Hi everyone, just started playing the electric guitar somewhat recently. Built up callus' and learned to maneuver around the fretboard pretty decently. But I am stuck on where to go, what to do. I'm pretty comfortable playing but I kind of just play the same few scales I learned on a youtube video and some guitar tabs I read (mostly easy stuff) I want to be able to play guitar a lot better and I'm trying to understand music theory (not discouraging me at all) But there is so much to learn about-- scales, chords, major - minor, I am not sure what tabs mean when they tell you to drop down c for a song, etc. Like I want to learn this stuff or a system of a down song but everything I try to look up is so... Jumbled or I have to drop down C or tune my guitar down a half step. That is like foreign language to me :/ Thanks for your help
Well Drop C means loosening your strings to change your tuning to Low E to C, A to G, D to C, G to F, B to A, and High E to D.

Go to Justinguitar.com He has a beginner course that works great, if you have a gaming console you might want to consider picking up a copy of Rocksmith. Its a great game regardless of your skill level but when freshly starting out its a great way to build up your skills quickly. Rocksmith will teach you a lot of songs as well as chords, scales, and most techniques through the use of minigames. Using the game and Justinguitar.com togeather as well as having a buddy to learn and work with you is absolutely the best way to learn if you cant get a good teacher.
Quote by Darkdevil725
Well Drop C means loosening your strings to change your tuning to Low E to C, A to G, D to C, G to F, B to A, and High E to D.

Go to Justinguitar.com He has a beginner course that works great, if you have a gaming console you might want to consider picking up a copy of Rocksmith. Its a great game regardless of your skill level but when freshly starting out its a great way to build up your skills quickly. Rocksmith will teach you a lot of songs as well as chords, scales, and most techniques through the use of minigames. Using the game and Justinguitar.com togeather as well as having a buddy to learn and work with you is absolutely the best way to learn if you cant get a good teacher.

You have to understand, I am new. Like 3 weeks new. I'm trying to grasp a bit of music theory but it's not helping if I don't know the foundations. I went on his site, learned a few scales, the D chord. Just it's stuff I don't see myself using. I can do scales I learn easily but trying to do something like Radio/video intro system of a down is way to complex for my fingers.

I guess I'm just lost
Try going to the site I mentioned and starting with the basics. Even though SOAD doesnt really do anything too hard anything they do can still be a challenge to newer players. And I promise you, you will use those chords at some point eventually and you might not even realise your using it.
Music theory is very important. I'm still learning it myself and I've been playing for almost a decade.

But if you're just starting you should concentrate more on just getting comfortable with the instrument and developing proper technique. Learn a few scales (minor pentatonic for sure) and chords for now, but don't worry about all the technicalities just yet. Main thing is to make sure you're not developing bad habits or learning how to play "the wrong way". Because then later on it'll hinder you and you'll have to go back and relearn certain techniques. It sounds obvious, but start out easy and don't get crazy with tunings. Stick to standard. I don't know what you're into but playing simple ACDC like riffs is the best thing you can do when you're starting out. Timing is the most important aspect to ANY instrument. You have to develop a sense of rhythm, and starting out playing tricky songs will make that process that much harder.

-Tony
Last edited by X-plorer88 at Mar 19, 2012,
Quote by X-plorer88
Music theory is very important. I'm still learning it myself and I've been playing for almost a decade.

But if you're just starting you should concentrate more on just getting comfortable with the instrument and developing proper technique. Learn a few scales (minor pentatonic for sure) and chords for now, but don't worry about all the technicalities just yet. Main thing is to make sure you're not developing bad habits or learning how to play "the wrong way". Because then later on it'll hinder you and you'll have to go back and relearn certain techniques. It sounds obvious, but start out easy and don't get crazy with tunings. Stick to standard. I don't know what you're into but playing simple ACDC like riffs is the best thing you can do when you're starting out. Timing is the most important aspect to ANY instrument. You have to develop a sense of rhythm, and starting out playing tricky songs will make that process that much harder.

-Tony

This 100x over.

Thats why I keep suggesting justinguitar.com his lessons will teach you all this and he will also teach you music theory in bits rather than all at once. In the Basics section he teaches you proper techniques, good practicing habits, and other useful things that will help you get comfortable with the instrument and really learn how to play it. And if you still have not checked out the site yet then keep note that the lessons are free and well organized. If you can try to find some friends that play as well, learning is a lot easier when you have friends that can help.

In total honestly I know nothing about music theory, when I started playing I jumped straight into learning songs and it has crippled my progress, even after playing for over 4 years I still struggle on what most people consider relatively easy songs.
justinguitar is definitely a good suggestion.

Also, just a tip, if you want to moreorless learn a song that is in a different tuning and you don't plan to play along with the song itself, if it's in any sort of standard tuning (half step down, whole step down, and such) you can learn it without retuning really, it'll just be transposed up a half step or whatever. You'd still definitely recognize everything. Same with drop tunings.
Arms Of Empire
^ ^ ^ Band I am involved in ^ ^ ^
Please check it out? ;D

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S
And I promise you, you will use those chords at some point eventually and you might not even realise your using it.