Hi i've been trying this lick from far beyond the sun by yngwie malmsteen
eb]-13-14-13-10----------------------------------------------------------
bb]--------------------14-12-10--------------------------------------------
gb]----------------------------------13-11-10------------------------------
db]-----------------------------------------------12-11-9------------------
ab]-----------------------------------------------------------12-11-9-8--
eb]---------------------------------------------------------------------------
for months! I've been playing guitar for awhile and don't understand how i can't play it up to speed after all this time of practicing it. What can i be doing wrong and can you give me some pointers to play it up to speed. Thanks
Last edited by theguitar5555 at Mar 18, 2012,
I remember learning that lick awhile ago and I actually picked it up pretty fast. How do you play it? Like what fingers do you use for each fret and do you use hammer ons or pull offs for any of the notes? And also, are you economy picking?
Use all of your fingers (which I'm going to hope you are.) Practice getting the picking speed down without the right notes. Then try playing it with that speed, it'll be messy at first but that's okay. You'll realize you can do the speed, and you can do the pattern. You just have to put 2 and 2 together.

Good luck!
Haven't heard the song, but maybe try a hammer on for the three notes, and use your first finger for the D.
We've survived before, we'll do it agian. Play up Pompey.

the 13-14-13-10 part I hammer on with ring pinky ring then pulloff to index.
14-12-10 part i use pinky middle index
13-11-10 part (same fingers used)
12-11-9 i only use ring middle index
and 12-11-9-8 i use ring middle index index.

i tried alternate picking it for the longest time but had no hope, so now i'm trying to economy pick it.
You might want to watch videos of Malmsteen performing this piece and see exactly what he does in terms of picking (i can bet that it's lots of legato) - but usually the way he plays it is to facilitate playing at the speed he does for the types of licks he plays
Quote by Megadethfan245
Use all of your fingers (which I'm going to hope you are.) Practice getting the picking speed down without the right notes. Then try playing it with that speed, it'll be messy at first but that's okay. You'll realize you can do the speed, and you can do the pattern. You just have to put 2 and 2 together.

Good luck!

This x100...I agree with trying to play it to speed. Getting a tricky lick is half metronome practice and half pushing your boundaries sometimes. Occasionaly what I do is set the metronome even faster than the ablum speed just to really get your brain working fast, then set it back down to album speed and you will find that the notes suddenly become more clear. Relativity is a wonderful thing. Just make sure you are really being critical of your notes because you dont want to push it too fast too early and fall in the speed trap where you start to get used to playing sloppy.
Quote by Megadethfan245

Good luck!

No

That's completely ass-backwards, more to the point it won't work. Mistakes don't magically fall out in the wash through force of will.

TS, slow it down to the speed at which you can play it properly, accurately and cleanly, work on refining your motions and getting them more economical. Use a metronome to keep time, and when you're playing it consistently at that tempo you can bump it up by a couple of bpm and repeat the issue.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
But i feel like when i play to slow with a metronome it just sets me up with bad habit like putting to much emphasis on a note by hitting it hard and moving my wrist to much. Is it right to play super slow with a metronome at first and when do you know to put the speed higher. thanks
Quote by theguitar5555
But i feel like when i play to slow with a metronome it just sets me up with bad habit like putting to much emphasis on a note by hitting it hard and moving my wrist to much. Is it right to play super slow with a metronome at first and when do you know to put the speed higher. thanks

If you're moving too much or accenting a note in the wrong place then don't do that. If you can't stop then slow down.

It's absolutely right to play something you're trying to learn slowly to a metronome.

You know when to put the speed higher because you can do it without having to think and you get it right consistently. Really that's what a lot of people miss out: if you have to think about what you're doing any more than "this fast part now" then you're not ready to get faster, you can't play to speed and think about what you're doing in the lick.

Honestly, I'm not convinced that what's wrong here is how you're practicing or picking or anything, I think it's your expectations that are out of whack. Yes it takes a long time to be able to play up to the standard of Malmsteen. No, that part isn't fast compared to some people and it's not complex compared to some of his own playing but it's still harder and faster than 99% of people will ever play or even hear. Tone down your expectations, make sure you're playing it well and you'll get there when you get there, it doesn't matter how long it takes.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Mar 18, 2012,
Quote by theguitar5555
for months! I've been playing guitar for awhile and don't understand how i can't play it up to speed after all this time of practicing it. What can i be doing wrong and can you give me some pointers to play it up to speed. Thanks

Personally, I'd finger it like this
eb]-13-14-13-----------------------------------------------
bb]----------15-14-12--------------------------------------
gb]-------------------14-13-11\10--------------------------
db]-------------------------------12-11-9------------------
ab]----------------------------------------12-11-9-8-------
eb]--------------------------------------------------------

Definitely take it slowly and focus on precision and relaxation. Speed will come in time, especially when you focus on those two things. Be sure to practice to a metronome and make sure to stay in time and use even and fluent pick strokes. If you spazz out and try to go too fast too early without acquiring the necessary muscle memory, you'll sound sloppy and set yourself backwards.

Yngwie practised guitar intensely for years. That's the kind of timeframe you need to think in when you want to learn to play at those kinds of speeds.
Would you guys recommend practicing my alternate picking with this lick or practice my economy picking?
Is it possible to alternate pick that lick as fast as yngwie, cause i know he does economy?
Quote by MetalCommand
It's important to have very good alternate picking technique before you start with economy picking. So you're probably best off with alternate.

They're exactly the same except when you change strings. Neither one is prerequisite of the other.

Yngwie uses alternate picking for his fast scalar passages. I can play upwards of 180 bpm, which is right around where he likes to play, so I'd say yes, it's very possible to play that fast.
Quote by theguitar5555

I also struggled for months trying to learn this lick. When you have it down the rest of the song will unfold so just keep at it. Make sure you are doing it the same every time and spend some time doing i in super slow motion...this way you will train your body over time how little tension feels...something that you need to play Yngwie