(insert story here)
Any thoughts on the Peavey Vypyr? I'm kinda going for a not-so-expensive, half-decent solid state combo with somewhat high wattage until I can afford a Peavey 6505+ Half Stack.Planning to grab a Peavey Vypyr 100 and upgrade to Celestion/Eminence speakers because I heard the stock "Blue Marvels" aren't the best speakers in the world. If anyone agrees with this, could you suggest speakers to buy too? Doesn't have to be Celestion or Eminence. If anyone disagrees could you suggest a different amp? Modeling amp preferred. Don't suggest Line 6 Spider or Marshall MG please.

Budget: $600 max.

Tones: Versatile, I mainly play metal or punk. Anything heavy. Kinda getting more interested in Jazz and Classical Music (ohh I'm getting old), so something pretty versatile.
check out the roland jc120, it's not a modeling amp but it is the best solid state amp you can get. its' cleans can't be matched. just put some pedals in front of it and you'll have a better rig than any modeler you'll ever play through. best part is you can get them anywhere between 2 and 5
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by gerraguitar
check out the roland jc120, it's not a modeling amp but it is the best solid state amp you can get. its' cleans can't be matched. just put some pedals in front of it and you'll have a better rig than any modeler you'll ever play through. best part is you can get them anywhere between 2 and 5

Thanks, I saw in your sig that you have one. I try to avoid pedals because it's roughly $50+ and I have to buy the short cords. I'll probably get a daisy chain (or butterfly chain, i really don't know what it's called) So does it have overdrive and stuff. I'm looking for a heavy amp with decent cleans. Is the speaker/are the speakers half-decent? for 2-5 I'll look into it.

Edit: Can't find it for that price. It's 1200 at MF. I don't really use chorus so I wouldn't know what to do with it.
Last edited by dragonkidkoga at Mar 18, 2012,
Quote by dragonkidkoga

Edit: Can't find it for that price. It's 1200 at MF. I don't really use chorus so I wouldn't know what to do with it.

Considering that you're aiming to get a 6505, a Jazz Chorus is one of the last amps to consider.

Since you want a modeling amp get the Vypyr 60.

But why restrict yourself to modeling amps?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
From what I've heard the Vypyr Tube 60 is much better than the SS, but if you want high-gain SS modeling the Vypyrs are about as good as it gets.
Well rule of thumb is the last thing you use on the jc120 is the distortion channel. The one you saw at MF are the new ones, search around for used ones and you'll steal em. If you are dead set on an amp with gain on it then it's not the amp for you. But it takes pedals so well and has such a flat EQ that it doesn't color any of your tone. You'll need a distortion pedal in front of if that's what you want, but it will be great for if you want to get into jazz. The speakers are actually really good Roland speakers modeled after the old 75s I believe. Maybe this isn't the amp for you, but don't think you need an amp that sounds like a 6505 because you won't get that until you get a 6505, it's not like a modeling amp will be much of a better choice in that respect.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Vyper Tube 60 I think is the correct solution here.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I heard the Vypyr 100 has analog distortion. I will be playing high-gain for now, and I guess with tube amps you'll have to crank it up. Since you guys are suggesting the Vypyr Tube 60, I'll definitely look into it. Modeling amp would just be nice because I'd have some different sounds.

Edit: Will I have to change the speaker if I get the Vypyr Tube 60? I heard it has problems too.
Last edited by dragonkidkoga at Mar 19, 2012,
Not true at all. The front end is the same. To get power amp distortion out of a 60 (which is the only time there'd be a difference in distortion) would mean cranking it extremely loud. The 60 just sounds a lot better than the 100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by JKHC

Considering that you're aiming to get a 6505, a Jazz Chorus is one of the last amps to consider.

Since you want a modeling amp get the Vypyr 60.

But why restrict yourself to modeling amps?

yea. I don't really restrict myself, I hate restricting myself, saying I have to buy a certain thing. It's just preference, I can get over it. How much do you think a used 6505+ head would cost? Would never buy new, that's too expensive. Thinking about getting a 412 blackheart cab to go with it. Gotta save A LOT .
You do realise that the Vyper Tube has a tube power amp and SS modelling preamp don't you?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
go for the vypyr 60 but try to get it new for sure. i had one bad experience. and ive seen the 6505 head go for like 700 at the lowest.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The 6505+ 112 is at the top of your budget, but worth a look.

And yeah, I recommend the Vypyr Tube 60 as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I see no use in buying an amp while you're saving to buy another one.
Wait a bit longer and buy that one amp you really want.
Everything else is just substitute that will slowly start to annoy you.
Quote by Dunkelheit-164

Seconded, but if you're absolutely going to purchase an amp now go for the Vypyr tube 60 for that high gain sound.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
I'm assuming you're from the States if you're using $. Where abouts? (not for surprise buttsecks, but for looking on your local used market)
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
I'm assuming you're from the States if you're using $. Where abouts? (not for surprise buttsecks, but for looking on your local used market)

I'm Canadian, in Vancouver. Craigslist on here sucks, and I've had bad experiences with ebay so I'm not willing to go on that. So I can't buy used, unless I get lucky and you guys find me one.
Quote by Cathbard
You do realise that the Vyper Tube has a tube power amp and SS modelling preamp don't you?

Meaning I can use it as an SS or a Tube amp? I don't really understand, I've been playing guitar but I'm pretty new to all this amp stuff.
Quote by dragonkidkoga
Meaning I can use it as an SS or a Tube amp? I don't really understand, I've been playing guitar but I'm pretty new to all this amp stuff.

To put it in simple terms it's a half tube / half SS hybrid amp. At any given time you're using it as both and it has all the same features as the other Vypyrs.
Quote by Dunkelheit-164

An okay 10w or using a crappy 30w is not doing it for me anymore. I'm just borrowing the 30w actually. Buying a new amp I can always sell it and have money for my 6505+, maybe not as much but I desperately need a new amp. I think buying the halfstack I want will cost me roughly $2000 including tax. I'm 15 now, I still can't work so I guess I'll have to wait until I'm 18-19. I figure that an amp that can last me 3-4 years would serve me well, specially the Vypyr series because it has the USB 2.0 output. Sometimes I'll need to be in a place where I can have an amp to crank up. I'm trying not to postpone getting a 24-fret guitar, and making a project guitar with my friend.
Quote by dragonkidkoga

No, it means it's a hybrid. The tube power section is where the volume comes from. The preamp is where the guitar meets the modelling, which basically determines what you will sound like.

A guitar amp is made up of a preamp, which is where the guitar first meets the amp's tone, and a power amp, which drives the speaker. A power amp brings a signal up to audible level. Both play a factor in your overall sound. An amp head is just a preamp and power amp, whereas a combo amp is a preamp, power amp, and speaker in one unit.

A tube power amp will warm your sound up, and this increases as the amp gets louder. Warmth is desirable in guitar tones, thanks to its harmonic content.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Polar13
To put it in simple term's it's a half tube / half SS amp. At any given time you're using it as both and it has all the same features as the other Vypyrs.

So I'll have to use it as both always?
Quote by dragonkidkoga
So I'll have to use it as both always?

Look at Dylan's post ^
Quote by Raijouta
No, it means it's a hybrid. The tube power section is where the volume comes from. The preamp is where the guitar meets the modelling, which basically determines what you will sound like.

A guitar amp is made up of a preamp, which is where the guitar first meets the amp's tone, and a power amp, which drives the speaker. A power amp brings a signal up to audible level. Both play a factor in your overall sound. An amp head is just a preamp and power amp, whereas a combo amp is a preamp, power amp, and speaker in one unit.

A tube power amp will warm your sound up, and this increases as the amp gets louder. Warmth is desirable in guitar tones, thanks to its harmonic content.

So since the preamp is where the modelling is I won't have to buy preamp tubes because the modelling is the Solid State feature? And I'll only have to buy power tubes because that's where the volume comes from?
bump. Can someone please answer my question: Will I have to buy preamp tubes for the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60?
You will not have to buy preamp tubes for the Vypyr. An amp manufacturer will never be like "tubes sold separately" unless they want to go out of business
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
I have a Vypyr 60.

It has 2 - 6L6 power tubes
and 1 - 12AX7 preamp tube (which is a phase inverter)

The amp will ship new with tubes in it (just like all other tube amps).

If you buy a used one, you may need to get new tubes but doubtful.

All tubes die at some point in time, so yes, you will have to buy tubes at some point.

The tubed Vypyrs are pretty amazing actually, If you are into jazz, country, etc as well as rock and metal than this is a good bet for you. If you want a head then consider the Vypyr 120. Once you get a good Dual Recto or Diezel tone dialed in you won't want to get a 6505+ head. Trust me.

If you are interested in some of the different types of tones you can get with the Vypyr I have like 8 different types of clips in my profile. If you are interested in hearing good tone from the Vypyr 60 then check out shredkev's vids on youtube.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I have a Vypyr 60.

It has 2 - 6L6 power tubes
and 1 - 12AX7 preamp tube (which is a phase inverter)

The amp will ship new with tubes in it (just like all other tube amps).

Once you get a good Dual Recto or Diezel tone dialed in you won't want to get a 6505+ head. Trust me.

If you are interested in some of the different types of tones you can get with the Vypyr I have like 8 different types of clips in my profile. If you are interested in hearing good tone from the Vypyr 60 then check out shredkev's vids on youtube.

Okay, so I'll have to buy those tubes when the tubes that come in die.

I'd prefer to try both amps first, but It's impossible so I'll have to decide on sound clips from the Vypyr 120, and the 6505+. The thing is the 6505+ has been my dream amp for a really long time.

I'll definitely check out your profile, and shredkev's vids.

Is there a difference (besides wattage and plugging into a cab) between the Vypyr Tube 60 and the Vypyr Tube 120 head?
Outside of wattage - I'm not aware of any other differences.

The 120 will have 4 power tubes and the 60 will have just two power tubes.

So, the 120 will have twice as many power tubes to buy when they do die. The 120 will have more headroom - which is good for metal but 60 is still quiet a bit of headroom too.

PS: Don't make your decisions based on my clips, I'm still pretty much a guitar noob

I was just saying the 6505+ is not a good choice for jazz and pretty much anything else non-metal. The Vypyr 60/120 can hit just about any genre. The tone is not quite as good as say an all tube amp but it is close enough for me to satisfy. So the features and capabilities FOR ME out-weigh some of the modeling pitfalls.
Quote by LaidBack

Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes