Hi. New poster and big thrash metal fan here. I've been playing for about 9 months now and am thinking about upgrading the pickups in my Ibanez DTX 120. I'm going for a very heavy Slayer like sound. My friends have recommended me EMGs, right now I'm looking at the 81/85 combo pack and the James Hetfield/ KK signature packs. What would you guys recommend? Are the ones I'm looking at nice or would you recommend something else? If you're wondering about the rest of my gear I'm running a Vox VT40+ and a boss ST-2. I plan on upgrading to a peavey 6505 sometime in the future.

Also, what exactly will I have to do once I buy the pack? I noticed all of the ones I listed come with potentiometers and switches and other fun stuff. I know a lot about electronics (Electrical Engineering major) but don't know jack about the ins and outs of guitar electronics. Will guitar center be able to just install this stuff for me when I buy? Or is it simple enough to do yourself?
I would wait until you get your 6505 first.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
really dont think itd be worth it? Ive seen good pickups go a long way with a solid state peavey vypyr (something decently crappier)
Quote by Mr E Meat
really dont think itd be worth it? Ive seen good pickups go a long way with a solid state peavey vypyr (something decently crappier)

Not nearly as long as a way than if you actually bought a good amp.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.