Hey all. My band are going to be in the recording process soon, my drummer has got a Boss BR900CD recording unit, which he gave me to learn a few weeks back and I feel I've got the hang of it now. I did a rough recording of a track I made up a few weeks back. The lyrics were made up on the spot so that's why they're repeated. I plugged the guitar into the input and recorded it (and recorded a bass track) and used a Shure SM57 to record my vocals. Layered it all then double tracked it, EQ'd on PC. I've never done all of this before but I think it's come out OK. I know I can't sing, and don't fret I am not the singer of our band, just backing! Just did it for testing purposes really. With the band we will be mic'ing up the amps (didn't do it here as it's too loud at home) and mic'ing up the drums. So any criticism/advice would be appreciated. I feel I put way too much reverb on the solo. Youtube has somewhat compressed the sound, the original is much clearer. Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RdwQgRPE9I

edit: http://soundcloud.com/craig-davies-5/song-ab
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
Last edited by vacant_pistol at Mar 19, 2012,
...nothing?
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
Nice stuff, some drums for dynamics would make it twice the song, you might want to consider learning to program drums as its much easier than miking a whole drum kit. You've made a classic mistake though in making the guitar solo louder than it needs to be, all my recordings (which were also done on a BR 900) from the start had lead guitar way to high, because as a guitarist I had obvious bias towards it.

I've never understood why bands shell out for professional recordings when home studios are so brilliant these days.
SMILE!
Hey thanks for replying. Yeah, I didn't really bother with programming the drums as it would take a lot of time to do, as we were gonna just mic up our drum kit for future recordings. And lol yeah on the solo, it didn't sound too bad at first (as you say, bias) but now it's too loud! I still have all the original 5 layers from the Boss so could re-do it, but was just learning any hoo.

I also thought that, sure the pro studios could do some magic, but I'm a believer in doing stuff yourself to see how stuff work. Play and learn at the same time.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
It's surprisingly simple as the boss comes with a few decent preset patterns that are easy enough to arrange if you make a little note of at which bar stuff changes.

My bands done a few recordings, its cost 80 quid for a days recording, yes it had the nice equipment and I would have loved to stay there all week but there just wasn't the time to get everything perfect which is why I prefer 300 quid for infinite time a BR 900. Just something to think about.

Oh an if you want to avoid looking silly and any bias before you send new tracks/demo etc to anyone its worth after you finish recording leave it a day or so come back and have another listen you can hear much better what might help the track and mixing it is easier.
SMILE!
Last edited by Mr.DeadDuck at Mar 19, 2012,
Yeah agreed. I imagine a lot of bands "waste" money with pro studios because they don't know how powerful these little systems can be. Or think that they're too complicated.

Thanks for the heads up, it makes sense.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
Bump, C4C anyone?
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........