Hello everyone, I don't post here often so I apologise if this is a stupid question.

I've been playing guitar for about 9 years now.
I've mostly been learning songs, from tabs and by ear. I'm not really the kind of person to practice for 6 hours a day. I try to retain a leisurely approach to keep it from becoming a chore.

I would like to start writing my own music and develop my own style, but I'm not sure where to even begin.

Right now I'm trying to practice technique (so I can execute a wider range of ideas) and transcribing music by ear (to establish a better connection between the mental and the physical aspects of playing).

I don't know if these things will actually help. I don't know how to compose music, or the steps I need to take to learn how to do it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Improvise, if you come up with something good, write it down. There's no "right" approach to songwriting, anything works.
Are you learning the full songs? Or just random riffs and solos here and there?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by sashki
I try to learn complete songs but I often find the solos too hard, so I end up just learning the rhythm parts and moving on to something else.

You might find what you're looking for at our site below. Music Theory applied to the guitar helps you understand the big picture, especially when writing. I feel it opens doors and reveals doors you wouldn't know were there as easily, as if you were writing blind.

Best,

Sean