I have a Mesa Boogie Roadster, so my retube bills are like $250. How much does tube life affect tone? Sometimes on certain channels my volume will cut out, which is power tube failure. But it will come back and be okay for a while. How often should I replace preamp, power amp, and rectifier tubes?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
generally the rule of thumb is whenever you feel your tone just completely getting the life sucked out of it. but if you take care of the amp, use the standby switch, don't leave it on, etc. you can get at least over a year, close to a year and a half, depends on how much you use it and how hard you push it. i switch out the tubes of my twin reverb every 18 to 24 months, i don't know if that's too long or too short but when it comes time to you'll just...know
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
I have the stock rectifier tubes, and preamp tubes in it, which are about 6-8 years old, and some ruby power tubes I bought 4 years ago. Should I just retube the whole thing?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

well if they are still going strong and if the retube is kinda steep, (i honestly don't know how bad it is to retube mesas, i believe it's bad though) then you can leave them on, but you will definitely notice the difference when you switch them out. if you have an idea of what kinda tubes you need/want to get then start saving. higher end tubes "last longer", you can believe it if you want but it comes down to how you treat your amp, for what it's worth i use/love/always recommend JJs cause they are a good price and get so much head room.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

Does JJ make preamp tubes?

yeah they do. you'll have to see if anyone else weighs in here because I don't know a whole lot about tubes for mesa's you probably need some 6l6s and el84s, among others, but i'm not a huge tube expert i just know enough to put in my own amp and i stick with JJs
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

You keep spares. When you think something sounds a bit off you try your spares and listen to the difference. It's that simple.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If your in the USA www.eurotubes.com has full retube kits for specific amps.

EDIT they are $138 for a complete retube kit with JJ 12ax7 pre, JJ rectifier and JJ 6l6 power tubes.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 18, 2012,
I would vote get a nice NOS rectifier tube first...

Current production Power tubes second...

And preamp tubes last. They very well may still be fine for another 10 years.