Hey guys.

I tried to hook my guitar up to play this morning, and I can't get the cable to actually hook into the guitar. The input jack kind of moves around inside my guitar, and just gets pushed back if I try to hook a cable up to it.

I'm not sure what is wrong or how to fix it, so any help would be appreciated
The little nut that holds it in place came off, actually happens a lot if you're paying attention. search floor or just a new one.
Whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's worth checking the inside of the jack cover as well, unscrew it and see if there's a nut on the inside you can tighten. It'll never be as secure as having one inside and outside, but it'll do the job as a temporary fix.

remove the jack and hold it on the inside and on the outside while you tighten the nut,
or you'll rip off the wires.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
remove the jack and hold it on the inside and on the outside while you tighten the nut, or you'll rip off the wires.

If you do that every time the nut gets loose, then you'll strip the screw holes holding the jack plate (or control plate, or pick guard). The tool I mentioned keeps you from ripping off the wires, or stripping the screw holes. Plus it's a lot faster.

It's one of the more affordable tools out there like this, but there are several others available too. Yeah, it's plastic, but unless you're overtorquing the nut, it will last.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 18, 2012,
Quote by jetwash69
If you do that every time the nut gets loose, then you'll strip the screw holes holding the jack plate (or control plate, or pick guard). The tool I mentioned keeps you from ripping off the wires, or stripping the screw holes. Plus it's a lot faster.

It's one of the more affordable tools out there like this, but there are several others available too. Yeah, it's plastic, but unless you're overtorquing the nut, it will last.

if you use the correct screwdriver on those screws (they wont strip) and add a locking washer under the nut, (or nail varnish on the threads) it wont come loose anymore.

i have a good jack tightening tool to do the job without removing the jack plate because i work on acoustics.

but he doesnt need one for an electric.

plus it's important he look under the jack because the wire connections are probably already weak.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
if you use the correct screwdriver on those screws (they wont strip) and add a locking washer under the nut, (or nail varnish on the threads) it wont come loose anymore.

i have a good jack tightening tool to do the job without removing the jack plate because i work on acoustics.

but he doesnt need one for an electric.

plus it's important he look under the jack because the wire connections are probably already weak.

OK, good idea to remove the jack plate once to make sure the wires aren't all twisted.

As for the stripping, I wasn't talking about stripping the screw heads. It is more common for careless techs to marr the screwheads than to strip them (at least on the small trim screws). But it is common to find heads stripped in the neck plates and for the trem claw screws.

By stripping, I meant stripping the threads in the wood. Some guitars like Squier Affinities can't even let the screws out once without the wood thread getting stuck in the screw threads. Sure, you can repair it with wood plugs, or wood glue/sawdust, etc., but why mess it up in the first place? And it's not just the cheap alder in Squiers that strip easily. The tread came out with the screw in the strap button screws in my poplar Mustang, also. And I've seen it on a smaller scale with a mahogany Ibanez, too.

The jack tightning tool is pretty cheap compared to the damage you can do a fleet of guitars over the years by removing the jack plate every time.
i see what youre saying but a locking washer or thread lock will stop the problem after the first look .

i guess, whenever working on a guitar, common sense is the best tool here.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Put a tiny drop of blue LOCTITE on the inside of the nut.Holds it but its easy to get off.I use it all the time.Supposed to be a lock washer on em but they don't work or ain't there.panhead201
Quote by jj1565
i see what youre saying but a locking washer or thread lock will stop the problem after the first look .

i guess, whenever working on a guitar, common sense is the best tool here.

Why would you suggest a tool few have and no one can purchase?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Why would you suggest a tool few have and no one can purchase?

i had to read that twice
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Any 7/16 wrench or adjustable wrech or good pair of pliers will work.It's not brain surgery.If you are worried about scratching it,just put black tape on the pliers.panhead201
Quote by panhead201
Any 7/16 wrench or adjustable wrech or good pair of pliers will work.It's not brain surgery.If you are worried about scratching it,just put black tape on the pliers.panhead201

That's what they'd do at most Guitar Centers
Quote by panhead201

yeah but if he doesnt also hold the inside of the jack, he JUST ripped off the wires.

i thought we just talked about this. its not brain surgery.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

What are you thinking? take the plate off.Thered four little phillips screws. you're not gonna do it every week.
[59 Goldtop,lefty
[72 ES-355-TDSV
[68 Black LP Custom,lefty
[68 Goldtop,lefty
[06 Schecter C-! Classic,,lefty
[28 National resonator
[Mesa triple rec Marshall "A"cab
["B"cab,4-12 Mesa,s
[Mesa Nomad 45,4-10,s,combo
[ 64 Gibson-ES-330-TDC
Last edited by panhead201 at Apr 1, 2012,
Quote by jj1565
i had to read that twice

no kidding,I guess if they wanted to whack off,you'd have to draw a diagram and tell them not to forget to take their pants off.panhead
[59 Goldtop,lefty
[72 ES-355-TDSV
[68 Black LP Custom,lefty
[68 Goldtop,lefty
[06 Schecter C-! Classic,,lefty
[28 National resonator
[Mesa triple rec Marshall "A"cab
["B"cab,4-12 Mesa,s
[Mesa Nomad 45,4-10,s,combo
[ 64 Gibson-ES-330-TDC