Hey all! Long time no see!
Okay lets get straight to the point. I wanted to trade my single rectifier (its a V2) so I posted an ad on the net. A guy answered me and wants to trade me his 1983 marshall JCM 800 2203. The thing is: ive been looking at some JCM 2000 and 900 for quite a while. I play mostly punk rock like Rise Against, Bad Religion, Strung Out, etc and they mostly all use some 900/2000 or other brands. Im afraid the 800 will not get me enough gain. Also, it only as one channel. Will I regret it?

I know its a good amp and it sounds pretty good but I wanted to know your thoughts on this before moving on.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
800s should have enough gain, the 2203 destroys every 900 and 2000 if you ask me. Dont worry about the 800s gain level unless you're playing modern metal

The guy above me; have you played an 800 ever? The 800 demolishes almost every other amp for 80s crunch minus the god tier amps (slo, boutique amps, fortin ect...)
Last edited by stykerwolf at Mar 18, 2012,
Quote by CageTheGates
dont do it... the JCM 2000 is more versatile than the jcm800, and costs less =)

JCM2000 doesn't sound anywhere near as good as JCM800.

I think you should go for the trade if you can sacrifice some clean, if you're like driving that amp for really nice sounds, it won't clean up unless you really roll off the volume of your guitar and so on, that's the downside to one channel amplifiers. However, he is going to give you some cash for your Mesa as well as the head in the trade?
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Mar 18, 2012,
Quote by stykerwolf
800s should have enough gain, the 2203 destroys every 900 and 2000 if you ask me. Dont worry about the 800s gain level unless you're playing modern metal

The guy above me; have you played an 800 ever? The 800 demolishes almost every other amp for 80s crunch minus the god tier amps (slo, boutique amps, fortin ect...)

I'd agree. Go for it!
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Sakke
JCM2000 doesn't sound anywhere near as good as JCM800.

I think you should go for the trade if you can sacrifice some clean, if you're like driving that amp for really nice sounds, it won't clean up unless you really roll off the volume of your guitar and so on, that's the downside to one channel amplifiers. However, he is going to give you some cash for your Mesa as well as the head in the trade?

Should he?
Also, what about the amp not having an effect loop? Im running a delay and a chorus in the loop and a TU-3 and phaser in front. Will i miss the feature of having an effect loop?
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Last edited by AmericanParadox at Mar 18, 2012,
The 2203 is very responsive to pick attack and the volume of your guitar, you can roll it back for a decently clean tone, as well as picking lighter. If it doesn't have enough gain, just run a boost out front.

Some of the best tones I've ever heard came out of an 800 (including high gain metal tones - boosted, of course).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you need a clean channel, definitely hold out for a DSL50/100. The low gain settings on a DSL get pretty close to an 800 sound, and you also have a nice clean channel.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
No dont do it if you want Strung Out tones. Jake has used Krank Rev, Mesa triple with 6550 power section, Randal RT100, and now the EVH 5150 III. Rob has used an old 5150 almost excusively untill a few yrs ago when he used a Randall RT100 and now uses a 5150 III.

You should have no problem getting Rise Against and Bad Religion out of a JCM 800, but don't expect a modern tone like Strung Out has.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'll go check it out. Bringing my head at his house and i'll jam a bit on the JCM 800. We'll see...
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
If it's a vertical input one jump on it like a cat on a mouse.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd say the 800 was the last decent Marshall head. Not a fan on the 900 and on. You can get the sound you're looking for with it, and if needed more gain give it a boost pedal. As someone noted, it responds great to pick attack.
doitdoitdoitdoit

you will not regret it. The 2203 is one of the best amps for punk (and everything else).
Quote by phoenix_crush
doitdoitdoitdoit

you will not regret it. The 2203 is one of the best amps for punk (and everything else).

This. Getting rid of your Mesa for the 2203 will be one life decision you won't regret.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Hi folks!
So yeah....brought my head over to the guy's house (or should I say mansion) and I tried out the Marshall. His house was a candy store for me. He had a stage in his basement and there was over 30 guitars hanging on the walls. Just in the marshall line, he had 5 different amps. Two jcm 800, a jcm 900, JVM and an old JMP. I tried the JVM and the 900 but I realized that none of them was close to the 800 in term of tone. I did like the old fender bassman I tried, though. The guy had over 12 amp heads all brands mixed. He didn't want to get rid of his jcm 800 even if he had two, but decided he should let it go to cure his GAS. He wanted a mesa pretty badly to fit his mesa cab( that guy had 6 marshall cabs and 2 mesas). Since I live in a pretty little town, its hard to get your hands on good gear so that's why he decided to trade it anyway.

Anyway, lets get back the 800. For a 1983 head, its rather hard to find even just a little scratch on the tolex. This thing is brand new! The moment I plugged in it was like a whole new world for me. I absolutely love how sensitive this amp is and how versatile it is despite having only one channel. Trading my mesa was the natural thing to do. I can't believe it took so long for me to realize how of a tone grail the JCM 800 is. Long story short, I traded my mesa in a heart beat and guy was pretty happy with it. He knew I was the lucky one in the trade but didn't care much since he was gasing on a mesa for a while and I was the only one having one to offer.

NOW! after trading my mesa, I called a local guy who was selling a couple of pedals. I ended up getting an awesome deal on two great pedals! Yep....a MXR carbon copy and a M-134 for $200. Both in prestine condition. Ive been playing with my new toys since yesterday night.

PICTURE TIME!!

Now I shall be eating ramens for the rest of the month. Amen!
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Last edited by AmericanParadox at Mar 19, 2012,
And it's a vertical! The last Marshall before the started cutting costs and going to PCB's. Well done, you have a true classic that should appreciate with time.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hate you.

Congrats.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Thanks guys!
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
go with the 800! especially b/c it's a 2203
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
And it's not just a 2203, it's a vertical 2203. One of the best amps they ever made. In many people's minds, the last true Marshall.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Holy ****! Cath is praising someone's purchase?

Congrats TS.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I calls them as I sees them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I feel like I wont be able to go to bed tonight. I will play this thing until I fall asleep in front of it!

I'll need a boost for it, though! Any suggestions? TS9, TS808, GT-OD?
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by phoenix_crush
Ocd!

+1 to the Fulltone OCD. Should be GREAT with that amp.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I can't try it out here. there's no Fulltone reseller, unfortunately.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Look up sound clips for now. Then judging by sound clips, make a blind buy (if you want) from musiciansfriend and then (ab)use their return return policy. The TS9, TS808 and GT-OD are all pretty much the same pedal anyway.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals

The Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive is supposedly a clone of the Timmy so you may want to consider that. Tubescreamers cut too much bass unless you mod them. For a 2203 I think I'd want something with a flatter response.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

The Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive is supposedly a clone of the Timmy so you may want to consider that. Tubescreamers cut too much bass unless you mod them. For a 2203 I think I'd want something with a flatter response.

Only the V1 was. The newer versions are no longer Timmy clones, and supposedly are not as good. I wouldn't know; I have a V1.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Only the V1 was. The newer versions are no longer Timmy clones, and supposedly are not as good. I wouldn't know; I have a V1.

Bummer. Well, they wouldn't be terribly difficult to build yourself anyway I guess if you're handy at such things. Not a lot to them.
Maybe Tim (Toyroom FX) could build one. Tim should make a Timmy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks guys! I'll definitely check those out !
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Haha, I'm kind of late, but many congrats on this.

How's the sound of Stereo Chorus?
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Cathbard
Bummer. Well, they wouldn't be terribly difficult to build yourself anyway I guess if you're handy at such things. Not a lot to them.
Maybe Tim (Toyroom FX) could build one. Tim should make a Timmy.

Pretty sure it's called a Tim G. Pauly.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
That amp is beautiful. Congrats.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!