I just pulled the trigger on a used but (supposedly) mint EBMM John Petrucci on fleabay. It’s a basic pearl red burst model with OHSC for a good price and seller says it’s original and perfect in every way. I didn’t think about it too hard or ask questions because just last week, I missed one I wanted by waiting a day. Also, I had a bloated PayPal account from selling some guitar gear and I don’t trust those scumbags with my money.

The JP receives a lot of praise here on UG from knowledgeable players but I’ve done some other reading and have some questions. It seems you can’t date MM guitars by the serial number unless you e-mail EBMM with the request. Is that true? Also, was there pickup upgrade (a big improvement that DiMarzio made) at some point? What year and how can you tell if got the good ones without having both to compare? I just want to know what to look for when it arrives in a couple of days.

Anything else I should know? Hope it’s a versatile guitar. I have other Music Man gear and have always been impressed. I think it will sound great and huge with my MM amp so we’ll see. I live in rural area and was never in the right place at the right time to play one in person. Thanks.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
One of the biggest strengths of the JP6 is its versatility, so yes. They get praise for good reason.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Yeah, honestly, JP's are the most versatile and highest quality "metal guitars" out there. They're at the point where the quality doesn't get higher, things just differ. My Carvin and JP are both at this level and the only other things I've played that were on this level were out of custom shops.
Quote by Mars Rover
Also, was there pickup upgrade (a big improvement that DiMarzio made) at some point? What year and how can you tell if got the good ones without having both to compare?

There was a pickup change, I don't think anyone would call it an upgrade, more a move sideways.

Originally JP had custom pickups in his guitars that you couldn't get elsewhere, then he changed to having a D-sonic in the bridge and now he uses his own signature pickups the crunchlab and liquidfire combo. You can tell if you have one of the really earlier ones because the bridge pickup doesn't have a bar style magnet in it, I don't know any way of telling between a D-sonic and a crunchlab though.

Honestly though, it doesn't matter which you get, the JP guitars are absolutely phenomenal no matter what.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
There was a pickup change, I don't think anyone would call it an upgrade, more a move sideways.

Originally JP had custom pickups in his guitars that you couldn't get elsewhere, then he changed to having a D-sonic in the bridge and now he uses his own signature pickups the crunchlab and liquidfire combo. You can tell if you have one of the really earlier ones because the bridge pickup doesn't have a bar style magnet in it, I don't know any way of telling between a D-sonic and a crunchlab though.

Honestly though, it doesn't matter which you get, the JP guitars are absolutely phenomenal no matter what.

OK Thanks. I read a review (Harmony Central I think) that advised that one of the older pup sets sounds muddy compared to latest. Not true I guess.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
Quote by Mars Rover
OK Thanks. I read a review (Harmony Central I think) that advised that one of the older pup sets sounds muddy compared to latest. Not true I guess.

Well it's possible but I've seen DT live several times, both before and after the pickup change, and he never had a problem with muddiness...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Mars Rover

They are awesome guitars. Just make sure you get a Fully Loaded one.

Already looking at replacing the one I just sold now.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Mar 19, 2012,
Quote by Tom 1.0

Definately not fully loaded. 2 knobs and a switch. No inlays-just round dots. Still, CG and MF sell these for $1,575. I paid $400 less than that, also with free shipping - so maybe I did OK.
you got it for $1100?

Thats cool.

They are all fantastic guitars and I am sure you will be very happy with it

Congrats.

I just sold mine, but if I get my wrist back up to how it used to be, I will be getting another next year, they are that good.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I knew it wouldn't last..Nice one Tom...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by Tom 1.0

Tom.

I am dissapoint.

Quote by Mars Rover

I can understand where they're coming from. The original bridge pickup was basically a Dimarzio Steves Special, which compared to the Crunch Lab and D-Sonic is quite scooped. That makes it seem a bit muddier, but its not really fair to compare it to the new pickups which are incredibly clear and have a very tight and defined midrange, so basically anything seems muddy compared to them.
What makes it versatile: Coil split, two insanely good sounding humbuckers (If it's the new one, then the bridge pickup should be bladed). Piezo, Stereo output and able to switch piezo with any pickup of choice.
I literally praise mine every day, it's just that awesome.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by omidmash
What makes it versatile: Coil split, two insanely good sounding humbuckers (If it's the new one, then the bridge pickup should be bladed). Piezo, Stereo output and able to switch piezo with any pickup of choice.
I literally praise mine every day, it's just that awesome.

Would you say it can do most styles of music well? I'm currently looking to sell a few guitars and replace them with a high quality versatile one.
Quote by neddomac
Would you say it can do most styles of music well? I'm currently looking to sell a few guitars and replace them with a high quality versatile one.

I play following genres: Thrash Metal, Groove Metal, Rock, Pink Floyd/Rush Style, Blues and a bit of Jazz. I use a lot of cleans, either riffing, or chords or even singing to it. The piezo makes the guitar give that acoustic feeling and sound (which is just insane). The guitar sounds beautiful on clean or distortion, scooped or made to make that Gilmour sound.
Artists I can copy the exact way would be: James Hetfield/Kirk Hammet, John Petrucci, Stevie Ray Vaughan, David Gilmour to some extent, Mike Morton and Al Di Meola. I even play some classic spanish pieces with the guitar with the combined pickup system. The use of two amplifiers can also make the guitar sound awesome, full, and let you even switch between clean and distortion with the pickup switch through the two amps, let you add some chorus through a twin reverb when you are playing on a JC120 or simply be a kill switch with the volume killed.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by omidmash
I play following genres: Thrash Metal, Groove Metal, Rock, Pink Floyd/Rush Style, Blues and a bit of Jazz. I use a lot of cleans, either riffing, or chords or even singing to it. The piezo makes the guitar give that acoustic feeling and sound (which is just insane). The guitar sounds beautiful on clean or distortion, scooped or made to make that Gilmour sound.
Artists I can copy the exact way would be: James Hetfield/Kirk Hammet, John Petrucci, Stevie Ray Vaughan, David Gilmour to some extent, Mike Morton and Al Di Meola. I even play some classic spanish pieces with the guitar with the combined pickup system. The use of two amplifiers can also make the guitar sound awesome, full, and let you even switch between clean and distortion with the pickup switch through the two amps, let you add some chorus through a twin reverb when you are playing on a JC120 or simply be a kill switch with the volume killed.

Thanks i'm really interested now
Quote by Tom 1.0

Loved that one you had. I had it in mind when I ordered my Carvin. White with chrome hardware. Simple, but sleek and classy looking. One day I'll find a lefty JP6 when I have the funds...
Quote by Levi79
Fully loaded really isn't necessary. Most people just fool with the Piezos and the inlays and matching headstock are just aesthetic. Congrats on your purchase though! We better see an NGD!

It will probably be a NGW because I'll live with for a week. According to UPS tracking, NGD should be today. Just shipped last evening but this was an "in state" guitar - another reason I picked it - less chance for the carrier to wreck it. Free shipping, insured - sweet.

Seller assured me again that this will be just like getting a brand new instrument, even the case is like new and will be boxed. From his minimal ad, I got the impression couldn't get good answers so I didn't ask questions. Turns out he has several EBMM guitars and this is the one he's turning loose.
Quote by littlephil
Tom.

I am dissapoint.

I can understand where they're coming from. The original bridge pickup was basically a Dimarzio Steves Special, which compared to the Crunch Lab and D-Sonic is quite scooped. That makes it seem a bit muddier, but its not really fair to compare it to the new pickups which are incredibly clear and have a very tight and defined midrange, so basically anything seems muddy compared to them.

You won't be when you see the replacement

I can also vouch for the Steve Special sounding great in a JP6 as that's what was in my old one.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Mar 20, 2012,
It arrived and as advertised, it’s like new. An old-new guitar. Doesn’t look like it was ever played. Not so much as a pick scratch. Still has the barcode sticker over “Music Man” on the neck plate. It came perfectly set up (to my taste) with new strings. Neck relief is right on. String spacing is perfect for me.

The neck and headstock wood finish doesn’t look as washed out as some pictures show –it’s a nice amber color in most spots. I like it. I’m sure you’ve seen a red burst before but I stuck in some pics anyway. It plays and sounds great but I have to play it more to really judge. I do have some more questions.

It came with a wiring diagram. The pots are not push-pull, the selector switch is a simple 3-way - and in the mid position, only provides one single coil from each pickup. It’s a nice hollow strat tone but does anyone think it might be worth doing a mod to tap all four coils (while keeping the original s/s setting available) or provide the other H/S combinations?

The pickups seem to be screwed down tight to the bottom of the route - so don’t screw around with p/u height adjustments? Or is there another adjustment that I’m missing?

The toggle selector switch seems to be right the hell in the way. Is it just me? Do people get used to this?

I found it bit annoying to tune up with the floating bridge. Made me appreciate the fine tuners on my Kahler. I think this trem is going get blocked and set up for dive only. I haven’t looked in the cavity yet. You think there’s enough spring adjustment? Order more springs from MM-or will any Strat springs do?
Thanks again
Attachments:
EBMM JP6-2.JPG
EBMM JP6-3.JPG
EBMM JP6-5.JPG
EBMM JP6-8.JPG
Last edited by Mars Rover at Mar 20, 2012,