Hi Guys,

I'm looking for something to do basic demo'ing just recording multiple guitar and bass parts. Seems like it would be easier to go digital rather that mics and 4 tracks.

My search has put me onto a line 6 pod studio, will this let me record, edit and overdub as I need? Will I need any add ons/ other programs? is there any products I'm overlooking?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
POD Studio will do just fine. You can plug your guitar/bass straight into it and use an amp sim to get your tones.

You'll likely need a DAW (recording program), since the one the POD Studios come with are super basic and don't allow you to do much. I'd suggest downloading Reaper - Its evaluation period lasts as long as you want it to (even though it says 30 days, it will continue to keep working after that), and should you decide to buy it, it's only $60.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well, there a lot of digital amp modellers out there but there is a wide range of prices.

What is your budget ?
budget is as little as possible at this stage, just using it for song writing as I have found myself doing it alone for the meantime. If I got a separate recording program would it work directly with the sims from the pod then?

Its only requirement is that I can get a fair few amp/ effects sims fr guitar and bass and be able to record/ overdub on my HP Notebook. Thats really about it. The pod retails at about £70-£80 here so would spend around that amount on anything that is recomeneded as being the best answer to what I need. Thanks so far guys
Yes, the POD Studio will work with every major DAW I know of, as will POD Farm.

The standard version of POD Farm is pretty crappy though IMO. You'd be better off hitting up "The NEW List Of Amp Simulators, Cab Sims and Impulse Responses" thread at the top of the forum and downloading a bunch of the free sims and cab impulses. You'll get much better results that way.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
My main motivation with the pod is after reading about the poor refults of recording direct from an amp it wll provide the interface to record easier/ better and its the cheapest around. So I could buy the pod purely as the interface (instead of a di r something) anduse any sim/ recording program I want?
You don't need a DI, a DI would do you absolutely no good unless you have an interface. I dunno where people keep hearing this, we've had like 5 people say that in the past 2 days

Yes, the POD Studio works perfectly fine for what you want.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
thanks loads for your help. With regards to the DI issue, I read that you would need one or similar to act as a cab emulator when recording direct from amp (which will improve sound quality) and there would be no need for this if using a pod as it will be the middle between the guitar and the computer. Blame either my interpretation of other posts or just bad information.

but anyway, the above makes sense, so will probs go with the pod and test out various programs for recording or sims once i find my way around.
A DI has nothing to do with cab emulation. A DI puts the resistance and level of the input at the correct rating for going to an interface or mixing board.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ok, sorry. I don't know (because I've never needed to) much beyond guitar/ pedal/ amp. Thanks everyone for your help anyway.
Any opinion on these cheap eBay USB recording things you an get. Would getting those as an interface and using downloaded software work the same?
Quote by teamcooper
Any opinion on these cheap eBay USB recording things you an get. Would getting those as an interface and using downloaded software work the same?

Work the same - yes
Produce the same results - absolutely not

It's like saying, yeah I could buy a midrange Fender I like, sounds good, and plays nicely, but I'm just going to buy a Squier Bullet cause it'll do the job.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Twistedrock
Work the same - yes
Produce the same results - absolutely not

It's like saying, yeah I could buy a midrange Fender I like, sounds good, and plays nicely, but I'm just going to buy a Squier Bullet cause it'll do the job.

Well, that makes that perfectly understandable in my book. Intersting topic guys, I am new and this is exactly the information I was hoping to learn. I was nearly sold on the idea of Audacity with a Guitar Rig Session set up but I think it is a little more involved than that.
Quote by malachi_s
Well, that makes that perfectly understandable in my book. Intersting topic guys, I am new and this is exactly the information I was hoping to learn. I was nearly sold on the idea of Audacity with a Guitar Rig Session set up but I think it is a little more involved than that.

Glad to help, dude. If you want a DAW to use, look at Reaper, it's got an unlimited trial period, and a license is only $60 should you want to purchase one.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Thanks Twisted, I looked into Reaper and it looks exactly what I am looking for. I appreciate you pointing me in that direction. As for the interface, if you don't mind offering a little more wisdom, I have looked at Native Instruments Guitar Rig Session 4, very inexpensive but I was told that the Line 6 POD Studio GX, UX1 or UX2, I believe it comes with an add-on Farm, is also a good interface and very affordable. Would you or anyone else offer any pearls on these products. Possibly something entirely different out there I haven't heard of, I may have mentioned this is all very new to me so please overlook any repeated question and posts, I did use the search function but to be quite honest, it isn't as helpful as I would have imagined. Thanks in advance. Mali
Last edited by malachi_s at Mar 20, 2012,