I'm just wondering if I can run my amp head through a direct box to a sound board? Just want to make sure nothing'll explode, I don't really don't know anything about this sort of thing.
It will sound terrible. The speaker and cabinet play a big deal in the "guitar sound" Otherwise, distortion and overdrive sounds terrible, harsh and fuzzy.

Get a Radial JDX. There are other direct boxes that have a speaker level input and cabinet simulation. I used to use the H&K Redbox, but the JDX sounds better, IMO. That's when I use amps only though...
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
It's a Peavey XXX. Well then what are my best options as far as getting my guitar into a soundboard? I'd rather not mic my half stack if at all possible
Last edited by ForProfeit at Mar 17, 2012,
It depends on your head.

If you have a Marshall JVM or any other with an XLR line out, then you don't even need the DI Box. It's basically like having one built-in to the the head. If you do that, it's best to have a cab plugged in too, but if not, then make sure you leave the amp on standby so the power amp section doesn't get energized w/o a load--that could make stuff explode. And be sure that your amp works like the JVM; some might still need the load through the speaker outs regardless. I'm only positive about the JVM.

A more affordable DI Box that can take high wattage speaker signal and convert it to line level is: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SDirect/ This will get your speaker signal out to feed the house PA, but what I don't know about this is whether it will also serve as the load for a tube amp (so you don't need a cab plugged in) or whether you might still hurt the amp.

Might want to give Sweetwater a call and ask them. I recommend Ryan Sloan if you don't already have your own sales engineer.

If you have an unbalanced 1/4" line out (not talking about a speaker output) then it can plug into a board nearby, but for a long run you want to feed it through a DI box so it can hook up to the XLR stage snake. Long runs will introduce noise if you do it with an unbalanced cable.
Oh, a XXX?

OK, crappy manual. But it does say the line out is post-power amp section, so you better keep a cab plugged in.

And it says the line out is "TS" (Tip/Sleeve), i.e., it's unbalanced, therefore any DI Box will be fine. And necessary to plug into an XLR cable, snake, or board input. And to avoid noise on long runs.

As for Rein's comment, it may or may not sound terrible. It depends on how good a job Peavey did with their speaker/cab emulation. Marshall did a good enough job with the JVM that you really don't need a cab unless you want the extra control from real-world micing. But that control is a double edged sword. Use a crappy cab or mic or sound guy and you'd have been better off with going into the board direct. I haven't done this with a Peavey, so I won't pretend to be able to help you there. You just gotta try it for yourself.

It might help to have a wireless guitar system so you can get out on the floor during sound check and hear it like the audience will.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 18, 2012,
That thing has an effects loop right? You probably wont break anything if you connect the effects loop out into the DI.

EDIT: On the other hand, Jetwash sounds like he knows more about this than me...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Mar 18, 2012,
I don't want to mic my cab because I'm playing for my church and I'd have to drag it up to the second story every sunday. It would pretty much be the most inconvenient thing in the world.
Quote by ForProfeit
I don't want to mic my cab because I'm playing for my church and I'd have to drag it up to the second story every sunday. It would pretty much be the most inconvenient thing in the world.

There are products out there that will simulate the load and not be as cumbursome as the cab. Maybe give Sweetwater a call and ask for Ryan Sloan. He should be able to tell you if they have anything like that, or where you could get one if they don't.

But if I were you, I'd buy one of these when it comes out next month, instead, and just plug it into the stage snake directly:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MustangFLR/

Then you don't even have to lug the head around.

Or if you really want tubes, there's this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ToneLabEX , but you'll also need a DI Box to plug into an XLR stage snake. Most churches seem to have those going to the mixing board in the back. They might even already have a DI Box you can use, but if anyone is up there with you playing electroaccoustic, they usually get the priority for the "house" DI. And those players almost never have their own.
On a seperate note, does your XXX have the same grill as this:

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80304881.pdf

If it does, then your church must be pretty progressive to not have a problem with that

I did a benefit show at a church one Sunday afternoon. We did the soundcheck on Saturday and I left my rig there overnight. They were asking me to turn it around until they heard I had a cover for it. The were relieved that there altar wouldn't be blashpemed by the Marshall logo for their Sunday morning services
My $0.02 here:

Quote by bluekirby7
I came in to laugh at this. I carried 100pds of gear up 3 flights of stairs for church, 3 times a week. You get used to it. haha

Oh and I'd recommend mic'ing as per other suggestions, over the DI. Speaking from many years of church experience as the sound board operator and guitarists.

1. You have stage sound, if you DI, you don't.

Not true. DI box goes in between the speaker and the amp, and still allows signal to pass through to the cab.

2. The cab might be a problem to control in the system depending on the gain it gives.

Cab give no gain. Are you talking about the level? The active DI's for guitar amps have pads to drop the level.

3. You can on and offset the mic on the cab for sound.

I agree, you may not like the cab sim in a DI box, and you'll be stuck with it. It will also probably not even be close to the sound from your cab.

4. If it's 100% in the house, depending on the setup, it might be difficult to adjust yourself and hear your tone unless you have an InEar headpiece or personal monitor.

See my response to point #1

Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

The only real solution I can think of with bypassing the cab and having a good guitar tone is Eleven rack/POD/Axe FX etc. and just line outing from them. which i know is a big difference besides what your asking but its a solution.
@Rein,

Where did that come from?

OP doesn't want to lug his cab around, so that whole business of a DI Box letting you still useg the cab as a monitor is moot.

And if you go into the house PA, then you'll be in the stage wedge monitors, too, so you don't need the in-ear monitors, or the cab.

If there are no stage monitors, you can plug a small combo into the effects loop output and use that. I've used a 5-watt solid state VOX DA5 like that and we could hear it over the accoustic drums at venues lacking stage monitors...so it doesn't take much and saves lugging a lot of gear around.
Quote by jetwash69
@Rein,

Where did that come from?

OP doesn't want to lug his cab around, so that whole business of a DI Box letting you still useg the cab as a monitor is moot.

I missed that. However, I don't think it's wise to stick with load boxes for this situation. It's probably the same cost to get a smaller, 1x12 cabinet and a speaker sim DI (Which every guitarist playing events like this should have) for this use. I bought a seismic audio guitar cab that's only $99, put a v30 in there and leave it at church.

And if you go into the house PA, then you'll be in the stage wedge monitors, too, so you don't need the in-ear monitors, or the cab.

I hope the op has his own monitor mix. Depending on the setup and soundman, sometimes there is only one mix. Almost always, you will not hear enough of yourself, depending on your ego, haha.

If there are no stage monitors, you can plug a small combo into the effects loop output and use that. I've used a 5-watt solid state VOX DA5 like that and we could hear it over the accoustic drums at venues lacking stage monitors...so it doesn't take much and saves lugging a lot of gear around.

I would think carrying a smaller cabinet would be lighter and easier than another combo for that reason.

I do concur with the previous suggestion of getting a floor modeler. An HD500 will sound just fine, be lighter, and maybe even let you leave your pedal board at home. An HD 500 or the even cheaper zoom G series will be cheaper/more convenient than a DI with good cabinet simulation (if you end up not liking the built in one) and a load box.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by ForProfeit

Buy a 1x12 and load it with an Eminence Swamp Thang. Problem solved.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Buy a 1x12 and load it with an Eminence Swamp Thang. Problem solved.

That doesn't solve the problem for the 52 pound XXX head. But the pedal would.

Especially one with XLR outs like an HD500, a Zoom G3, many Digitechs, or the Fender Floor Mustang. 'Cause then you don't even need a DI Box.
Quote by jetwash69

Especially one with XLR outs like an HD500, a Zoom G3, many Digitechs, or the Fender Floor Mustang. 'Cause then you don't even need a DI Box.

He never said he didn't want to take the amp. Just the cab, right? Because if he never wanted to take the head, then he wouldn't have asked the question about using a DI box. I still suggest getting a modeler, but if he wants to take the head, it'll be much easier to get a 1x12, than a 4x12.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

def depends on the head, many of the 80s guys did this in order to manage those huge racks, but they had a special load box, not a run of the mill DI
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by jetwash69

Well, he mentioned that the hauling a 4x12 upstairs was a problem. If you can't move a 52 pound head, get a different amp.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Yeah, y'all are right that he was talking about the cab at first.

But that was before he identified the real problem, which is not wanting to lug gear up stairs.

And since that head still needs a load, he's better off just using a floor modeler. Plus the XXX might get him excommunicated from his church with those mudflap girls all over the grill.
Wow thanks for all the feedback! Ok here's the complete situation:
I have a Peavey XXL head, I'm sorry I said XXX. I put XXL then edited to XXX because I'm stupid.
Lugging that around isn't a problem, its just that I don't want to take the cab. The main problem is that we have church in a movie theater because we don't have our own building yet. So the head I can deal with since its somewhat portable. But the cab is kind of a no go because we're on a relatively strict time limit as far as set up and tear down. I actually looked into getting a smaller cab at first but the red box and other such gear sounds like a better alternative. I do have direct boxes that I can use, my church bought like 10 of em. I'm not made of money either, I'm in college. So the red box seemed like a good fix since it's only around 100.
Side note, I do go to a pretty progressive church haha
XXX = tube. XXL = solid state. One letter, but still a big, big, big difference.

Not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure you don't need a load with a solid state amp. At least the manual doesn't say anything about needing to have a load. Most tube amp manuals do have a warning about that. Might be a good idea to switch down to the 25 watt mode just to minimize risk.

Also this weighs about 20% less than the XXX head would.

Church in a movie theater, huh? I take it there's no stage monitors, then? Might want to bring at least a small cab. You could even buy a crap Marhshall MG combo & disconnect the built-in amp, then wire the speaker to a 1/4" jack from Radio Shack, and plug it in like you do your regular cab.
No there are stage monitors. The set up is really nice, everything you would expect. Yeah sorry about the confusion, and again I really appreciate the help. I wish I could like...upvote or rep you or something. So I could possibly just get a red box or something and not need a load? I was looking at some multieffects units with amp modeling and the idea is interesting, I didn't even think about that
Quote by ForProfeit
No there are stage monitors. The set up is really nice, everything you would expect. Yeah sorry about the confusion, and again I really appreciate the help. I wish I could like...upvote or rep you or something. So I could possibly just get a red box or something and not need a load? I was looking at some multieffects units with amp modeling and the idea is interesting, I didn't even think about that

These MFX pedals have come a long way. You might like the HD500 more than your XXL once you get past the factory settings and tweak it to your liking. It might be tempting to skimp and get an HD300 or HD400, but the extra features and functionality of the HD500 are well worth it.

My GNX4 represents the previous generation of pedals, but even that's good enough that I can leave my Marshall all-tube half-stack at home and just plug the pedal in direct to the PA.
That's interesting. I looked into it, I think I'm gonna save up and buy one sometime when I have some expendable cash. I recently found a cheap amp on craigslist that I picked up today so problem solved for now. But thank you all so much for the help! I'm definitely using this info for the future