Been rehearsing a bunch of songs I've written both with my band and without, starting think it might be a good idea to play around some local pubs and stuff...

Any ideas for covers that might fit in well with a couple, Tom Waits/Black Keys-esque bluesy originals? I'm thinking Chuck Berry, but not sure yet... counting on something to get a crowd reaction.

Also, share your experiences and what not.
Last edited by Piñata at Mar 18, 2012,
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Did you play History or Master Exploder by Tenacious D?

No.
Quote by Piñata
Been rehearsing a bunch of songs I've written both with my band and without, starting think it might be a good idea to play around some local pubs and stuff...

Any ideas for covers that might fit in well with a couple, Tom Waits/Black Keys-esque bluesy originals? I'm thinking Chuck Berry, but not sure yet... counting on something to get a crowd reaction.

Also, share your experiences and what not.

Do you know a trumpet player?

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Peace frog would be a cool addition actually... nice time as well.

Quote by moscaespañol
Do you know a trumpet player?

I know a couple... why?
Ain't No Rest for the Wicked would be good if you do any slide. Wagon Wheel is always appropriate and is likely to get a drunk crowd going. Also Death Letter (or Death Letter Blues if you prefer) and St. James Infirmary Blues.
Metallica did a version of 'So What' back in Garage Inc.

I can't recall who did the original, but I'm it would go down well.
We've survived before, we'll do it agian. Play up Pompey.
Quote by Piñata

Maybe if I swallow a few razor blades before I go on... but yeah, as much as I love waits, I can't do him the justice he deserves unfortunately.

Shalalalalalalala

inhale some industrial hydrochloric acid beforehand, you'll be fine

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by Piñata

Maybe if I swallow a few razor blades before I go on... but yeah, as much as I love waits, I can't do him the justice he deserves unfortunately.

Do something featuring Mark Lanegan (a.k.a. Tom Waits lite) then.

dat In The Fade
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
But seriously, Chuck Berry is great for open jam sessions since so many players know the stuff, but it's a little overdone.

We get a good response with White Stripes covers; especially 7 Nation Army and Lafayette Blues--really need a whammy pedal for Lafayette. One nice this about Lafayette is since the lyrics are in "French" no one will know if you forget some of the words. Also, Jack never played it the same twice, so you have plenty of room to improvise.

As for "I'm so sad, so very very sad," we actually did that at an open jam last week. It went over well.
^ Thanks man, funnily enough I was considering Lafayette blues a while back...