Set
1 13%
EMG JH Set
1 13%
Seymour Duncan Gus G set
1 13%
EMG 61x/60x set
5 63%
Voters: 8.
Thread pretty much says it all. I'm looking for the most versatile set of active pups I can find. I can offer personal opinions on them (I want to know if they're erroneous), but what I perceive may be incorrect due to the "flavoring" of amps used in demo videos, or in case where I've played them myself, my half stack gives them (playing on a Spider IV HD150 half stack with celestion g12p80 speakers in the cab).

Seems to me that the seymour duncan livewire dave mustaine pickups have some pretty good upper mids, but suffer a bit in the lower mids. Conversely the EMG JH set seems quite the opposite. The seymour duncan gus g set seems a lot like it would have the same percieved flaw as the dave mustaine set, and the emg 81x/60x would be much in line with the JH set.

I need something that can take me from ringing angelic sound to post mortem in nothing flat. Also, I'm looking at getting a Bogner Uberschall later if that would make much of a difference in allowing the pups to breathe a bit more.
After I get the bogner, which pup route do you think I should go?

Also random question, I've heard the bogners can be pretty sensitive and sometimes even a bit finicky about dialing in your sound. Any idea if this is true or false?
Quote by zero72285

Also random question, I've heard the bogners can be pretty sensitive and sometimes even a bit finicky about dialing in your sound. Any idea if this is true or false?

1: Try some out if you can. If not, look for demos on ToneFinder or YouTube. I prefer the EMG X/JH set.

2: Beats me. Most expensive amps are like that though...
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
EMG ALX for your bridge, and whatever you want in neck. EMG 60. :P

The ALX is great. Better than the 81, imo
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Yeah. I've tried 2 of the 4 personally (The Dave Mustaine set which I own in a Les Paul, and my buddy has an Ibanez RG with the JH set). Perhaps the JH will liven up in the bogner with the all glorious presence knob.
ALX you say? Be kind of weird mixing an ALX which is a passive with an active. Also I think a lot of the sound of the ALX really comes from the ABQ accessory that comes included. Perhaps that thrown in with an 81 would wake it up to your ears?
Quote by zero72285

I'd say true. bought my Uberschall a while back and it probably took me about a month before i got to the point where i wasnt fiddling with the settings. now i just plug in and go and it gives me a chub every time. the presence and mid controls are where its at for this amp. when the presence is pinned to the left 5:00 or so...its a very scooped sound. i dont scoop my mids, but if you're into that, its enough to blow your internal organs out your brown-eye. as you turn it clockwise, it flattens out around noon and seems to bring the mids out the more you turn it, it does more but its hard to describe. and the mid control seems to react a little differently at each setting which, i think is what makes it so touchy. running a ts9 or an eq will help too, at times the bottom gets a little flubby.

'08 PRS singlecut
'11 Gibson Les paul studio
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Hughes and Kettner Triamp cab
Good to know. I may ocassionaly semi-scoop, but I don't go full blown scoop. No need to get lost in the mix over being a meat head. Also, if you've played with the FX loop, how well has that worked for you? I've heard some mixed things about it.
Quote by zero72285
Good to know. I may ocassionaly semi-scoop, but I don't go full blown scoop. No need to get lost in the mix over being a meat head. Also, if you've played with the FX loop, how well has that worked for you? I've heard some mixed things about it.

ive had some issues with it as far as matching levels and it sounds very odd with certain pedals, muffled, like someone threw a load of laundry on the cab.. mine doesnt seem to take pedals well. putting them out front though, ive had no problems. I believe i read somewhere that the loop was engineered to take a rack and not pedals, so much. and i know really you're only supposed to put delays and other time based effects in the loop, but i dont use any. so really it doesn't affect me much. everything works fine the way it's set up right now. i actually just use the fx loop send/cut knob dialed back a little bit as my regular volume and click it off for full volume for solos and shit instead of an extra boost pedal.

'08 PRS singlecut
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Quote by arteestic1
ive had some issues with it as far as matching levels and it sounds very odd with certain pedals, muffled, like someone threw a load of laundry on the cab.. mine doesnt seem to take pedals well. putting them out front though, ive had no problems. I believe i read somewhere that the loop was engineered to take a rack and not pedals, so much. and i know really you're only supposed to put delays and other time based effects in the loop, but i dont use any. so really it doesn't affect me much. everything works fine the way it's set up right now. i actually just use the fx loop send/cut knob dialed back a little bit as my regular volume and click it off for full volume for solos and shit instead of an extra boost pedal.

Good to know. Got a couple of racks I'm looking at anyways. On some stuff I like to throw on a bit of delay and chorus just to achieve a certain ethereal-ness to it. So slightly more back on topic, what pups do you have loaded in your axes and which is your favorite set amongst what you've got?
Quote by zero72285
Good to know. Got a couple of racks I'm looking at anyways. On some stuff I like to throw on a bit of delay and chorus just to achieve a certain ethereal-ness to it. So slightly more back on topic, what pups do you have loaded in your axes and which is your favorite set amongst what you've got?

my 83 gibson, sounds the best i think. its got the stock pups in it, which just sound effing mean, which is kinda pointless to mention because i dont think you'll find a set of those just laying around. next would be my schecter, it has emg 707x's in it. and the les paul, sadly is bringing up the rear.....gibsons quality these days is just dissapointing...but that aside, it's got the 490/498 combo i think. it doesnt sound bad....its the other stuff that concerned me quality-wise. anyway.....(A.D.D. is a bitch) but im going to throw some bare knuckle pups in there once i get back to work. ive heard they are the bees knees.

'08 PRS singlecut
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Quote by arteestic1
my 83 gibson, sounds the best i think. its got the stock pups in it, which just sound effing mean, which is kinda pointless to mention because i dont think you'll find a set of those just laying around. next would be my schecter, it has emg 707x's in it. and the les paul, sadly is bringing up the rear.....gibsons quality these days is just dissapointing...but that aside, it's got the 490/498 combo i think. it doesnt sound bad....its the other stuff that concerned me quality-wise. anyway.....(A.D.D. is a bitch) but im going to throw some bare knuckle pups in there once i get back to work. ive heard they are the bees knees.

Nice setup there. Wonder if higher rated pots might wake up the 490/498? Could I ask what other stuff its bothering you quality wise? I just tend to get interested in that kind of stuff. I just rebuilt an epi lp with a crack between the neck and head stock. Surprisingly plays better since my rebuild. BKPs do sound and look pretty mean. I think they might be kind of hard to find in the US though since they're made over in the UK. I've seen some places that carry some select BKPs, but not the whole line.
Quote by zero72285
Nice setup there. Wonder if higher rated pots might wake up the 490/498? Could I ask what other stuff its bothering you quality wise? I just tend to get interested in that kind of stuff. I just rebuilt an epi lp with a crack between the neck and head stock. Surprisingly plays better since my rebuild. BKPs do sound and look pretty mean. I think they might be kind of hard to find in the US though since they're made over in the UK. I've seen some places that carry some select BKPs, but not the whole line.

Thanks.....as far as quality issues.....the chambered body, the chincy plug and play wiring instead of soldered joints, the fact that i had to switch out the toggle after a month because the metal the contacts are made of was so thin they got tweaked from normal use and couldn't be reshaped, cheap plastic nut. it is a studio, but i mean damn.......gibson used to mean something. kinda like harley davidson used to...

'08 PRS singlecut
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Last edited by arteestic1 at Mar 17, 2012,
Quote by arteestic1
Thanks.....as far as quality issues.....the chambered body, the chincy plug and play wiring instead of soldered joints, the fact that i had to switch out the toggle after a month because the metal the contacts are made of was so thin they got tweaked from normal use and couldn't be reshaped, cheap plastic nut. it is a studio, but i mean damn.......gibson used to mean something. kinda like harley davidson used to...

The chambering I can't help with. Dunno if you're comfortable doing so, but where I was able to I'd go in with a soldering iron (and new pots) and just redo that. I had an epi zakk wylde lp that the switch did that on, but I was fortunate enough to reshape mine, kind of made me nervous though as I had to apply quite a bit of pressure with some pliers to make it right again. As far as the nut goes, I think www.stewmac.com has some good bone and synthetic nuts (some pre-notched, some not).

I hear you on that gripe. I can tolerate it to an extent with an epi, but when a Gibson is set up like that it's a crying shame.
Quote by zero72285
ALX you say? Be kind of weird mixing an ALX which is a passive with an active. Also I think a lot of the sound of the ALX really comes from the ABQ accessory that comes included. Perhaps that thrown in with an 81 would wake it up to your ears?

It is a passive, true, but the ABQ is active, pushing it a lot. imo, sounds better than an 81 (don't know about 81x, though...)
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
If you want versatile, actives really aren't the way to go.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
If you want versatile, actives really aren't the way to go.

Agreed. I have actives in my Dean and I love them. The X series has more headroom and less compression than the normal 81/60 which offers dynamics that are better for my playing style and a better clean tone for actives imo. However, I think passives will be much better suited for going from a sparkling clean to bone-crushing distortion. Actives aren't necessarily a one-trick-horse but they definitely don't suit themselves easily to certain sounds, and while the cleans are ok on my pups I would hardly call them sparkling lol. Maybe SD Invader in the bridge and JB in the neck?
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz