Page 1 of 2
So my friend is with me right now. His dad is an ex-pro musician. His dad won't make him an account (strict Christian dad). His dad is teaching him blues, but he's forming a punk band soon. He's a beginner, like entry, but his dad wants to get him a guitar he can stick with.

Budget? - $500 limit

Favorite Artists? - Not really, listen to Christian music. Punk/metal/blues/jazz/classical

Preferences? - Don't have any.

Pickups? - Doesn't matter whether active or passive

New or Used? - New. Can buy online.

Location? - Vancouver/Richmond/Port Alberni (can go to any of those)

Current Gear? - Unknown 75 watt amp
lol

a strat would probs serve him well

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by moscaespañol

I second.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Christians against the Internet? More likely than you think.

I recommend going to a store and trying out guitars, but strats and copies are pretty comfortable. For punk and metal I recommend a humbucker, and for $500 you could get a Fender fat strat or a nice Ibanez.

Just go to MusiciansFriend.com or something and start looking at all the electric guitars in your price range.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Forgot to mention, he needs something that's comfortable. Also what strat would you recommend?
Quote by dragonkidkoga
Forgot to mention, he needs something that's comfortable. Also what strat would you recommend?

how much do mexi hss strats go for these days? you could defo get a used one for <500

or if not that, then a new squire start, if they come in hss

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
^ He said new.

If used then he could get a used 60s roadworn or even a used MIA standard if he pushes his budget up $100. I don't think the roadworns come in HSS though.

Quote by dragonkidkoga
Favorite Artists? - Not really, listen to Christian music. Punk/metal/blues/jazz/classical

What exactly does this mean? No fav artists but he listens to punk/metal/jazz etc?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Mar 18, 2012,
I'd look for a used Ibanez RG or Artcore guitar. Ibanez guitars usually have really high building standards for their price range at the expense of having less-than-amazing pups. That said, they're more than serviceable and they're definitely versatile enough to do anything you want them to (essentially, jacks of all trades, but masters of none).
squire classic vibe tele
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by JKHC
^ He said new.

If used then he could get a used 60s roadworn or even a used MIA standard if he pushes his budget up $100. I don't think the roadworns come in HSS though.

What exactly does this mean? No fav artists but he listens to punk/metal/jazz etc?

Yea, like he doesn't listen to any particular artists, but he listens to these genres.
Ummm, anyone care to guess what I'd recommend? Why yes, Ibanez RG's are great guitars in all price ranges. I love my RG5EX1, other than the low end PUPS, it's a great guitar in that price range. $400.00 USD new at GC or available online for the same. I originally chose it because it had great versatility for the price. When he can afford it, PUPS can be swapped for better ones rather easily.
Christian dad: Ibanez? Jackson? DEVIL WORSHIPPERS.

Too bad he's only going for new, I got a brand new condition Jackson DKS for 350 dollars at a pawn shop, they're around 800 dollars in a decent condition used usually I think, used to be near 1000 new.

But yeah, I support the suggestions of trying some Ibanez RGs or non-squier HSS strats.
Arms Of Empire
^ ^ ^ Band I am involved in ^ ^ ^
Please check it out? ;D

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S
Quote by moscaespañol
lol

This, I suggest a Fender Blacktop strat, they cost $500 and are very versatile due to its dual humbuckers and 5 way switch for coil tapping. I have played Blacktops and I would trade my 006 Elite in a heartbeat for one.
The modern player stratocaster would be perfect for you. Set up properly,it'll stay in tune like a floyd rose. The HSS configuration is the most versatile out there. Plus a stratocaster is probably the most comfortable guitar out there. I think the humbucker is coil tapped as well.
]
Last edited by falcon1439 at Mar 19, 2012,
I'll throw in another vote for the Fender Blacktop series. I prefer Teles, but a Strat should serve well too.
I'm thinking HSS Strat.

We don't really have a whole lot of info to work with, haha.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ibanez S420?

Mahogony body, decent tremolo and fairly good pickups.... Plus The neck pickup can be split to parallel (or single coil) mode... It is arround 450$
Dean MICHAEL AMOTT SIG. TYRANT BLOODSTORM!

Yeah, it's over budget, but I suggest it simply to piss off the parent....
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
there are christians in canada? i thought they were all atheist or something.
I laughed at all the pictures and comments, I'm probably the worst Christian alive. Soo Fender HSS Strat then?
Quote by dragonkidkoga
I laughed at all the pictures and comments, I'm probably the worst Christian alive. Soo Fender HSS Strat then?

you are either a christian or you are not.

how divinely you have lived your life or how ever many mistakes you make doesn't make you a good christian or a bad christian, it just makes you a human one.

i think you should read up on what Christianity ACTUALLY is. sounds like you have quite a few misconceptions of what its even about.

AND on the guitar end of this thread.

look at the blacktop series of fender. perfect punk guitars, and they can pretty much do anything else too. especially look towards the telecaster and jaguars.
Last edited by Ashe_Mc at Mar 20, 2012,
A MIM strat will serve him well. Especially if he is so vague in the bands and music he likes

On a side note, he wants to form a punk band but he don't know what bands he likes.......? I've never met a person in, or wanting to be in a band that has no idea of their fave bands.
SATAAAAAN!!

For that kind of money, I would get a Squire Classic Vibe + upgrades or an Ibanez S series (+ upgrades?).
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Look online and see if you can find a VINTAGE dealer.Thats the brand name.I,d buy one if I needed it.Set necks great workmanship,the looks oughta make your old man happy.They play great.Made great.Les Paul standard,$480 bucks w/HSC,ES 335 dot,w/HSC about $500.They are as good as a Gibson,and I should know. 64es-330 tdc..72-ES-355 TDSV,..68 BLACK LPC,LEFTY,59 GOLDTOP,LEFTY,2006 SCHECTER C1 CLASSIC,ANTIQUE AMBER,LEFTY,1928 NATIONAL TRI-CONE RESONATOR,ROUND NECK,PALM TREES
Last edited by panhead201 at Mar 20, 2012,
sam ash dropped the price in stores on a lot of the singlecut PRS SE models to $499. if you can swing that.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by HKSR33

On a side note, he wants to form a punk band but he don't know what bands he likes.......? I've never met a person in, or wanting to be in a band that has no idea of their fave bands.

he didnt say he didnt know, he said he doesnt have a favorite.
Long & McQuade and Tom Lee Music both have stores in Nanaimo (not too far from Port), Richmond and Vancouver.

Just go in and try some guitars out.

I would suggest also trying some of the Godins if the L&M have any in stock, you tend to get a lot more guitar for the money when you buy those in Canada.
If I miss one day of practice, I notice it.
If I miss two days, the critics notice it.
If I miss three days, the audience notices it.

Ingacy Jan Paderewski (1860 - 1941)
Quote by Ashe_Mc
you are either a christian or you are not. how divinely you have lived your life or how ever many mistakes you make doesn't make you a good christian or a bad christian, it just makes you a human one. i think you should read up on what Christianity ACTUALLY is. sounds like you have quite a few misconceptions of what its even about.
AND on the guitar end of this thread.

look at the blacktop series of fender. perfect punk guitars, and they can pretty much do anything else too. especially look towards the telecaster and jaguars.

Sentence posted was a joke. So I'll ask him to check out the blacktop telecasters and jaguars.
Quote by gregs1020
sam ash dropped the price in stores on a lot of the singlecut PRS SE models to $499. if you can swing that.

I just suggested that!
Quote by FearMyLightning
Get him Gary Holt's sig that'll piss his dad off lol

isn't that a lefty?
his dad wouldn't get mad, only if there's a bad graphic representing satan or the devil or death and stuff. His dad used to love rock soo...
Quote by dragonkidkoga
Sentence posted was a joke. So I'll ask him to check out the blacktop telecasters and jaguars.

they really are good guitars.

can go from jazz to metal easily. about the only thing they can do great is country or... country?
Quote by Ashe_Mc
they really are good guitars.

can go from jazz to metal easily. about the only thing they can do great is country or... country?

I emailed him and he told me he couldn't stand the Jaguar shape and he'll try the blacktop asap when he gets back although at the local store it is a bit out of his budget.
450 from proguitarshop.com

and look at the 12 fret on the lefty posted. that isn't something a christian should rock.
Last edited by Ashe_Mc at Mar 21, 2012,
Page 1 of 2