Cycling party as in, group sport. Cycling along with some other people.

I've been cycling for over 14 years, and for the first time, I feel like this summer I could spice things up a bit to cycle with other people. Now, I don't do this just for the fun, it's part of my work-out, so I wouldn't call it a "lovely stroll along the beach", even though I love every minute of it. I'm usually doing long-length rides, high speed, and up-the-hill stuff.

What would be the optimal number of people for these kind of things? I plan to ride the bike EVERY day of the summer for at least 2 hours, and perhaps 1 day off during the week.

I'm thinking somewhere between 2 and 4. I suppose it would be hard to find more than 3 people who are willing to ride every day and can keep up with me, speed and strength-wise: a few medium-difficulty hills along my main cycling route and I usually do a couple up-down-up-down rings as exercise until I can't feel my legs.

Now obviously it's also to be a little competitive to make me work-out harder, but it's all friendly. Any ideas?
Depends on them, really. I biked every day for last summer and couldn't really find anyone to match my speed and endurance, so I had to slow down most of the time. If you find people your match then 3-4 sounds good.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Depends on them, really. I biked every day for last summer and couldn't really find anyone to match my speed and endurance, so I had to slow down most of the time. If you find people your match then 3-4 sounds good.

I can't stand that, I really love "hardcore" bike workouts, the ones when I can't feel anything when I get home and just lie down. Usually I'd just race with pro cyclists, around of them around here, or with buses, though they usually win. I ride outside the center of the city, a lot of bike roads here that go along the main roads and coastline, so you can race with cars and buses if you feel up to it.

I'm definitely going for at least 1 partner, don't know if I could find 2 more. Not even sure I could find one.

edit:

I'm also looking for a new bike to buy, current offer I'm looking at is
26 " Mountainbike Dunlop

I know it's a "mountain bike", but that's actually something I want because my back tires on my old bike always pop due the fact I don't like to stop to go over obstacles.

IS this an adult-size bike? Seems a bit small to me, or is it normal for mountain bikes?
Last edited by Aralingh at Mar 18, 2012,
26" as far as I know refers to the wheel size, which sounds about right for a mountain bike.

This thread really makes me want to go out and buy a new bike. I'd probably use it about twice though so there's really no point -_-

Edit: Yeah, definitely seems right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_bike
Quote by whoomit
26" as far as I know refers to the wheel size, which sounds about right for a mountain bike.

This thread really makes me want to go out and buy a new bike. I'd probably use it about twice though so there's really no point -_-

Edit: Yeah, definitely seems right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_bike

How's this bike in size compared to a normal adult one? I'm not a big guy but I like to feel comfortable, I'm definitely trying it before buying, but I still want to know up ahead.
Quote by Aralingh
I can't stand that, I really love "hardcore" bike workouts, the ones when I can't feel anything when I get home and just lie down. Usually I'd just race with pro cyclists, around of them around here, or with buses, though they usually win. I ride outside the center of the city, a lot of bike roads here that go along the main roads and coastline, so you can race with cars and buses if you feel up to it.

I'm definitely going for at least 1 partner, don't know if I could find 2 more. Not even sure I could find one.

I can't really do those anymore because of my left knee, but I get that fix at the gym instead. Last summer I got into an inoffical race, though, on my way home some random bikers - none who seemed to know eachother - run me past, so I run them past, then some other guy ran us all past, someone ran him past and it just kept going like that for 10 minutes on a narrow road. Was really unexpected.

Anyways, atleast 2-4 people. If you've got inexperienced bikers the first few times can be slow. Try going camping while you're at it.

Quote by Aralingh
IS this an adult-size bike? Seems a bit small to me, or is it normal for mountain bikes?

It's normal for mountain bikes.

For more questions, we got a biking thread here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1454394

And an outdoors thread here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1523078
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Aralingh

edit:

I'm also looking for a new bike to buy, current offer I'm looking at is
26 " Mountainbike Dunlop

I know it's a "mountain bike", but that's actually something I want because my back tires on my old bike always pop due the fact I don't like to stop to go over obstacles.

(Invalid img)

DO NOT GET THAT BIKE TS! I got one last year because I needed a relatively cheap bike to commute to and from work. The first one all the wheels were buckled and the gears never sat right. The second one the brakes and gears were unusable. I got my money back after about 2 weeks and got a Halfords one, which I also would not recommend.
When I first read "Optimal cycling party size," I thought the thread would be about the best number of people to go out partying with, such that the movement back and forth between parties would be maximally efficient.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Mar 18, 2012,
Quote by Kensai
I can't really do those anymore because of my left knee, but I get that fix at the gym instead. Last summer I got into an inoffical race, though, on my way home some random bikers - none who seemed to know eachother - run me past, so I run them past, then some other guy ran us all past, someone ran him past and it just kept going like that for 10 minutes on a narrow road. Was really unexpected.

Anyways, atleast 2-4 people. If you've got inexperienced bikers the first few times can be slow. Try going camping while you're at it.

It's normal for mountain bikes.

For more questions, we got a biking thread here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1454394

And an outdoors thread here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1523078

Imo, that's how it should happen, and that's how I do it. Anonymous races, just pass some random dude really fast to agitate him and the fun starts.

Quote by SG_dave
DO NOT GET THAT BIKE TS! I got one last year because I needed a relatively cheap bike to commute to and from work. The first one all the wheels were buckled and the gears never sat right. The second one the brakes and gears were unusable. I got my money back after about 2 weeks and got a Halfords one, which I also would not recommend.

You sure yours wasn't just screwed? Well, I noticed that it's cheap, but I can't afford to spend much, my old bike works good, but it's like 8 years old, so I can't go really fast on it and I can't do crazy shit without breaking it.
Last edited by Aralingh at Mar 18, 2012,
Any size group works. More important than numbers is that the group match up somewhat in terms of how fast and far they want to ride. With big groups of riders, like at tours, natural subgroups seem to form, grouped by speed.
Quote by CrAzY-RiLeY
so..you wear tights?

No way, I drive around 50% of time shirtless showing off my abs in shorts or jeans while wearing sunglasses.
Zero, you clog up the roads & make it awkward for me when driving.
Manchester United
Quote by Aralingh
No way, I drive around 50% of time shirtless showing off my abs in shorts or jeans while wearing sunglasses.

short shorts?
Quote by WantsLesPaul
You are a sick man, Riley.
Rather than number, I'd focus on finding people that are to a similar level of fitness as yourself. It would make it more enjoyable for you, you could keep the intensity and it could provide a bit of competition, which is always healthy during exercise.
0 is the optimal number, of course.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Aralingh
You sure yours wasn't just screwed? Well, I noticed that it's cheap, but I can't afford to spend much, my old bike works good, but it's like 8 years old, so I can't go really fast on it and I can't do crazy shit without breaking it.

I got through two of them bikes in 2 weeks, they were crap. Dunlop gears are so cheap it's unreal. You get what you pay for it seems with that bike.
Quote by SG_dave
I got through two of them bikes in 2 weeks, they were crap. Dunlop gears are so cheap it's unreal. You get what you pay for it seems with that bike.

So there are no good relatively cheap bikes?
Quote by Aralingh
So there are no good relatively cheap bikes?

Well it depends what you'll be using the bike for.

A lot of off road biking and you'll be wanting a full suspension bike that's very well built so a minimum of around £300 depending on sales.

If you'll be on roads most of the time you can get away with just front suspension which you can get for around £250 without sacrificing quality.

Anything cheaper than that and it seems they're made out of the odd bits left over.
Make sure you get Shimano gears, anything else just don't do the job. Also take time to get the right size frame, nothing worse than biking on too small or big a bike and doing your back in.
Quote by SG_dave
Well it depends what you'll be using the bike for.

A lot of off road biking and you'll be wanting a full suspension bike that's very well built so a minimum of around £300 depending on sales.

If you'll be on roads most of the time you can get away with just front suspension which you can get for around £250 without sacrificing quality.

Anything cheaper than that and it seems they're made out of the odd bits left over.
Make sure you get Shimano gears, anything else just don't do the job. Also take time to get the right size frame, nothing worse than biking on too small or big a bike and doing your back in.

My budget is 120 euro, hah.
Quote by Aralingh
My budget is 120 euro, hah.

Bikes are expensive

You probably need to pay like 600+ if you want a mountainbike that won't break after a week.
If you're gonna use it for off-road that is. And if you're not, why not get a normal bike?
Quote by flxjhnlrssn
Bikes are expensive

You probably need to pay like 600+ if you want a mountainbike that won't break after a week.
If you're gonna use it for off-road that is. And if you're not, why not get a normal bike?

I need any bike that will last and can handle my style, although, for my budget, no idea