So I picked up a cheap bass for the kid today, got a killer deal on some Sperzal locking tuners ($60 for a set of bass and guitar)....but the sperzals are way toooo small for the holes. With my automotive experience and supplies out in the garage I found a can of "kitty hair" Bondo. I was thinking of Taping the front of the headstock to cover the holes and then filling the holes from the backside.
Then when it dries in an hour sand down the backside flush and redrill new tuner holes in that. I think it should work quite well, what do you guys think and what do you guys do if yer holes are to big?
What the hell!!!
Just buy some bushings to resize the holes. Check out Stewmac. And that's a big no on the bondo.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Cool I didnt know those existed.

But why would the bondo be bad, it wont expand and it shouldnt shrink in a guitar.

Damn it was too good to be true, so I looked a little more into those bushings. They DO NOT make them in the size I need , my holes are 9/16 (14ishmm)the tuners are 7/16(11-12mm).

Doing the bondo thing today. I will let you guys know how it goes. Its a $30 bass.....cant eff it up too bad.
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Mar 18, 2012,
Can you ream the holes to accept the proper bushing? If not I would rather fill the holes with hardwood dowels and wood glue. Just as cheap and easier IMO, and you'd end up with better results I would think. Good luck whatever you go with.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
The Bondo won't hold the string tension. Are you crazy? Bondo sucks on cars and is not structural at all.
Quote by R45VT
The Bondo won't hold the string tension. Are you crazy? Bondo sucks on cars and is not structural at all.

I agree, I dont think the bondo will work.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I am sorry I did not take any pictures. But the Bondo worked slick. And it was free leftover from a car project.
I dont think a glued in wood dowel would have held up to drilling it out to 1/8 of gap thats a 1/16 all the way around,I think that wood would splinter or chunk out. I needed to go down from 9/16 to 7/16.
The hardest part was getting any trapped air out before it set. Went for an hour bike ride with my kid and when we came back it was as hard as a rock. Sanded it down even and drilled it out.
This was kitty hair type with strands of fiber glass in it. Strong as anything, more likely harder than wood in 1/16 thickness. If I have any long term issues I will let you guys know.

And damn Sperzals are cool.
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Mar 19, 2012,
Big mistake.Will not last.Way too much tension .You should of glued in wood and redrilled.
Quote by danvwman
I am sorry I did not take any pictures. But the Bondo worked slick. And it was free leftover from a car project.
I dont think a glued in wood dowel would have held up to drilling it out to 1/8 of gap thats a 1/16 all the way around,I think that wood would splinter or chunk out. I needed to go down from 9/16 to 7/16.
The hardest part was getting any trapped air out before it set. Went for an hour bike ride with my kid and when we came back it was as hard as a rock. Sanded it down even and drilled it out.
This was kitty hair type with strands of fiber glass in it. Strong as anything, more likely harder than wood in 1/16 thickness. If I have any long term issues I will let you guys know.

And damn Sperzals are cool.

Why bother asking for advice when you ignore it?
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
You used Bondo on a guitar?

I'm not debating its structural quality, but I would never use it on a guitar...
I pride myself on my humility.
Well I did get useful info about the bushings I did not know existed and I wanted to share my solution with you guys, this is a information sharing site/forum is it not?. Whats wrong with that?

I did not ignore anything. If it was a good guitar and if bushings existed in the size I need I would use those. If it were a vintage Gibson or Fender I would not do what I did.

And this stuff is as hard as JB weld, bondo is basicly a 2 part epoxy fortified with fiberglass strands. Boats are made out of it, are you guys saying boats are not structurally sound?
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
And this stuff is as hard as JB weld, bondo is basicly a 2 part epoxy fortified with fiberglass strands. Boats are made out of it, are you guys saying boats are not structurally sound?

No, they're saying that, over time...the string tension WILL cause the bondo to eventually crack. It may also cause other issues.