So yesterday I was playing my Ibanez S2170FB through my 5150 and it sounded great. I really loved the sound I was getting out of it. But then I plugged in my cheaper RG2EX1 with the "designed by EMG" passives that they made for Ibanez and, to my surprise, it sounded... well... better. It had more bite and clarity with more definition and a lot more attack. It made that djent sound when you palm muted heavily where as my Prestige kind of flubbed a little more and made a more traditional palm muted tone. Could it be the pickups? I found it odd because the EMG designed pups were always darker to me. But the seemed to be brighter through my 5150 with a ton more attack and punch. Metal just sounded better on it. I'm wondering if it's the pickups or the body wood (the prestige is mahogany and the cheaper RG2EX1 is alder). Any ideas?
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Ibanez are known for making crap pickups,and that certainly was true in my case. It probably is your pickups. The EMG designed passive ones are probably not great either. If you put some decent quality pickups in you'll know about it.

I don't know about the wood, it could be because of that but IMO it's more likely to be the pickups.
]
Last edited by falcon1439 at Mar 19, 2012,
Quote by falcon1439
Ibanez are known for making crap pickups,and that certainly was true in my case. It probably is your pickups. The EMG designed passive ones are probably not great either. If you put some decent quality pickups in you'll know about it.

I don't know about the wood, it could be because of that but IMO it's more likely to be the pickups.

Yeah the pickups are the only things I don't like about my Prestige. I just wanna make sure it's the pups before I drop 80 bucks on a new pup. I was confused because I actually really like the tone of the stock EMG designed Ibanez pickups. They sound good to me at least
Taylor 214CE

The Designed by EMG's probably aren't "better" than your stock IBZ pups, they probably just have a tonal frequency range that is more favorable to your ears.

Though that point is for all intents and purposes moot.

If you don't want to go active, just get some D Activators or D Sonic/PAF Pro or Liquifire and call it a day.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The Designed by EMG's probably aren't "better" than your stock IBZ pups, they probably just have a tonal frequency range that is more favorable to your ears.

Though that point is for all intents and purposes moot.

If you don't want to go active, just get some D Activators or D Sonic/PAF Pro or Liquifire and call it a day.

This, totally this. Also, the type of wood has almost nothing to do with it, crap pickups will sound like crap pickups regardless of wood especially though a 5150 at high gain.
Quote by ethan_hanus
This, totally this. Also, the type of wood has almost nothing to do with it, crap pickups will sound like crap pickups regardless of wood especially though a 5150 at high gain.

Word I know that... I was just kinda baffled as to why the pickups in my cheap RG2EX1 sounded so much better. Anyone have any experience with the DiMarzio D-Activator X? I was thinking of throwing one in the bridge. I heard the X2N is great too but it might be a little overkill. I want to stick with passives. Oh and I'd love to go BKP but I just can't see myself dropping that much on a pickup.
Taylor 214CE

Bump regarding pickups lol
Taylor 214CE

I wouldn't recommend the X2N. It's a pickup that seems to have too much output, and gets muddy because of it. I don't really know a lot about the DAX, or what it's supposed to accomplish that the DA doesn't (besides just having more output, which the DA doesn't really need).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Not your pickups, the S2170FB just isn't a very good guitar.

Tell you what, I'll buy you another RG2EX1 in the color of your choice and send it to you in exchange for your Prestige.

I know, I know, I'm letting you take advantage of me, but that's just the type of person I am...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Offworld92
I wouldn't recommend the X2N. It's a pickup that seems to have too much output, and gets muddy because of it. I don't really know a lot about the DAX, or what it's supposed to accomplish that the DA doesn't (besides just having more output, which the DA doesn't really need).

Yeah I was gonna avoid the X2N. I heard it gets really muddy like you said. That's why the DAX struck me. It's a rail style pup like the X2N but with more clarity and less output than an X2N while still being more articulate and slightly higher in output than the D-Activator. I've never personally used a D-Activator though so I'm kinda shooting in the dark.
Quote by Arby911
Not your pickups, the S2170FB just isn't a very good guitar.

Tell you what, I'll buy you another RG2EX1 in the color of your choice and send it to you in exchange for your Prestige.

I know, I know, I'm letting you take advantage of me, but that's just the type of person I am...

funny...
Taylor 214CE

Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Save up for aftermaths

I don't think I'm comfortable dropping 300 bucks on a set of pups... even though I know how nice they are...
Taylor 214CE

I would definitely recommend a D'Activator bridge for an Ibanez S. Works great in Mahogany. Would get something different for the neck though not too sure what. Unless you can get a set of D'Activators at a good price, then you might as well. But I found the neck version to be a bit lacking - that's probably not very helpful, but whatever.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by VVolverin3
I would definitely recommend a D'Activator bridge for an Ibanez S. Works great in Mahogany. Would get something different for the neck though not too sure what. Unless you can get a set of D'Activators at a good price, then you might as well. But I found the neck version to be a bit lacking - that's probably not very helpful, but whatever.

Ironically, the qualities that make the bridge pickup disappointing for me (flubby, inarticulate, and too low on output) make the neck pickup great for pushing a nice mellow clean tone from my 5150. It makes a nice metal clean tone if that makes any sense... it's very sterile and clinical (think like a fear factory kinda clean tone) but still versatile. It makes for nice ambient down tuned chords and slides. But word, I'll definitely look into the D'Activator more. If it helps balance out the darkness of the mahogany, that's a plus and worth it. I just want my mahogany S to cut like an Alder/Basswood RG or at least be as bright and punchy.

EDIT: Could the tone/volume pots have anything to do with it? I've been realizing that the volume has been a little noisy on roll off's and such. I wondering if throwing in new pots could make a difference? Maybe there's a difference in 250k ohm and 500k ohm pots sound wise
Taylor 214CE

Last edited by Krauser at Mar 21, 2012,