Bare with me on the noob question, but is there a correct side of a condenser mic to record with? Also when powering my condenser with phantom power i also had my sm57 hooked up to, will that cause any damage to it? Thanks
On condenser mics, record with the label, or logo, side facing you, or the vocalist, instrument, or whatever you're recording.

As long as your SM57 had a TRS or XLR cable connected to it, phantom power will not damage it. Some cables with XLR or TRS connectors on them only run two conductors, which will damage your SM57, 58 or any dynamic mic.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Mar 17, 2012,
Quote by KG6_Steven
...Some cables with XLR or TRS connectors on them only run two conductors, which will damage your SM57, 58 or any dynamic mic.

Source? I've never heard that. I know phantom power will hurt most ribbon mics, but as far as I know, the only benefit to the third conductor is that it balances grounding between the shield and the ground strand for the sake of noise reduction.

48 volts is 48 volts regardless of whether the ground is balanced or not.

But I'm always open to learn new things, so I'd appreciate a source for this info. Everything else I've read on the topic (and I did a lot of research before building my own cables) indicates to me that this is not an issue--but I could have misinterpreted it...
I checked my recording book and also did some searching online, but cannot locate the source. This is something I read recently. The article talked about how some cheap cables with balanced connectors do not actually have balanced cable. The article went on to explain that this could damage a dynamic microphone. It is interesting to note, that I looked on the Shure website and they claim that phantom power supplies are current limited, and that miswiring or shorting a cable won't cause any problems. I did see a demonstration once, that used a miswired cable to supply phantom power to a ribbon mic and it ruined it. I guess the bottom line is, use balanced cables and it's not an issue.
Quote by KG6_Steven
I checked my recording book and also did some searching online, but cannot locate the source. This is something I read recently. The article talked about how some cheap cables with balanced connectors do not actually have balanced cable. The article went on to explain that this could damage a dynamic microphone. It is interesting to note, that I looked on the Shure website and they claim that phantom power supplies are current limited, and that miswiring or shorting a cable won't cause any problems. I did see a demonstration once, that used a miswired cable to supply phantom power to a ribbon mic and it ruined it. I guess the bottom line is, use balanced cables and it's not an issue.

Always good to learn more on a topic, so thanks for the additional insight.

I still wouldn't use phantom power on a ribbon mic, regardless of the cable. But maybe the real reason they tell you not to is because they know it's common for "balanced" cables not to really be balanced, and they'll have less disappointed customers and warranty fights if they just oversimplify the issue.

Thanks, KG6_Steven.
Ok. Here we go.

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/techtip.php?find=03/17/2005

I know this isn't the original source I read awhile back, but this supports what I was saying. Again, exercise some common sense, make sure your cables are truly balanced and there should be no problem. I build most of my own cables, so it's not an issue for me. When I do buy manufactured cables, I buy Mogami and Monster, so it's not an issue at all. If you're buying $5 balanced cables, you might want to check them with an ohmmeter first.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Ok. Here we go.

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/techtip.php?find=03/17/2005

I know this isn't the original source I read awhile back, but this supports what I was saying. Again, exercise some common sense, make sure your cables are truly balanced and there should be no problem. I build most of my own cables, so it's not an issue for me. When I do buy manufactured cables, I buy Mogami and Monster, so it's not an issue at all. If you're buying $5 balanced cables, you might want to check them with an ohmmeter first.

Awesome! I trust Sweetwater, too. Bought my LDC mic from them, and will always look to them first when I need something and have time to wait for it to ship.
depends on the polar pattern
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com