Hey all. I'm encountering the phase everyone has in their life when they join a band: I've felt good about my mechanics, written some crap, and want to start something special.

I've been writing for about a year. I've held myself to the highest standard in songwriting I could, so they could be considered half-decent songs to somebody. I've written a handful of nearly completed originals, hundreds of stuff I've thrown out (My pile of "Does this fit?" I like to call it.) I have a mild diversity in songs and while I've never written one lyric to them because I can't sing, I want to find one or two people looking for the same.

Problem is, I've never had the money to upgrade past below-standard equipment. I have an Epiphone Wilshire RI thats been beaten up over a while, a smallish Vox Amp (makes surprisingly good tones), and some cheap low-end pedals (DS-1 and... GASP! A Behringer Chorus). I haven't recorded anything much more than scrap demos of very subpar quality (Used a Turtle beach Mic and Pinnacle Studio 12, have trouble with Audacity).

tl;dr

I'm having trouble finding out what I should do first. Find someone, record an instrumental to YouTube, write more, I don't know. I have 4-5 completed instrumentals I'm very happy with and 2-3 I'm completing as we speak. I've learned a diversity of covers ranging from Rush to Nirvana, Juliana Hatfield to Alice in Chains.

Thanks for the help.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
Start networking. Start going to shows and meeting other musicians and start talking and putting your name out there. Throw an add up on craigslist and post some in your local music stores. When someone gets a hold of you can sounds like there interested set up a time to jam and see if it works out.
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
Quote by ultimate-rocker
Start networking. Start going to shows and meeting other musicians and start talking and putting your name out there. Throw an add up on craigslist and post some in your local music stores. When someone gets a hold of you can sounds like there interested set up a time to jam and see if it works out.

Would it be good to show them something that had maybe a few demos up? Maybe like a youtube or even a facebook?
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
+1 on Networking and C-List... I've gotten in a couple of bands, gotten together a few jam sessions, and put together my current band... been together over a year now..

Quote by dkeenan
Would it be good to show them something that had maybe a few demos up? Maybe like a youtube or even a facebook?

I'm not sure that I'd worry so much about it at first... Just getting your name out there and that your interested will do a lot.. Of course if the perspective musicians ask, it might be good to have a few videos up on YouTube...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Mar 18, 2012,
Quote by dkeenan

Yes, so they know what they're signing up for.

As for the equipment, all it needs to be is "giggable", and the only thing I'd worry about your setup is whether the amp is loud enough to be heard over a drum set. Other than that, if you're intending to play instrumental rock, good luck, it's one of the hardest genres to sell to anyone, venue owners and audiences alike.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud