Hello UGers!

So after reading the answers to my previous posts I've decided that I like what this Peavey Vypyr has to offer.

I've read the amp is good for metal and rock music and also has a USB/MIDI output for recording. It costs around $450-$550. It has several presets and effects which can be changed according to your taste.

What my question now is:

So putting half a thousand into an amp is not an everyday event which is why I'm wondering is there a better amp which fits into the above category and the price is pretty much the same too?

Thanks!
you will soon come to realize taht you really dont need all those effects and amp modeling crap. if your putting that kind of money into an amp i think you'd be able to find something a little better than the vypyr.

if your at the $600 mark you could do a 6505 combo, blackstar ht-40 (there will be alot of shit for this because its a hybrid that was falsely advertised, but it sounds great so i could care less how its built), jet city jca22h plus a decent 212, jca50c

i'm really not a fan of modeling amps, especially the vypyr series. lots of people say the vypyr tubes sound better, but its a modeler one way or another and wont ever sound quite as good and solid as the amps it tries to emulate. personal opinion...
You are right about the effects, I currently have a Fender Mustang amp and I don't use all those effects. I only use them when I fool around with some other friends. Some effects makes such strange sound I have no idea how to corporate it into a song

I've heard of these blackstar amps too, also that they are good. I'll check it out and make a comparison. And thanks a lot!

***BTW we both have Schecter guitars That's cool buddy :P

Quote by andrerist
you will soon come to realize taht you really dont need all those effects and amp modeling crap. if your putting that kind of money into an amp i think you'd be able to find something a little better than the vypyr.

if your at the $600 mark you could do a 6505 combo, blackstar ht-40 (there will be alot of shit for this because its a hybrid that was falsely advertised, but it sounds great so i could care less how its built), jet city jca22h plus a decent 212, jca50c

i'm really not a fan of modeling amps, especially the vypyr series. lots of people say the vypyr tubes sound better, but its a modeler one way or another and wont ever sound quite as good and solid as the amps it tries to emulate. personal opinion...
Really comes down to what styles of music you want to play. And whether you can 'open up the taps'. At TV level volumes (and for metal), I'd probably go for the vypyr 60 over a 6505 1x12 combo. I'm still on the fence for selling my amp, cab and pedals to buy a vypyr 60. Where I live, I just can't put the 6505 to full use. Sounds dull and lifeless at the volumes I play at most of the time. The 2nd factor is the ability to get a wider range of tones out of the modeler. And 3rd would be the ease of changing simple effects and amp models (no more tap dancing on my pedal board).
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I've owned a Vypyr 30 (Not the tube) for about 8 months now and I sort of wish I carried on saving for a proper tube amp. I only use one amp model, a stomp box and a bit of reverb, and the effects are pretty pointless. I may as well have just gotten a proper tube amp (Which is what I'm doing now)

Don't get me wrong, they're good amps, but they do sound pretty digital, and I dislike how "fake" it feels because of it not having it's own tone (It's trying to be something it's not)

They're good for recording though
Quote by andrerist

Some people actually do need the versatility the Vypyr offers. I sold my 5150 after I got my Vypyr Tube, because it was just so limited, it didn't cut it for me. I play blues, classic rock, alt metal, death metal, etc. etc. etc.. I love that the Vypyr actually gives me those sounds, rather than a simple amp that can "kinda do all those sounds, but not really".

As for modeling amps not sounding as good as amps it models... no shit. It's a $450-600 amp modeling $1000-4000 dollar amps. The point is that it sounds damn good for how much it costs. I would not recommend a Blackstar or a 6505+ combo over one, from a tone perspective (or a reliability perspective, for that matter).

YMMV
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Many of you seem to have Vypyr 60 Tube amps but I've read they tend to lock/freeze up.. What's up with that?
Does that only happen when you suddenly and often change the presets, probably with a pedal?

I've also read by one person who got one and was disappointed and had to change his tube.. Either this guy was just an idiot or was he telling the truth?

If you can please pass me on the details from this Vypyr.. I trust you than random people on random review sites Thanks!
Quote by Devilish Dave
Many of you seem to have Vypyr 60 Tube amps but I've read they tend to lock/freeze up.. What's up with that?
Does that only happen when you suddenly and often change the presets, probably with a pedal?

I've also read by one person who got one and was disappointed and had to change his tube.. Either this guy was just an idiot or was he telling the truth?

If you can please pass me on the details from this Vypyr.. I trust you than random people on random review sites Thanks!

I have a Vypyr 60, and I love it. As Offworld said, it's great. Yes, it has frozen on me once (only once), but I was messing around with renaming a patch on the Sanpera II (which I would recommend you do slowly and gently, given the opportunity arises). I've used the Vypyr live, and at first I was nervous (because I heard the same freeze-up report that you did), but now I trust that the amp will be reliable for me.

About the tubes, I have no idea. I haven't changed mine, and I bought it used.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
I've owned a Vypyr 30 watt and my rhythm player uses the 120watt tube combo. They're versatile as shit and they definitely have their uses, but tone wise I don't feel they match up to an actual valve amp, even ones in their price range. I don't really feel like the tube version is much better than the SS either, if at all. To me, they're muddier and more digital-sounding sounding than my Valveking, and since I don't need more than solid cleans and marshally overdrive, there's no way I'd take the Vypyr over my Valveking.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by bAngiel01
I have a Vypyr 60, and I love it. As Offworld said, it's great. Yes, it has frozen on me once (only once), but I was messing around with renaming a patch on the Sanpera II (which I would recommend you do slowly and gently, given the opportunity arises). I've used the Vypyr live, and at first I was nervous (because I heard the same freeze-up report that you did), but now I trust that the amp will be reliable for me.

About the tubes, I have no idea. I haven't changed mine, and I bought it used.

Thanks for the input. I'm glad that such freezing has only occurred once for you. I guess when you use the amp properly then such problems should not arise. As for the tube changing, I guess I'll just forget what that fool wrote. Maybe his product was already broken.

It seems I'll be getting this Vypyr 60 then.

For my last question, when recording using the USB output. Is the quality good and clean? Does the AMP come with a disc or a program? Is it also possible to update the amp through the Internet with the USB?
My Tube 120H has freaked out once. I think it has something to do with overheating - mine is right against the wall, so it gets pretty hot. But it hasn't happened since the one time it did, and it was perfectly fine the next day. It also had nothing to do with switching channels, it was just kinda random.

I've also updated the firmware on it, so that could have something to do with it.

I've had no issues with my tubes at all.

I haven't figured out the USB yet, honestly. I haven't really tried either though, as I bought the amp for the amp, the USB stuff was just icing on the cake. The line out/headphone jack sounds pretty decent though, when plugged into my pc.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I like the USB feature. It can be a pain (at least with GarageBand it can), but it works fine if your patient enough to iron everything out. For some reason, I only experience trouble when launching and plugging in. After I mess around for a while, everything evens out and I'm firing on all cylinders.
I'll say this, once I get my hands on an SM-57, no more USB.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Thanks to you all for helping me decide. I think I'm gonna stick with the Vypyr 60, I'll buy it tomorrow.

No need to write here anymore let's let this thread expire. Later! Thanks again!
Just to clarify, eventually, if you keep the amp long enough, you will need to replace the tubes. They do go bad eventually, though it is usually a couple years at least in between changes. Sorry to keep the thread going, just wanted to make sure you understood that.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Just to clarify, eventually, if you keep the amp long enough, you will need to replace the tubes. They do go bad eventually, though it is usually a couple years at least in between changes. Sorry to keep the thread going, just wanted to make sure you understood that.

No problem buddy, I thank you for letting me know but in a few years I guess by then I'll be able to rack up enough money for a new tube or maybe even a new amp Thanks for the heads up though :P