I suggest spending more than $50, and getting a decent hand drill and router. very handy tools to have.

I wouldn't buy anything cheap, they won't last, and might not even get the job done right.

maybe you could buy some good second hand tools off ebay or something...?
---
Not sure why you'd want a router for speaker holes. Jigsaw would be better.

Sears has some good tools, but on your budget you might want to try Harbor Freight. Both those stores shouldn't be too far from you and their inventory should be searchable online.

Craigslist might be a better option than eBay and don't rule out pawnshops either.

Careful with used rechargeables; often the batteries are shot. But Batteries Plus can rebuild them for about $60 and you might need to get it done within 2-4 years of getting a new one, too. The tool OEMs just don't make 'em like they used to, but Batteries Plus can fix that.
Quote by jetwash69
Not sure why you'd want a router for speaker holes. Jigsaw would be better.

Sears has some good tools, but on your budget you might want to try Harbor Freight. Both those stores shouldn't be too far from you and their inventory should be searchable online.

Craigslist might be a better option than eBay and don't rule out pawnshops either.

Careful with used rechargeables; often the batteries are shot. But Batteries Plus can rebuild them for about $60 and you might need to get it done within 2-4 years of getting a new one, too. The tool OEMs just don't make 'em like they used to, but Batteries Plus can fix that.

Routers make better holes.
See here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1399362&highlight=codemonk%27s+cab
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 18, 2012,
I made the speaker holes, as well as rounding off the edges using a router.
I have made speaker holes with jigsaws before. Those didn't come out nearly as nice.
Both those stores shouldn't be too far from you and their inventory should be searchable online.
And to add to my post, If you have to choose between a router OR a jigsaw, pick the jigsaw.
Its far more versatile.
It may not make as pretty of speaker holes that a router would, but you can always sand it smooth.
Thats how I did my first 2x12.
And to sand it smooth?
I took one of those, (what is it, 5 lbs of coffee?) metal coffee cans, and using duct tape and coarse abrasive material, and made a large sanding drum I could mount in a battery powered hand drill.
If you take that route, be VERY VERY careful, sharp metal edges from the cut up coffee can spinning around at 1000 or so RPM can be VERY dangerous
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 18, 2012,
OK,
The thing with using a router to make speaker holes is normally you want to cut no more than 1/4" of material per pass, so it could take 3-4 passes to cut the hole, depending on thickness of the board. I guess you could cut it around 1/8" smaller than you need it, then once you're all the way through, go back and lower the bit all the way and cut again to get the full diameter. Kind of a pain, though, and it will take a lot longer than cutting with a jigsaw. If you're good at jigsaw cuts and have the right blade you can do it nicely in one go, but that's a real art and most of us aren't woodworking artists.

Maybe the fastest way would be do a rough cut with the jigsaw, then clean it up with a router.

But if you're on a budget, you have to make compromises anyway.

Another fun way to make the hole is with a shotgun and buckshot. But I wouldn't try that at home
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 18, 2012,
Quote by jetwash69
OK,
The thing with using a router to make speaker holes is normally you want to cut no more than 1/4" of material per pass, so it could take 3-4 passes to cut the hole, depending on thickness of the board. I guess you could cut it around 1/8" smaller than you need it, then once you're all the way through, go back and lower the bit all the way and cut again to get the full diameter. Kind of a pain, though, and it will take a lot longer than cutting with a jigsaw. If you're good at jigsaw cuts and have the right blade you can do it nicely in one go, but that's a real art and most of us aren't woodworking artists.

Maybe the fastest way would be do a rough cut with the jigsaw, then clean it up with a router.

But if you're on a budget, you have to make compromises anyway.

Another fun way to make the hole is with a shotgun and buckshot. But I wouldn't try that at home

The ultimate in DIY!
I like it.

I've used jigsaw and router.
I just suck at making round holes with a jigsaw
Quote by jetwash69

...Another fun way to make the hole is with a shotgun and buckshot. But I wouldn't try that at home

Quote by CodeMonk

The ultimate in DIY!
I like it...

Yeah, you might need a router to clean that hole up. And you might have a few small stray holes and splintering beyond the line for the 12" circle.

Wasn't there some guy here who wanted to "relic" his guitar with a small caliber rifle? Maybe that was some other site...Seems a little extreme to me, but what do I know?
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 19, 2012,
You're on a tight budget? Powered hand drill and a keyhole saw
Not ideal (read, not a power tool) but a keyhole saw will get it done.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I just need something that will make clean speaker holes in cigar boxes along with drilling the holes for potentiometers, leds, off/on switches ect. I also need it to drill holes in metal so that i can build a few pedals as well.
Quote by caw1
I just need something that will make clean speaker holes in cigar boxes along with drilling the holes for potentiometers, leds, off/on switches ect. I also need it to drill holes in metal so that i can build a few pedals as well.

Well, an X-Acto knife will cut a cigar box.

But maybe this will do everything you need and be handy to have around:

http://cache.vendaria.com/vpop/VpopV6.html?ct=25&ctname=ui&fw=700&fh=520&logo=243&fv=10&ap=vnd_dremel_trio_rotary_tool&purl=MAIN_vendaria_test_account_sst481_v7&iid=dCdpfzuKLqmIIqJJqqqJfwKuIIlvqI&bg=FFFFFF&nm=BZOpener&curl=&err=0&title=Bosch%20Demo&tp=/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=Dremel+Trio

BTW, it's cheaper than most shotguns and easier to clean.
Quote by Flux'D
You're on a tight budget? Powered hand drill and a keyhole saw
Not ideal (read, not a power tool) but a keyhole saw will get it done.

+1

Buy a corded drill and some decent drill bits.
As you mentioned cigar boxes I assume you don't need to cut anythinganything big (like holes for 12" speakers in 3/4" plywood) so you can probably just drill a pilot hole and do the rest with a coping saw

edit: Just make sure its got adjustable speed
Last edited by seljer at Mar 20, 2012,
Solution:

Dremel 7300. Everything I need to make cigar box amplifier can be done with a Dremel, a screwdriver, a hacksaw, soldering iron + solder, and glue.

The Dremel 7300 (tho I should of gotten the Dremel 100 since it has better attachments) is the right size for projects like this, and there are lots of attachments for it. The only one not really available for the 7300 is the router. The one I bought was $18.99 at walmart, the Dremel 100 was $34.99, and in retrospect it would have been the better buy, mostly because it has a power cord, while the 7300 is a cordless/rechargeable.