I recently stopped playing with a band and sold my Bugera 6260 stack to a local band. They gave me a good price for it and the amp was taking up too much room and my tastes have changed anyways. I dont really want to be in a band for a while now but would like to still enjoy playing the guitar as a hobby and so a good bedroom amp will do great for me for now. I would like to focus more on my school and my other hobbies I also do.

My budget is about $500 but I can move up to about 600 or maybe a little bit more if It will truely be worth it.

I have checked my local craigslist and have found nothing. A bunch of Marshall MGs and similar crap and thats about it. I have moved to a place with no guitar center and just a few small shops so trying amps is hard to do unfortunatly. Buying used will be a difficult option.

I play a wide variety of styles ranging from blues to punk to metal, though im starting to play metal less and I am playing classic rock a lot more anymore. As long as the amp could at least get a passable metal tone I will be fine, but good cleans and a good midgain sound is a must. I really want versetility.

I have looked at buying a vypyr 60 again, I owned one before and was super impresed with it but I find the onboard effects to not be so good though the amp tones are great. I have also considered various Jet City products. I also wonder if getting a Fender and just using something like a few Wampler pedals for dirt would be a good idea. I dont mind getting a little loud, but my neighbors do get a little bit grumpy. At this point I wonder if a POD HD through a small amp wouldnt be the way to go.

Anyone have any suggestions or other ideas I havnt considered?
Jet City JCA20 or JCA22 would do.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Something smaller like the Marshall Class 5 or Blackstar HT-5 might suit you well. Can still use some pedals to boost for heavier music.
used fender deluxe reverb, it takes pedals like a boss
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Last edited by gerraguitar at Mar 18, 2012,
The jca22h suggestion is one i am highly considering. I playing the 20 and was impressed with it and the second channel and effects loop are worth the extra cost to me.

I have not played the class 5 but am worried i might have to crank it too much to get the sound i want. Some opnions on it are welcome. I have played tge ht-5 and found it sounded ok but i couldnt get any sounds i loved out of it.

I am also considering the egnater tweaker or maybe even the rebel. I played tge rebel 20and and thought it sounded good but didnt have as much punch as i wanted, but thays when i was all about the metal. I read the rebel 30and has more gain and although it is a little pricey i wouldnt mind paying the price if it does what i want. The tweaker is one i have not been able to try but am very curious about.
Quote by guitarpatrick66

I am also considering the egnater tweaker or maybe even the rebel. I played tge rebel 20and and thought it sounded good but didnt have as much punch as i wanted, but thays when i was all about the metal. I read the rebel 30and has more gain and although it is a little pricey i wouldnt mind paying the price if it does what i want. The tweaker is one i have not been able to try but am very curious about.

Well then. I had the very same dilemma as you a few months ago and considered similar amps. I ended up going with the Rebel 30.....I hated the tweakers (15 and 40). The cleans were lackluster compared to the other amps I was considering.

I haven't tried the 2 channel JC but I did consider it based on the single channel one. I quite liked that.
The rebel 30 does have more gain than the 20 and IMO the cleans and drive sounds are better on the 30. The watts knob is pretty useless unless the volume is at least 3/5 the way up and the tube mix isn't as drastic as expected (Egnater kindly includes a pamphlet in the case explaining the subtlety of these knobs) but the difference is noticeable.
Regardless, I chose the 30 over the others and if that wasn't an option, I'd go with the 20 or the Jet City over the Tweaker ANY DAY.

But, it's up to you. Go try them all and decide
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Well then. I had the very same dilemma as you a few months ago and considered similar amps. I ended up going with the Rebel 30.....I hated the tweakers (15 and 40). The cleans were lackluster compared to the other amps I was considering.

I haven't tried the 2 channel JC but I did consider it based on the single channel one. I quite liked that.
The rebel 30 does have more gain than the 20 and IMO the cleans and drive sounds are better on the 30. The watts knob is pretty useless unless the volume is at least 3/5 the way up and the tube mix isn't as drastic as expected (Egnater kindly includes a pamphlet in the case explaining the subtlety of these knobs) but the difference is noticeable.
Regardless, I chose the 30 over the others and if that wasn't an option, I'd go with the 20 or the Jet City over the Tweaker ANY DAY.

But, it's up to you. Go try them all and decide

I wish I could try them all but it is difficult finding them all to try. From all I have heard the 30 is a good improvement over the 20 and I would definitly get the 30. The 20 I thought was pretty cool and if the 30 is that much better I would have to go with it. How do you like your 30 for things like punk rock?
Quote by guitarpatrick66
I wish I could try them all but it is difficult finding them all to try. From all I have heard the 30 is a good improvement over the 20 and I would definitly get the 30. The 20 I thought was pretty cool and if the 30 is that much better I would have to go with it. How do you like your 30 for things like punk rock?

I don't play punk rock but it can handle it well. The od channel is dark and *to me* it has sort of a marshall crunch but it reminds me of a rockerverb.......weird.......
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
I don't play punk rock but it can handle it well. The od channel is dark and *to me* it has sort of a marshall crunch but it reminds me of a rockerverb.......weird.......

Sounds great! I will definitly search hard for this. Thanks for the info
The Carvin V3M just came to my mind as well. Not sure if you need a combo amp or just the head, but those are going for $600 new. Seems to be pretty versatile, maybe check out some Youtube vids on it?
Getting another Vypyr Tube 60 would be a good option, but I'm also with the Carvin V3 recommendation. More money, but worth it (you also have the option of having it factory loaded with a Celestion V30).
Quote by guitarpatrick66
Sounds great! I will definitly search hard for this. Thanks for the info

Or you could wait for the Rebel 30 HG model which was showcased at NAMM this year. It's basically the rebel with more gain on tap. From the video demo it sounds more modern more....Satriani-ish.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
The Carvin V3 looks cool blut a little bit too much. The V3M is more of what I would be interested in but I need to look into it more. I have heard some stuff about the V3M not being as good as the original V3 but I have no idea how true that is, I wish I could try them.

The Vypyr 60 is a great amp, but I wish it had an effects loop so I could try my own external effects on it (effects on a modelling amp? crazy!) because I was not too crazy about the ones on the amp.

I had not seen the Rebel 30 HG. Looks great! Maybe if I am lucky it will drive down the price of the original Rebel 30 haha.
^ that. Forget the rebel. Didn't someone have a NAD thread recently with that?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Have you thought about going digital? I can realy recomend the Eleven Rack!
You can get i new for 700 whith pro tools 10 or used for maby 500..
Its a great unit and you can get good tones whit headphones if you dont want to by monitors...

Have a look at it!

Cheers
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom
Esp Truckster
Epi Goth Explorer
Ovation Celebrity
Bjärton Bj-12
Eleven Rack
Bugera 333xl
Bugera 412H-Bk
Marschall valvestate 8080
Fish And Chips eq
Bad monkey
Zoom g9.2tt
Quote by guitarpatrick66
The Carvin V3 looks cool blut a little bit too much. The V3M is more of what I would be interested in but I need to look into it more. I have heard some stuff about the V3M not being as good as the original V3 but I have no idea how true that is, I wish I could try them.
Meant the V3m, sorry. The V3 is indeed a bit better but the V3Mc is still worth it. I believe the preamp section is at least the same as the regular V3.
Just having an amp called a Snott Watt sounds pretty awesome actually haha. I still love the tone of the V3M as well personally.
I have considered the Eleven Rack but its something I would definitly have to find to play first.

The V3m is still in the running for me, I am also heavily considering the Rebel 30 and the Snott Watt. I need to look into the Snott Watt more because a part of me is worried the awesome looks intrigue me more than anything haha. I am hoping it will be versetile enough for my needs, because I always thought for Baron as a more br00tz type of amp but I could be wrong.
yea I have also sold my bugera 6262 halfstack, not because I didnt like it (i loved it) but because being mainly a bedroom rocker now, it was too freakin loud (even with an attenuator) and took up alot of space.

one of the best setups I have had is the line 6 pod hd400 running through krk rockit 6's monitors. it sounds fantastic. pod + monitors about $700. not to mention the direct recording with it

running the pod thru an amp was meh, but thru monitors, it really shines
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at Mar 19, 2012,