So, I'm hankering for a new pedal right now. Even though I've purchased two pedals in the past two months. You know how it is. PAS (Pedal Acquisition Syndrome).
Anyway, here's my current rig:

I play single coil Fender style guitars (strats and teles) through this to a Vox AC30. I play a lot of singer/songwriter and kind of classic rock and/or country type stuck (think Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Damien Rice, Fionn Reagan, Griffin House, Deirks Bentley type stuff)
I've been thinking about either an MXR Phase 90 or a Small Clone pedal to tag on. What effects do you guys think are necessary beyond what's pictured?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
A clean boost could benefit you for lead work, but you should also move your tuner closer to your guitar in your line. Typically it goes before after the way, because you want the most unaltered signal possible.
Small Clone or Small Stone are some good, cheap modulation pedals. Other than that you could get some fuzz. You really can't have too much fuzz.
Sorry, I'm'a little lost on the tuner comment. Placing the tuner after the rest of the pedals seems to make sense, since it simply takes a signal to interpret it's value. Placing it prior to the other effects, how does that change anything? Given that it's a Boss pedal, it'll "add noise" no matter where I place it in the chain.

Quote by Polar13
Small Clone or Small Stone are some good, cheap modulation pedals. Other than that you could get some fuzz. You really can't have too much fuzz.

Fuzz ain't ever been my thing. I can see if for other folks, but me, not my bag. I'm familiar with the Small Clone, but what does the Small Stone do?
Last edited by Thomme at Mar 18, 2012,
Placing the tuner earlier in the chain can give your tuner a purer guitar signal, and aid in tuning. Most guys run them close to first.

Do you have any room on your board, or would one pedal have to come off first?
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Mar 18, 2012,
I was thinking of replacing the tuner pedal. I'd take the tuner off the board and place it first, given the advice. So, I'd place the new pedal (preferably a modulation/delay/etc pedal) anywhere in between. So, if I add a new one, that TU-3 will be placed on the floor in front of the board.

I watched some videos, the Small Stone isn't really for me, may the Small Clone is, though.
Consider this new pedal... I like it!

TC Electronic Alter Ego
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3LSfEEaJmQ

It would be another type of delay, so maybe tremolo or a chorus pedal might be better for you...

By the way, what is the most your looking to spend?
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Mar 19, 2012,
Quote by BurstBucker Pro
Consider this new pedal... I like it!

TC Electronic Alter Ego
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3LSfEEaJmQ

It would be another type of delay, so maybe tremolo or a chorus pedal might be better for you...

By the way, what is the most your looking to spend?

Well, I know my SAD-1 can produce that effect, though I love the suggestion. The SAD-1 is a surprisingly versatile Japanese 80's Delay.

I use the SAD-1 as a "reverb" with the AC30 when I'm not running the FDR-1, as well. Very versatile.

But, let's say under $200. The Small Clone seems like the best idea to me right now. Given it's subtlety, simplicity and iconography, it may be my choice.
Eartquaker Rainbow Machine, FUZZ!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Fuzz, chorus, flanger, phaser. try something new. always fun trying new combinations.
Quote by Perverockstar69
Eartquaker Rainbow Machine, FUZZ!

THIS! It is single-handedly the coolest modulation pedal in the world.
Last edited by TheDuckMajor at Mar 19, 2012,
If you want to try some compression...

The wampler is a very versatile compressor...
It really fattens up a clean signal and only adds to the core tone.

Wampler Ego Compressor Effects Delay $199.97
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THXE9R-xMf8
if you play country style you will need a compressor.

look at the pigtronix philosophers tone..
Quote by Thomme
Fuzz ain't ever been my thing. I can see if for other folks, but me, not my bag. I'm familiar with the Small Clone, but what does the Small Stone do?

It's a phaser. A very good one. Some people complain about a volume drop but I've never found it to be all that noticeable.
On the lay-out front, the best place for a tuner is 1st, but if you put your wah 2nd you may get a diminished effect. Best to put the wah 1st, then the tuner. Give it a try both ways round, see which works best.
I think I've landed on either a Comp or the Small Clone. I'm leaning more towards the Comp, though. The Small Clone, it seems, produces from radical effects, but the more usable effects are achievable with what I have already. At least a facsimile is possible.

What's a decent compressor? I've never shopped for one before.
Quote by Thomme
I think I've landed on either a Comp or the Small Clone. I'm leaning more towards the Comp, though. The Small Clone, it seems, produces from radical effects, but the more usable effects are achievable with what I have already. At least a facsimile is possible.

What's a decent compressor? I've never shopped for one before.

If you care to take a peek.
Some of the boys were just talking about there favorite compressors in this thread...

http://ztalk.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=fx&action=display&thread=47287
New delay. Mod your crybaby.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I'm thinkin' a janglebox, now.
Quote by WtrPlyr
klon

Or upgrade the pedals you have now.

what upgrades would you suggest?
Quote by WtrPlyr
depends on your budget and what you're looking for in your sound.

I'm guessing true-bypass for the wah, a rehouse for the delay with a true bypass, etc., right?
The Small Clone is a good pedal. Could also try an analog delay of some sort. Malekko Ekko 616 or MXR Carbon Copy have the most bang for the buck.
Quote by pinheadslts75
The Small Clone is a good pedal. Could also try an analog delay of some sort. Malekko Ekko 616 or MXR Carbon Copy have the most bang for the buck.

I have an analog delay, the Arion SAD-1. It's a killer pedal.
Who damn uses a pedal without true bypass? just modify them it costs 15$ or less.
Quote by cemges
Who damn uses a pedal without true bypass? just modify them it costs 15$ or less.

True bypass is a bit overrated.
Maybe a chorus pedal?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by antonvrg
6 band EQ? maybe something like this http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m109-6-band-graphic-eq

I'm not interested in an EQ, at all. I get that some guys really love eqs for drastic changes in tone, but for me, I'm not interested.

I'm thinking the Small Clone chorus, Jangle Box or an MXR comp, which begs the question: if I go MXR, do I go Dyna Comp or Super Comp?

I'm particularly fond of the MXR and Small Clone prices, but I feel like my Delay can get me most sounds the small clone would that I'd want. Or at least close to. So, I'm not too thrilled with that.

The idea of the Janglebox arouses me. That thing sounds awesome. But, I feel like the price is a little high for an effect that I'd, personally, treat as a one trick pony. Hmmm... the comp will probably be my most useful addition.