Page 1 of 2
I am between a kramer striker 211 custom an epiphone lp studio deluxe and a squier vibe 50s.which should i pick???i like to play blues rock and hard rock.
what do you play more of? the kramer and the epi would probably be better for the hard rock stuff and the squier may be better for blues or some classic rock stuff. i'd suggest lookinjg for aused guitar as you'll get a better instrument for your money.
I got an Epiphone LP Studio and the Squier CV 50s. The Squier's definately more value for the money, it's a good guitar and imo just as good as the mexian Fender standard guitars. It's singlecoils though, which means it's a different sound and not as pushing as a humbucker would be. It's good for Blues and Hard Rock, maybe not so good for Metal.
All three are good budget guitars, Cant say much for the other two but the kramer with a pickup swap is really a great guitar, although it depends if you're into the eighties look or not, personally i love it. The kramer would be the most versitile aswell with the humbucker and single coils. Take into the consideration the amount of hassle the floyd rose will be however.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
An effin epiphone!!! Those other ones arent made for blues and hard rock, maybe the squier but the epiphone is wayy better if you can play well
Quote by Dhclark92
An effin epiphone!!! Those other ones arent made for blues and hard rock, maybe the squier but the epiphone is wayy better if you can play well

not the epiphone les paul studio! the squier and kramer are way better than it.

Noob.
Can you have stevie ray vaughan tone with the kramer???i am asking cuz it has a single coil
1. no
2. standard
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
If you're getting the Epiphone, get at least a standard.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by pankar94
Can you have stevie ray vaughan tone with the kramer???i am asking cuz it has a single coil
If that's the sort of vibe you want, get the Squier. It's the only one of the three that will do that kind of tone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
This is my top 5 list for the guitar tone.
1) Guns n Roses
2)Lynyrd Skynyrd
3)Jimi Hendrix,
4)Led Zeppelin
5)Stevie Ray Vaughan.
So which guitar is better???
Quote by pankar94
1) Guns n Roses
2)Lynyrd Skynyrd
3)Jimi Hendrix,
4)Led Zeppelin
5)Stevie Ray Vaughan.

pretty diverse range of tones and that kinda brings up the point that no guitar is that versatile. sure you can get kinda close to all of those with some work (depending on the rest of your gear) but no one guitar will nail all of those.

hendrix and SRV you are pretty much talking SSS strat (although both used humbucker equiped guitars for some tracks). skynyrd totally depends on which song and who was playing the leads. strats, firebirds and LPs were used and all have different tones. GnR and Zep are for the most part are associated with LPs.

the other big issue will be the rest of your gear. can your amp handle all those tones. if the answer is no then regardless of what guitar you get you will fail at some of them. an HSS strat is probably your best bet just don't espect to nail the tones but come reasonably close to most of them.
If i pick a les paul standard which amp should i buy???i am going to spend 500€ for all the gear.lp std costs 300,a case and other accessories will cost 60-70€.so i will have to spend 100-130 for an amp.
Quote by pankar94
1) Guns n Roses
2)Lynyrd Skynyrd
3)Jimi Hendrix,
4)Led Zeppelin
5)Stevie Ray Vaughan.

If i were you, i'd wait until you can get an LP and an SSS Strat. No one guitar can cover all of those tones. You'll also need a very versatile amp along with half a dozen effects pedals to produce such a wide range of sounds.

Not even a HSS strat can do it because strats sound nothing like LP's

Basically what you're asking for is a rig that consists of multiple guitars and amps, which is probably far beyond your budget.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 20, 2012,
Quote by pankar94
If i pick a les paul standard which amp should i buy???i am going to spend 500€ for all the gear.lp std costs 300,a case and other accessories will cost 60-70€.so i will have to spend 100-130 for an amp.

if that is all you have to spend on an amp then you are justing setting yourself up for an epic tone fail. an amp that cheap just plain won't get you the tones you want. save for a better amp.
An amp that can do all those tones is going to cost you at least €300, probably closer to €400. So you need ot budget for that. A €100-€130 amp is not going to come anywhere close to the range of tones you want.

As for the guitar, the sort of tones you listed includes both SSS Strats and also Les Pauls. Complete opposites. Something in the middle (like the Kramer) won't really do either tone well. The Strat will do Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan well but doesn't have a hope of doing Guns N Roses. The Les Paul will do GNR and Led Zeppelin well but it doesn't have a chance of doing SRV or Hendrix tones. What you're asking for is both guitars in one, which doesn't exist. If those are the sorts of tones you want to get then you're going to need to get two guitars; one Strat, one Les Paul.

In other words, you gotta wait and save up more money. Your current budget simply will not stretch far enough to get you the range of tones you want.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Sorry for my noob question.i am a beginner and i dont know much about guitars.should i buy a good amp and a cheap beginner guitar and buy a better later or buy a good guitar now and get a good amp later?
Last edited by pankar94 at Mar 20, 2012,
Quote by pankar94
Sorry for my noob question.i am a beginner and i dont know much about guitars.should i buy a good amp and a cheap beginner guitar and buy a better later or buy a good guitar now and get a good amp later?

I'd get a guitar first. At least then you'll have something quarter way decent to play on.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by pankar94
1) Guns n Roses
2)Lynyrd Skynyrd
3)Jimi Hendrix,
4)Led Zeppelin
5)Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Nice taste in music.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
If you have that kind of a budget i would go for a Epiphone LP Standard and a Line 6 Spider IV. You will get a lot of different tones out of the amp and for your budget i think it will meet your expectations Good luck
"This is no Bridget Jones!"
Quote by drillmaster
If you have that kind of a budget i would go for a Epiphone LP Standard and save MOAR. You will get a lot of different tones out of the amp and for your budget i think it will meet your expectations Good luck

Fixed.

Line 6 Spiders are awful.
Quote by TheSennaj
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 21, 2012,
kramer would probably be the best pick quality wise
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Last edited by Eggmond at Mar 21, 2012,
If you know the november rain song.can i have the final (outro) solo tone on a strat sss???
No. You absolutely can't. Slash's tone comes from slightly overwound bar magnet humbuckers in a mahogany and maple-bodied, set mahogany neck Les Paul with a fixed bridge.

A Strat is the opposite of that in every way. The body wood is different, the neck wood is different, the bridge is different, the pickusp are different in every way, the controls are different, even the length of the guitar is different.

It's this simple: if you want a tone like Slash, you need a Les Paul or a similar instrument like an SG, Explorer or PRS. If you want a tone like Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan then you need a Strat. You can not get both tones in one guitar. They are total opposites.
Quote by MrFlibble
No. You absolutely can't. Slash's tone comes from slightly overwound bar magnet humbuckers in a mahogany and maple-bodied, set mahogany neck Les Paul with a fixed bridge.

A Strat is the opposite of that in every way. The body wood is different, the neck wood is different, the bridge is different, the pickusp are different in every way, the controls are different, even the length of the guitar is different.

It's this simple: if you want a tone like Slash, you need a Les Paul or a similar instrument like an SG, Explorer or PRS. If you want a tone like Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan then you need a Strat. You can not get both tones in one guitar. They are total opposites.

this is correct. dude since you are a beginner then i think you need to worry more about learning to play than worring about being able to duplicate tones. you need to get an amp that is capable of delivering a good tone so you sound decent. learn to play and then worry about getting those tones.
Ok guys.thanks for your help and your advices.one last (noob) question.which easier and harder to play and why?i dont have any music store in my town so i cant try them.
Quote by pankar94
Ok guys.thanks for your help and your advices.one last (noob) question.which easier and harder to play and why?i dont have any music store in my town so i cant try them.

they're all hard to play when you are a beginner . it varies from person to person and a lot of that has to do with what you start with. all there have different bridge setups and requier different hand positions for your picking hand.

Les Paul style axes are often perceived as easier to play but you have to get used to the tilted neck. personally i'm not a big fan ( i have owned a couple of LPs over the years so it wasn't for a lack of trying.) shorter scale length does make a difference to some players.

Strat style with non locking trem. the longer scale length will throw off those used to shorter scales like the LP. the bridge is flat to the body and makes for easy picking. many have grumbled that strats are harder to play. they can be and do make you work a little harder (imho). the results are that you have to learn better technique and the guitar will reward your efforts. single coils sound thin to many and you have to learn how to eq your amp for them to get the best sound. not as easy as humbuckers which with a decent amp can be more plug and play in the good sound dept.

the Kramer i assume has a floyd rose style bridge. these can be tough on beginners as they requier more know how to get them to work correctly. once you get the hang of them they can be really great though.
Hey buddy, if I were you I'd go with something like a Fender Mustang III amp or a Vox Valvetronix (I have a valvetronix and love it, gets all the tones I want from it except maybe some more modern metal stuff). That should leave you about ~$200 for a guitar - my first guitar was a Squier Fat Strat, and that thing lasted me 8 years. The tone is decent, I could get a decent hendrix-ey tone out of it and some srv type tones from it, as well as some more harder rock with the bridge. Although, if you want full on srv style tones definitely go for the sss because I don't think you can get 100% of his tones without that strat-like bridge pickup.

Keep in mind - everybody is saying you can't get a GnR tone on a strat, which is true. Although, you CAN get an awesome zepp tone (most of their early stuff was on a tele). And, you can definitely play GnR style solos, it just won't sound exactly like slash. But it'll still sound good (IMO at least...).

Like everyone else has said, go for Les Paul for GnR tone, go for Strat for SRV/Hendrix. Anything in between you can play, but it obviously won't sound perfect.

Honestly though, I recommend getting a better amp - anything under $150 won't give you any of the tones your looking for, just from what I've experienced.

EDIT: Also, I think the strat is a little easier to play on, but that's mostly based on opinion anyway. And I'm partial to strats
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster w/ Floyd Rose
Vox Valvetronix 40+
Last edited by Sonolin at Mar 21, 2012,
Quote by pankar94
is peavy vypyr 30 a good amp???

for the price it certainly is but for the music that you like id actually get a vox valvetronix 20. the peavey is more suited to metal.
please suggest me an amp for hendrix style and another for guns n roses style.
you're a beginner, there is really no need for two amps and anyway the amps that we've suggested to you will do those sounds quite well. get one amp and one guitar and then once you've improved and saved for another guitar get one.

listen, we can recommend you something really good for the price if you just tell us your budget for the amp and which tone you want more: SRV's or Guns N Roses'.

Youre just making things difficult.
Quote by TheDuckMajor
you're a beginner, there is really no need for two amps and anyway the amps that we've suggested to you will do those sounds quite well. get one amp and one guitar and then once you've improved and saved for another guitar get one.

listen, we can recommend you something really good for the price if you just tell us your budget for the amp and which tone you want more: SRV's or Guns N Roses'.

Youre just making things difficult.

sorry.my bugdet is 150€ and suggest me a srv amp
Page 1 of 2