Sometimes, when I bend, I get a sharp pain in my forearm that lasts less than a second. I think this may have been caused by the bad technique I used to have (I used to have long practice sections with my wrist bent too much). What's up?
never play if you are experiencing pain. take a week off. take it from me, i generally played about 12 hours a day and kept going through pain. it got to a point where i was told i would have to wait for it to heal (tendinitis in both arms), or risk surgery. i haven't played since January and i'm still in pain every day.

its really an awful feeling knowing that you are the reason you can't do the 1 thing in the world that keeps you happy. so take time off.
Quote by jpaolilli
real talk

pain is not gain.

if anything hurts stop right away,

This. Just this.
stretch and ice, as well as trying to find better technique that results in no pain

tendonitis is a real *****
Definitely listen to the advice given. Take a break. Consider going to see your doctor.
Gah, okay. I really don't want to stop playing, though, there's nothing else I'd rather do.

Guess this means I have to focus on theory. Is it okay if I practice without touching the fretboard? Things like alternate picking?

And I'm not going to see my doctor until May. What will they do about it?
Quote by Slipping

Depends on the diagnosis. If you rest it and it heals then they don't have to do anything. But if the pain persists there are several things they could do. (physical therapy, anti-inflammatory, massage therapy, etc.)
Quote by Slipping
Gah, okay. I really don't want to stop playing, though, there's nothing else I'd rather do.

Guess this means I have to focus on theory. Is it okay if I practice without touching the fretboard? Things like alternate picking?

Don't worry about alt picking cuz it wont help much right now, especially because you won't be able to practice synching your fretting hand, work on theory. learn more about chord construction and the way chords work with eachother. and work on reading sheet music. these are things you can work on that will give your muscles a rest, trust me its worth resting them for a bit.

also there could be a medical reason as to why this is happeining. things like tendonitis, arteritis, and carpal tunnel syndrome can be developed from playing guitar too much.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
Don't worry about alt picking cuz it wont help much right now, especially because you won't be able to practice synching your fretting hand, work on theory.

isolating the picking hand will help if his picking is lagging behind. there's no point trying to sync them up if 1 is way to sloppy. practicing switching strings, odd groupings and odd timings/rhythms will help.
Quote by Marshmelllow
isolating the picking hand will help if his picking is lagging behind. there's no point trying to sync them up if 1 is way to sloppy. practicing switching strings, odd groupings and odd timings/rhythms will help.

true but the way I figure it is less tempting to use the other hand. or at least I've found it too tempting in the past, when I've had problems like this.

but then again I'm also assuming that he isn't struggleing horribly with one hand, any way I see your point and will change my advice to: definately practice that way if you can fight the urge to fret.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Thanks so much for the advice, guys. I'll practice my right hand technique and try to learn things that aren't intervals and scales, lol.
This has happened to me before, and it seems to be a result of playing too much or practising bends too much without the necessary technique or strength to keep going for long periods of time. I've been on a break for the past month or so due to wrist pains, however picking up the guitar again, I'm a lot better than I was a month ago. I know it sounds strange, but sometimes going at something too much can be detrimental both physically and mentally for your playing. Take a step back for a while, enjoy other things - it won't harm, and as I've said, I've actually seen significant benefit from it.

My wrist pains, by the way, were not a result of playing the guitar. In fact, the only time they didn't experience pain was when I was playing, however I didn't think it was a good idea to potentially aggravate them any more. I'd always thought it was RSI from typing, and it half is, but I noticed it's actually a ganglion cyst right above my wrist that appears in an awkward place every so often and causes pain. I realise this is OT, but just in case you ever get wrist pains, look out for that..
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Mar 19, 2012,