Page 1 of 2
My mom's trying to quit, but it ain't easy. Patches don't help, gum doesn't help.

Anyone tried hypnotherapy?
Takes will power.

My dad did before I was born. He said he still really wants to smoke every time someone around him has a pipe or cigar.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I'm almost there, although I was never a MASSIVE smoker. Haven't bought a pack in a month now though so I'm chuffed. I have a couple a week when I get given by other people and that's it

I just stopped buying them. It was easy for me 'cause I live in the country and I rarely go to shops
Yep, I used to smoke. I was never a huge smoker, but I got up to around 5 or 6 cigarettes a day and more on weekends.

I just went cold turkey, and after the first week or so it's pretty easy. The biggest obstacle I think for a lot of people is breaking the routine of having a smoke before/after x event or what have you.

It's helped loads of people I know.

You actually have the smoke/steam stuff come out your mouth as well .. people were smoking them while at work and shit, apparently they're good.
Blue Jays, Seahawks, Raptors, Habs, Peterborough United FC, Gold Coast Suns.
Last edited by Blimpy19 at Mar 18, 2012,
No, can't see why I would want to. After my ten second cost-benefit analysis, it seems that continuing to smoke is in my best interest.
My mom tried everything, patches, gum, hypnotherapy, straight willpower, and finally managed to quit about a month ago by using that stuff that blocks the nicotine receptors. She took that for a couple months and she would still take a puff or 2 maybe once every 2-3 days right up until she had heart surgery (for mostly unrelated reasons to her smoking) and hasn't taken the medicine or smoked since.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by Blimpy19

It's helped loads of people I know.

You actually have the smoke/steam stuff come out your mouth as well .. people were smoking them while at work and shit, apparently they're good.

eww coffee flavor..
no but I've heard good things about these too.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
You are a sick man, Riley.
Quote by doomded
My mom tried everything, patches, gum, hypnotherapy, straight willpower, and finally managed to quit about a month ago by using that stuff that blocks the nicotine receptors. She took that for a couple months and she would still take a puff or 2 maybe once every 2-3 days right up until she had heart surgery (for mostly unrelated reasons to her smoking) and hasn't taken the medicine or smoked since.

Nicotine Receptor Blockers? What is that? Pills?

Quote by neidnarb11890
Why would you wanna quit? It's so cool.

Cuz she's going through chemo, and after she's done she wants to stop it.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Mar 18, 2012,
Yeah, I smoked for about 6 years and quit...14 months ago or so. Just went cold turkey after finishing college and therefore not having to go to shops every day or money to burn.
Wasn't overly difficult though I have no idea why.
Pot, I'm not counting, but I have absolutely no desires at all to smoke tobacco again. Just the smell makes me feel nauseous these days.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Nicotine Receptor Blockers? What is that? Pills?

Yeah. I think its called chantix or something like that.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by doomded
Yeah. I think its called chantix or something like that.

Cheers, just looking it up on google. Doesn't seem to be without side-effects. Aw poop.
My mom did it without patches or anything. Does your mom want to be my mom's bitch?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
My mom did it without patches or anything. Does your mom want to be my mom's bitch?

I quit without even starting to smoke. Your mums can both be my bitches.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Cuz she's going through chemo, and after she's done she wants to stop it.

Oh.
I did hypnotherapy, it's crap. Tried a lot of things. It really comes down to JUST DON'T PUT ONE UP TO YOUR MOUTH. Its amazing how easy it is when you break it down like that. Just don't put one in your mouth. Your brain will actually fight with you like your schizo but its that simple.

Or-

I haven't smoked in a year and a half using the lozenges. Start out with 4mg then reduce to 2mg and toward the end, break them into quarters. Eventually start just putting mints in your mouth.

The lozenges are stronger than smokes. Worked for me.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

i smoked about a pack a day for four years. i tried gum and lozenges. didn't work.

what did work? i just stopped smoking. i just garnered some intestinal fortitude and quit cold turkey. it's a good exercise of strengthening one's will power. you'll come out a much better person, not just health-wise, but mentally.

edit: i do smoke occasionally. i smoked a about a month ago and i smoked last night. that's about it though. again, it's just willpower. you can smoke one without becoming re-addicted. but i'd recommend going at LEAST six months completely cigarette free before doing that. probably a year. and if cold turkey's especially difficult for you, then don't ever smoke again under any circumstance. again, it comes down to willpower.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Mar 18, 2012,
My dad started smoking when he was around 15, and he quit when I was born, 18 years ago, on pure will power. I guess for him, the idea of wanting to live longer to see me grow up and stuff, as well as to raise me in a positive environment was good enough for him. But not everyone can do that; I personally have never smoked so I don't know how hard it is to quit.

My advice would be to get everyone who knows your mom involved. Always try to have someone close to her so that if she ever feels the urge to smoke, they can try to talk her out of it, or if anything, make it harder for her to smoke again. That worked for my dad, and is the advice my dad gives to people.
Quote by doomded

Champix, I think. They're pretty bad, I took some for a little while but I found I was smoking more, plus they made me agitated as all hell. Some of my friends got pretty paranoid on them too.

I gave up for about 4-6 months. Just went cold turkey and stacked on about 10kgs.
There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't get the urge to light up.
I was able to quit three months ago, though I had only been smoking for a little under 2 years. It took me the better portion of 4 months to quit. The final thing that helped me quit is that my house got robbed and along with a couple grand worth of my possessions I lost my last pack of cigarettes . I felt like that was a sign that I should quit.
.....Doesn't have a signature.

Quote by RU Experienced?
Yep, I used to smoke. I was never a huge smoker, but I got up to around 5 or 6 cigarettes a day and more on weekends.

I just went cold turkey, and after the first week or so it's pretty easy. The biggest obstacle I think for a lot of people is breaking the routine of having a smoke before/after x event or what have you.

This. But whenever I craved a smoke I just lit up a j which helped me quite a bit.
I've quit smoking like 5 times, it's easy.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
I don't know anyone who has using patches and gum. They just quit, cold turkey. It's about willpower and really, really not wanting to smoke anymore.

Some people are affected less by nicotine addiction than others I might add. Myself I used to smoke pipe every day last spring and summer, but during the winter it got too cold to stand outside for 30+ minutes trying to finish a pipe, so I just quit for the winter. Taking it up next week when it's going to be warmer.

Oh and I read the thread title as "Anyone quit killing successfully?". Just saying.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
I don't know anyone who has using patches and gum. They just quit, cold turkey. It's about willpower and really, really not wanting to smoke anymore.

I quit cold turkey several times, and actually, you feel like your wasted for like three days. With the right mind set, like enjoying the feeling of quitting, or simply really wanting to do it, it is easily done. Three times for a year.

This last time, tried the lozenges. Year and a half.

After reading the thread about your mom you just posted, seems like her health is the best reason of them all. If that doesn't do it, jeez man. It might not be the right time, gotta consider what the withrawal will do to her.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Didn't have one all week but had some yesterday, though I was drinking so I allowed it.
Anyone can quit cold turkey when it comes to smoking, but it's not easy. The idea is to just stop thinking of yourself as a 'smoker', that's the toughest part.

I wouldn't know.
Quote by MakinLattes
My grandma used e-cigs things to help her quit. Now she chases one with a Camel.

A guy had an e-cig blow up in his face not too long ago.

I don't trust those things.
My brother tried Chantix but couldn't really stick with it and it didn't work.

The only time I've seen people quit is cold turkey. My friend lives with me (really long story), and his mom quit smoking immediately after nearly 40 years of it when he had to come stay with me.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
I smoke a bummed cig maybe every other month, but I have not bought a pack in over two years.

I smoked daily for a few years when I was young but for most of that period it was 1-2 cigs a day and the peak was at half a pack. I didn't have trouble quitting but I am usually smoking weed, I am definitely more fixated with smoking than the nicotine buzz.
yup. I got into weightlifting and was willing to sacrifice smoking for my lungs to be more capable.

I had one cigarette about a month back after a stressful night of work, but thats about it.
I have a little trick. It's called "stop buying cigarettes". Worked for me.
PM me for newts
I admire my dad. He smoked for like 10 Years and then decided to quit cold turkey for health reasons. He's been smoke free for 5 years. Takes skill to do that.
Cold turkey or bust.

Also, she should do her best to remove herself from situations where she'll be exposed to cigarettes, be it in person, in a movie, or even just reading about smoking.

The habit is way harder to break than the physical addiction.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Page 1 of 2