Page 1 of 2
Hi, OK im trying to cover the Wretched by Attack Attack! and i talked to the guitarist and he said to use .13 - .62 Guage strings cause it's in like F tuning, so I have a squier bullet hh 6 string guitar, with 2 humbuckers and i installed a seymour duncan invader in the bridge, currently im using ernie ball .10's, so if i put these heavy ass guage strings on will they break my neck? Even when i tune up to E (standard)?

If i could get some insight on this that'd be great, don't want to break my guitar. Thanks, Also these were the strings i was looking at.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/D-Addario-EXL158-Light-Baritone-Electric-Guitar-Strings-102817699-i1123099.gc?esid=EXL+158#purchasing-new

Thanks all

Heres a link to the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiOepsyiVR8&ob=av2e
Quote by conor-figgy
Why do you want to tune up to E standard with 13 gauge strings?

cause i play everything lol, i don't just stay in one tuning, lately it's been F (trying), B, and Standard.
Sounds like what you really need is a 7 string guitar.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Jesus, F tuning. That's lower than 8 string standard
Anyway, you'll probably need thicker than .62 for that. I have a .74 on my 8th string and it's only just tense enough to go to E/F without being too floppy, and I doubt your 6's scale length is this long either.
However, I don't know if putting strings that thick on your guitar will damage it. Maybe if you can afford it, a 7 or 8 string could be an investment for you if you want to play in those sort of tunings.
Quote by Natefurman7
cause i play everything lol, i don't just stay in one tuning, lately it's been F (trying), B, and Standard.

Right well wear goggles when you try to tune up to E standard with .13 gauge strings I know you want to play it but could you possibly just leave this song be?
Don't try tuning up to E standard with that thick of strings on haha... You need to invest in another guitar.
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
There is no set of strings that will provide equal tension/playability in both E standard and F standard, if you want either tuning for some time then look into having another guitar set up for that particular tuning.
SRV played 13's at Eb. I doubt an extra half step will "wreck" guitars that are properly set up....
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
I think the real question is, why are wanting to play Attack Attack!
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Reincaster
SRV played 13's at Eb. I doubt an extra half step will "wreck" guitars that are properly set up....

Apparently the half step makes it feel like playing a gauge lighter. He did wreck his nails doing so though.
Tuning it from f to standard regularly will **** up all the intonation and it'll start warping your guitar's neck.
Get a different guitar for different tunings,but if you like that type of music, a 7 string would definitely help.
But true, SRV did use heavy a heavy ass string gauge at Eb.
So i doubt stringing .13's on it will mess it up.
Quote by Eppicurt

They went djent on their new album
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
They went djent on their new album

Who didn't....
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
Quote by Eppicurt

Quote by Natefurman7
Hey attack attack!'s Awesome! wth is Djent?

djent is a lame genre of metal with terrible guitar tone and guitars tuned so low it sounds like mids are at 10 and everything else is 0. the sad truth
Quote by Reincaster

It'll wreck a Squier Bullet.

I don't think you'll make it to drop F with that guitar, you would need a baritone guitar just to have enough tension even with heavy gauge strings, or you will have to pick like a fairy twinkle fingers.

You'll need to cut the nut, and most likely get larger tuners to fit the low E string. It's not really worth it, look for a transposed version that's in drop B or C or something.
yea, and screw that attack attack's awesome, whoever has something bad to say about them, I want u to make me a guitar cover of one of their songs and then i'll believe you.
btw i filed a claim on my guitar and im getting 100 bucks back, so i can spend 150 on a new guitar, can someone recommend one for 150 under with good pickups? EMG's would be kewl or blackouts, currently i have 1 seymour duncan invader in the bridge of my bullet.
Quote by Natefurman7
btw i filed a claim on my guitar and im getting 100 bucks back, so i can spend 150 on a new guitar, can someone recommend one for 150 under with good pickups? EMG's would be kewl or blackouts, currently i have 1 seymour duncan invader in the bridge of my bullet.

No.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Tuning to E standard with 13's obviously can be done. Its the constant tuning up and tuning down thats the problem. Really bad for the neck.
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
Quote by Natefurman7
yea, and screw that attack attack's awesome, whoever has something bad to say about them, I want u to make me a guitar cover of one of their songs and then i'll believe you.

lol
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
Quote by Natefurman7

I wouldn't subject my guitar to play that shit in the first place.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Natefurman7

ok
Ill write a tab for one of their songs right now while you wait

000 00000 00 0000 00 0000 000 0000
Dude, that's too hard. Can you break it down for me?
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
I had my LTD EC-1000 set up with .10-.60s and the tech told me not to put the thing in standard. He made me so nervous I swapped out to skinny top heavy bottoms. I can see the logic; you can try it but it may **** with your guitar. I know getting a new guitar is not always a viable option, but you could try either a seven string, or a baritone guitar (which are affordable).
Do the Wretched on guitar that shit's tough, people think it's easy until their presented to do it themselves. =)
Quote by Natefurman7
Do the Wretched on guitar that shit's tough, people think it's easy until their presented to do it themselves. =)

You serious?
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Page 1 of 2