I found a good deal on a second speaker for my 2x12 cab. I am currently using a single 8ohm 50 w Cannabis Rex and am thinking of adding a 150 watt Texas Heat.

I know this will drop my impedance to 4 ohm which my head will accommodate. But what should i expect from two speakers with such a significance in wattage?

Thoughts?
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
The wattage isnt the big issue, it is the db's that each speaker produces.

You can also wire the 2 8ohm speakers to be 16ohms instead of 4 which would alow you to hook another cab up if you ever need to.

Your cab will be a 100 watt cab because 50+150= 100 in watts. you would double the lowest speakers wattage notadd 50 to 150 and get 200 (just incase you were unaware of this)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
...Your cab will be a 100 watt cab because 50+150= 100 in watts. you would double the lowest speakers wattage notadd 50 to 150 and get 200 (just incase you were unaware of this)

What?

Doesn't the head wattage refer to the maximum peak watts the head can output? Yeah, the ohms will affect that.

And doesn't the speaker wattage mean how many watts the speaker is rated to handle without blowing?

So the wattage will be variable depending on ohms, but I wouldn't think the wattage rating of the speakers would have any effect on the output of the head...

Or are you saying not to exceed 100 watts from your head when playing through this speaker combination?
Quote by jetwash69

Or are you saying not to exceed 100 watts from your head when playing through this speaker combination?

Yeah that is what I ment
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^^ no, that's not how it works (with valve amps, anyway) EDIT: dangit, ninja'd

Quote by Robbgnarly
The wattage isnt the big issue, it is the db's that each speaker produces.

You can also wire the 2 8ohm speakers to be 16ohms instead of 4 which would alow you to hook another cab up if you ever need to.

Your cab will be a 100 watt cab because 50+150= 100 in watts. you would double the lowest speakers wattage notadd 50 to 150 and get 200 (just incase you were unaware of this)

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The cannabis rex is 101 db and the texas heat is 99db
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST
The cannabis rex is 101 db and the texas heat is 99db

You sould be fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah i haven't tried the CR, but i know eminence told me 2dB (i think it was 2dB) or less should be ok. sometimes speakers with even bigger discrepancies in the efficiency work find together, too (though I'd want to know from someone with first-hand experience that they do work and the louder speaker doesn't drown the other out!).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I take that back the 50 watt speaker (cannabis rex) is 102 DB and the higher wattage (texas heat) is 99 db. Thats 3db difference but its the lower wattage speaker with the higher wattage.

Does that makes a difference?
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
nah it's the dB, i think.

i'd email eminence to see what they say
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
why would you double the lowest wattage? if hes going to do it in parallel isnt it Zt = (Z1*Z2) / (Z1 + Z2) ?

which would give 37.5 watts....

in series if he got an 8 ohm texas heat, he would have a 16 ohm cab with 200 watts of headroom.

right?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
no i don't think so

actually i have no friggin' clue. I'll call in the cavalry

but the normal way cabs are wired (series?) splits the signal evenly from the amp to the speakers. so if you have a 100 watt amp 50 watts is going to each speaker. it's not so much the speaker wattage as the amp wattage.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 18, 2012,
3db is gonna make a noticeable difference.

it's not going to be super unbalanced but at low volumes you'll definitely notice that one side is louder then the other.

the speakers will be able to handle 100 watts or so in a 212.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
It's simple as far as watts goes. The power is split equally between the two speakers because they have the same impedance. So if half the power goes to each and the maximum one of them can take is 50W then the total amount of power you can feed the system is 100W before the 50W'er will blow.
Understand?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's simple as far as watts goes. The power is split equally between the two speakers because they have the same impedance. So if half the power goes to each and the maximum one of them can take is 50W then the total amount of power you can feed the system is 100W before the 50W'er will blow.
Understand?

of course it was so simple. the rating is not a constant but a limit.

while youre here, that formula in my first post, what is it for then? i found it regarding wattages even tho i typed it with Z i dont think it was supposed to mean impedance
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
No idea but it isn't relevant here. Maybe I'll remember where I've seen that equation later when I've woken up better but it describes nothing useful in this situation. It does look familiar but I can't put my finger on it atm.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Understand?

ah yeah that's it

thanks

i knew i was right, i just couldn't remember why
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
dB ratings aren't much either. The rating given is for some 1kHz sine wave at 1 meter or so. Since guitar speakers are not flat, they could be louder at other frequencies than other speakers, and quieter than others.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra