Page 1 of 2
Sup Pit,

I'm off to see an orchestra tomorrow and it's my first time doing so. Are there any major etiquette rules I need to know which aren't just common sense.

I don't plan on shouting out, whistling or starting off any clapping so I think that should have me on the right track. But I'm wondering if there are any little rules that I don't know about.

Help me not make an ass of myself Pit.
Wear shorts and a hawaii shirt.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Don't clap in between movements. Any large orchestral work is going to have a number of different movements, and it's polite to wait until the entire piece is finished.

Also, basic stuff like making sure the cell phone is either silenced or off, no flash pictures (it can be very disorienting to anyone on stage). There really isn't a whole lot of etiquette, just don't act like you were raised in barn and everything should be cool.
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Don't fall asleep.

I was at a university orchestra concert and there was an epic giant pause in the song after a "fight" in the music. Some guy was snoring during the rests...

smh.
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by Kensai

Actually I went to an orchestra dressed pretty much like that (t'was summer), made the whole thing pretty fun.
Quote by Kensai

Actually regarding clothes.

I was planning on wearing smart trousers, shirt and plain tie. No blazer as I don't have any cool, slim casual ones.

Sound okay to you guys?
Everyone there is up for a crowd surf.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
wear a huge powdered wig so nobody behind you can see
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
I guess yelling out for Freebird would be bad
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Sounds about right. I'm not sure about over in UK, but it's miles ahead of what people wear to orchestra concerts over here; hawaiian shirts and shorts are seriously not uncommon. The least I would go on any day is jeans and t-shirt. I wouldn't go any MORE than business casual (shirt, tie, slacks) unless I was actually performing.
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
It's customary to wave a small handkerchief after particularly intense crescendo. I learned that when the last woman I went with gave me the most hateful look ever when I asked why she was doing it after the long note.

If it's a powerful moment, when it quiets, just wave a cloth for a few seconds in place of applause. It'll save your ass. Especially if you're going with someone you want to impress...

Or who knows about it
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by ArtyArnaud
Actually I went to an orchestra dressed pretty much like that (t'was summer), made the whole thing pretty fun.

Crazy french people, I thought you had class

Quote by willT08

I was planning on wearing smart trousers, shirt and plain tie. No blazer as I don't have any cool, slim casual ones.

Sound okay to you guys?

I really can't tell without seeing any pictures. Get a blazer anyways, you can get them pretty cheap at H&M, dressman or whatever.

Quote by strat0blaster
It's customary to wave a small handkerchief after particularly intense crescendo. I learned that when the last woman I went with gave me the most hateful look ever when I asked why she was doing it after the long note.

If it's a powerful moment, when it quiets, just wave a cloth for a few seconds in place of applause. It'll save your ass. Especially if you're going with someone you want to impress...

Or who knows about it

If I saw a guy waving a handkerchief at the orchestra during crescendos I'd assume he was gay and flirts at awkward times.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Remember to go to the toilets when you go for a crap.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
you have to yell out words of encouragement whenever the guy with the cymbals gets to play
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Banjocal
Remember to go to the toilets when you go for a crap.

This. It sounds weird but they make a really big deal out of it at orchestras.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Quote by Kensai

I really can't tell without seeing any pictures. Get a blazer anyways, you can get them pretty cheap at H&M, dressman or whatever.

Nah trust me I look fly. And yeah I do need a blazer but getting one for tomorrow is kind of awkward. Plus I'm trying to put together a summer wardrobe at the moment, a blazer not being a big part of that.
yell slayer a few times
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
make sure to flash your junk at the lead violinist
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Shut your mouth and be prepared to applaud them for 50 minutes when they are finished.
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
Quote by Kensai

If I saw a guy waving a handkerchief at the orchestra during crescendos I'd assume he was gay and flirts at awkward times.

This is you -

(-_-)

This is you ruining my fun -

(_|_)

Asshole.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Keep shouting "Play some Xenakis!" between pieces.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Freeeeeeeeeeeeeebiiiiirrrrrrrrrrdd

Quote by irongoat666
I guess yelling out for Freebird would be bad

Fuuuuuuck yooooooouuuuu

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Last edited by moscaespañol at Mar 18, 2012,
If you are the last one clapping at the end you get a prize.

It's customary for everyone to change seats during an intermission; closer to the stage if you are enjoying the show and farther if you're not. This is considered polite feedback.

Audience participation is crucial, pay attention when they go over the gang vocals part before the show because everyone is expected to yell.

Do your homework and don't bring anything into the performance hall that was invented after the time period the arrangement was written. This faux pas is equal to eating a hamburger or hot dog with silverware.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by willT08

Sound okay to you guys?

Lose the tie.

And greetings from Rickmansworth.
Quote by 100%guitarmad
Lose the tie.

And greetings from Rickmansworth.

Greetings, though I've never frequented your humble town. And I may, depends on what shirt I wear.
Wear something reasonable
Polo shirt at the minimum, preferably a real shirt
Just be polite and chill....
Don't be at all rowdy

And hit on girls there, they'll be in the mood for it....
Be all smooth and suave...like 'yeah I love me some Bach'
Quote by Highelf04

he's trying to pick up girls, not xiaoxi.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by Highelf04
Wear something reasonable
Polo shirt at the minimum, preferably a real shirt
Just be polite and chill....
Don't be at all rowdy

I'm going with my girlfriend, but I'll keep that in mind.
Page 1 of 2