I've reached that point where I don't know where to go, I can't play the songs I want to play, and I don't know how to reach them. I get discouraged easily, and I find myself playing less. Basically my picking hand is much more advanced than my fretting hand. Any advice for getting out of a rut?
how long have you been playing?

also what do you know how to play?
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by Piglizard
I've reached that point where I don't know where to go, I can't play the songs I want to play, and I don't know how to reach them. I get discouraged easily, and I find myself playing less. Basically my picking hand is much more advanced than my fretting hand. Any advice for getting out of a rut?

Stop separating the hands, it is a collective problem with both, not a problem with one of them.

Also stop getting discouraged, that's the biggest problem you could ever have.

Finally: if you can't learn what you want to from other artists... write your own material that pushes what you can do in a much more manageable way. If you do that you can specifically target things you know you're bad at or perfect things you're good at as and when you want. I would recommend working out your weaknesses though, it's better for you.

Honestly, I can't push the idea of writing your own material hard enough, so do that.

Quote by krypticguitar87
how long have you been playing?

also what do you know how to play?

Neither of these things actually matter, least of all how long TS has been playing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Piglizard

ive always set like a staircase for myself

my goal is this song
but ima find a song that has that same style but is a bit simpler
take my time and learn it
get it down then move on to next song
maybe do 2 songs then go for the gold but dont rush in, take your time cause the musics not going anywhere

but also i found something that helped a lot with coordination between the hands was a book my teacher showed
it was a PIMA(primary index middle angular?)
it was i believe 99 different 4 measure exercises and what we did was do maybe 2 or 3 a day and when we finish a whole page or both pages we would play whichever number he told us to, like play example 1, then we would jump to example 5
so on so forth, it kept us on edge and really helps with the hands