some time ago our bass player backstabbed our drummer and our drummer cant be friends with him anymore.

so he's not in the band anymore.
this is also in addition to being late all the time and not practicing and other problems that have been persistent for a long ****ign time, so he totally had it coming.

now, the problem

we haven't been able to find any bass player.
all of the ones we know that can and will play our music are taken by other bands and can't dedicate any time to us.
(we're still looking though)

it hasn't been that long, its been almost a month but yeah its hard to find a bass player.

also, in addition to looking for a bass player, our singer has taken up the bass and is practicing it, so he can sing and play at the same time, which everybody is totally psyched about.

is this a good idea? will it take too long for him to learn how to play bass and sing?
(our music isn't exactly easy to play by the way)

or should we just focus all our efforts on finding a new player? or do we get our old guy back? D:
Give him simple bass lines until you find a full-time bassist who can play complex things. A vocalist with free hands can do much more crowd and live-show interaction.
Quote by Aralingh
Give him simple bass lines until you find a full-time bassist who can play complex things. A vocalist with free hands can do much more crowd and live-show interaction.

This. Just look at Sting. A popular and critically acclaimed bassist/singer. Yet boring as can be on stage.
Singing while playing bass will only enhance the singer's musical ability and experience. I'd say it's a positive. Keep at it until a dedicated bassist comes along. Who knows? You might like the stripped down smaller lineup anyways.
It could be to your advantage if your singer picks up the bass, having a smaller lineup makes it easier to organise practice and such so i'd go for it.
Hey there.
One thing that makes a vocalist that plays an instrument boring is he/she is tied to a Mic Stand some place... Get the vocalist a wirless setup both for vocals and instrument so they can still move around on stage...

Could help a bit....
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
could be good I mean just look at KISS...
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.