Hey guys

i hope this is in the right place, if its not thats fine ill just move it or whatever,

I FINALLY HAVE GUYS TO JAM WITH, muahahahaha, ive been looking for ages, for some people to jam with, at one point i had given up hope, but i met these guys last friday, a couple of others couldnt make it due to work but thats fine,

anyway, as i suffer from depression/anxiety, i am kinda really bloody nervous about actually jamming, i always say to myself that its a dream that wont come true blah blah, but now that its a step in the right direction, im really nervous that i wont stack up to the expectations of the others, who have been in bands before, whereas i have only jammed with a drummer,

is there any advice that more experienced people can give me, besides get high or get drunk, because i dont smoke weed, and i havnt had a reason to get drunk in over a year,

thanks for your help guys, and ill let you know what happens this weekend
dontfret about it man, just be honest and let them know that its your first fulll band thing, if its really bothering you.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
If you feel you get too nervous to perform at the top of your level with them you should probably tell them. Hopefully they'll understand, and sometimes just saying you're nervous will actually take away some of it. And the more you play with them, the more natural it'll be.

Show them you're dedicated by learning the songs you're going to play together. Even if you can't play them perfectly at once it'll show them you really want to play with them. Technique can be learnt, dedication cannot, if you make the effort they should recognise that.

And if you show up drunk or high to a rehearsal, you can expect to be kicked out in an instant.

Good luck.
Last edited by in_dreams at Mar 19, 2012,
wow, 2 replies already haha

yeah i know that turning up drunk or high isnt a good thing, even though i havnt logged on here in ages, i have been lurking, and from what i can gather, most people on here would have suggested it, (mainly those in the pit)

and there is no way im goin to be questioned on my dedication, not to sound like lars here, but i sent the txts out to the people, i organised the meeting last week, so i feel i should have some control on what we play, but im not going to be all axl like and storm away if i dont get my way etc

they know its my first band thing, i just hope that my skills are up to par, i am fully self taught, only had free online lessons through youtube,

ill go, give it my all, and see what happens
hey guys, just an update on yesterday

IT WAS SO MUCH FUN,

we mainly jammed on green day songs, but also tried out a couple metallica, deep purple (im sure you can guess what song) black sabbath, well I tried sabbath, but nobody caught on cause neither the guitarist nor bassist knew iron man, had the same problem with deep purple, which is a shame, but man i had so much fun, apart from my guitar coming out of tune after nearly every song,

but i have a slight issue, i know that was our first session, and the others want to learn songs from bands like smashing pumpkins, and the other guitarist wants me to try some enter shakiri, neither which im keen on trying, just cause im not a fan, im more into tallica, megadeth, gnr etc

what would be the best way to address this issue or should i wait and see what type of sound we go for, as i say id rather old school rock etc,

cheers for the help guys, it really means alot

craig
What you guys should decide is whether you're going to be a cover band or an originals. Sounds like covers to me due to the amount of err covers.

And if your band IS a cover band, artistic integrity say bye bye, play any songs you want. I used to think it was funny to say "yeah makes as much sense as a cover band breaking up due to creative differences", until much to my horror I saw it happening.

Because you're a beginner I'd just go with everything and learn everything. Learning and playing songs outside your comfort zone can only make you a better player.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
What you guys should decide is whether you're going to be a cover band or an originals. Sounds like covers to me due to the amount of err covers.

And if your band IS a cover band, artistic integrity say bye bye, play any songs you want. I used to think it was funny to say "yeah makes as much sense as a cover band breaking up due to creative differences", until much to my horror I saw it happening.

Because you're a beginner I'd just go with everything and learn everything. Learning and playing songs outside your comfort zone can only make you a better player.

^This

also just get everyone in the band to pick a few songs that they like and you guys learn all of them. if they want to learn some smashing pumpkins learn it then you can request metallica or megadeth, basically you should all be willing to learn everything it will make you guys all better musicians.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
sorry i should have clarified that at the start, we will most likely be an originals band, but we are just jamming on covers at the moment to see how well we gel with songs that are already popular, then that way, as has been said, during a set we can pull out a cover or two, we all have some song ideas, well im pretty sure i do, but im just abit worried about showing them to the guys as i aint that great of a player, and dont want to end up embarrasing myself
well work on originals if you are an original band.... i've found just jamming out a progression with some lead and the vocals humming can help you "gel" much better than learning a few covers.

also don't worry about embarrassing yourself, if you do, you'll never get anywhere.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Quote by krypticguitar87
well work on originals if you are an original band....

Yup. If you're working on covers you're a cover band.

This is something you really should discuss with the rest of the band.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
yeah, the other day was just a loose jam, im sure that we will in time hopefully thursday start just jamming some random stuff