Page 1 of 2
I mean most people play guitar rather than bass, and I know very little bassists in person like.

I bought a bass for the lolz, and because there are so little bassists where I live, I ended up playing bass for the school at all those wee plays and concerts they have.

So yeah, whats your story?
Began playing bass quite recently. Started after seeing Opeth live, Martin Mendez is one hell of a bass player!
When I started, guitar just seemed over my head, so I chose bass, thinking it was easier. At this point, I do more on bass than most people do on a guitar, and I've started playing guitar as well, so although I didn't choose it for the right reasons, I'm glad I picked bass.
i used to listen to alot of muse and as.. weird as it sounds i'd had enough of 'high frequencies' having done flute and similar since i was 7.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Took one lesson on acoustic guitar, I knew even before that, that I wasn't 100% eager to do anything acoustic. So with no electric guitar, and an appreciation for the bass lines in the music, I borrowed a friends, brothers bass and kept a going.

was never a distaste of guitar, I do own a nice guitar setup now, but prefer the low end. Not the frequencies mind you, because I love my Esquire rocking flat wounds, tone disengaged for extra bright, into a classic 30 stack.

When it comes to bass though, I liked Krist Novoselic and other bassists with a solid, driving tone, and songs like Breed when his dirt pedal kept him driving the low end, but when kurt went off on one of his 1-3 note solos flopping on the floor, you didn't notice the absence of half the riff maker. And that has always been an inspiration as I am sure many of you have/had, to have a sound and style that can fit the song and still come out sounding like you.

Now I am more into big growling stoner riffs, and classic 60's thump. My tone encompasses a bit of all that now, but still holds to the same idea.
Chicks, weed, ungodly power, Chris Squire and Geddy Lee...the usual.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I wanted to take up an instrument, couldn't sing, the majority of the guitarists I knew were completely egotistical which was a turn-off to me even back then, and I knew I'd have trouble finding a band as a guitarist, which was what I wanted to do. I wanted to learn drums, we didn't have space for a drumkit and it would be too loud, plus my dad (who plays guitar) wanted a bass, so offered to my buy me my first one if I decided to take bass up. I also knew I'd be able to get away with being bad on bass a lot easier because people were less likely to pay me any attention, but that if I ever got anywhere with it I'd be able to show off a bit and people would notice... seemed win/win really, so I took up bass and haven't looked back.
I like the wider string spacing of a bass. I can express myself fine on any instrument.

that and my hearing is pitiful in the upper registers but I can hear low frequencies very well. Even bands like Dragonforce which are notorious for having almost no bass I hear the bass over all the other instruments.

bass sounds better solo too, guitar is a really gross sounding instrument solo without layers of effects. Violins and soprano recorders have the same issue.
Last edited by CJ Noble at Mar 19, 2012,
I decided to concentrate mainly on bass, but learn both a couple of years before I actually started on either one. My dad plays brass bass and whenever a song stuck in my mind it was always the bass line that stuck first. I started on acoustic guitar first, because I just happened to gain access to one first when I was given it as a gift, along with a set of lessons. I knew of no guitar shops near me at the time and I wasn't fully online yet so it didn't even occur to me to look on eBay or anything and I didn't really know where to start looking for a bass. And then one week my family and I were in Devon and waiting for a bus to take us back to our hotel. And right next to the stop was a flea market with the doors wide open. My dad buys and sells collectables occasionally so we took a look to see if he could pick anything up in there that he could sell on. And propped up at one end of a table a few spots up from the door was my Columbus, which I pounced on. Got it for £50, and it being case-less I ended up with it strapped into the seat next to me for the four or five hours it took to get home at the end of the week.

That gave me more motivation to research and being more used to the internet by then, I found some online lessons, located my closest guitar shop and bought a practice amp. The Columbus is pretty heavy and crackles a bit, so eventually I got a cheap bass from eBay so I could practice for longer periods of time. But it was terribly set up and and I had no idea how to adjust it, the general quality wasn't great and I wasn't keen on the sound either so I didn't really see the point in paying to have it set up. So I decided to just sell it on and after reading a ton of forum threads and reviews I made a list of three or four other models to keep an eye out for. A week later, my Zodiac was listed on eBay. Used and in a battered old case, but only three months old and with just one tiny non-scratch mark on the scratch pad which is only really visible if you tilt it into the light and you're actually looking for it. I'd actually had the Zodiac Scorpio DE on my list, but the price and the condition were too good to pass up on the BXP.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
I became a bassist after 7 years of (not) playing guitar.

I definetly never took it seriously, and i had a guitar teacher between 15-17 that sucked and never motivated me. That's when i first thought bas would be easier. at least, it would be easier to have a level that would be enough to be in a band.

Then, I took up bass, after paying more attention to every song's bassline, and i was attracted to it after listening to Flea.

then, i borrowed a friend`s bass for a couple of weeks, and i liked it. got my new bass, and my teacher, which always gives me things difficult to play, makes me try hard to get all things done as well as i can.

I'm still a begginer, but i think that in the 5 months i've been playing bass, i improved much more than in the 6-7 years as a (non) guitarist. I am taking it more seriously, getting better results, and, most importantly, having a lot of fun learning. Also, I'm not taking it as an easy instrument, and i plan to get as good as i can get technicaly, musically, etc etc...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Brother needed a bassist for his band. Took the bass, loved it like it was my own daughter. Was never really a fan of shredding and shit, but I really liked the funky lines you can do on a bass. I feel more at home with the bass.

GRAY RAINBOW

99 Red Balloons was my favorite song in Gran Tourismo 3.
It led to me buying the album "Stomping Ground" (Still one of my favorite albums)
It led to me wanting to play music, but I didn't want to play guitar because chords seem hard...

So I begged my parents for a bass :3
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
After being a guitarist for twenty something years I picked up the bass because I realized it was really the heartbeat of the music. Also because I love Iron Maiden. They're bassist Steve Harris is incredible. he can hammer out 32nd notes like whole notes.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
no one played it in my music class at school, and my mates needed a bassists to play Lost Control by Grinspoon. learnt that song, took it from there.
Oh, dude, I just love music. Why wouldn't I play bass too?

Got a drum kit as well.

Next is a cello!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I wanted to play an instrument and the bass always stood out for me. I like playing the guitar and I am ok at it. But Bass oh man when I play my bass its like an orgasm. I feel it running threw me. When I hold a guitar thats just what i am doing holding it. When I pick up a bass I become part of it and vice a versa.
A combination of Mike Dirnt, my friend's band needing a bass player, and needing a hobby. There's a lot less bassists than there are guitarists, and I thought Jazz basses looked awesome. So I bought a squier and have gone on from there.
When I was like ten I asked for a bass at Chritsmas because I wanted to be in band when I was older and I knew a lot of people sung, played guitar, and drummed, so I would be needed. Now I feel wanted by so many bands without bass.

Logistics.
Well, because being a 5'4" tattooed, pierced punked out Buddhist female in a male dominated IT industry wasn't getting me enough attention, I decided to pick up an instrument that looks disproportionately large when I am playing it.

I've always loved bass and the real story is a bit too long and has been told elsewhere.

Quote by FatalGear41
Chicks, weed, ungodly power, Chris Squire and Geddy Lee...the usual.

Yeah, that too, minus the chicks. I just married the drummer.
Disproportionately large instruments are great fun. I'm somewhere between 5'3" and 5'4". I swear every single gig I get the usual "lol mayt, your guitar is bigger than you" from some drunkard. Real original, doesn't wear thin at all.
It was mostly because I was getting frustrated with my utter lack of talent at guitar solos, and my general impatience about my progress in skill/playing ability. I thought, "Well, I'll just play bass then, piece of cake!"
That was my first mistake, but one that I'm glad I made.
It also got me into a lot of music that I didn't really care much for before (Rush, Dream Theater, Jaco Pastorius, Michael Manring), and made me pay more attention to the stuff that I was already listening to, which really heightened my enjoyment of it..
Plus, the idea just seemed fun. Somehow the guy standing to the side of the stage, having a good time and just rocking out has always pulled my attention more than the jackass at the front, desperately trying to compensate for whatever physical or mental shortcomings he might possess by re-enacting a spider having an epileptic seizure with his fingers (No offense meant to shred guitarists everywhere, it's just a matter of taste).
Quote by Ziphoblat
Disproportionately large instruments are great fun. I'm somewhere between 5'3" and 5'4". I swear every single gig I get the usual "lol mayt, your guitar is bigger than you" from some drunkard. Real original, doesn't wear thin at all.

I get that all the time along with "Why didn't a small girl like you take up the ukelele?"
I picked up bass because I picked up recording and my recordings needed bass

Quote by CJ Noble
I like the wider string spacing of a bass. I can express myself fine on any instrument.

that and my hearing is pitiful in the upper registers but I can hear low frequencies very well. Even bands like Dragonforce which are notorious for having almost no bass I hear the bass over all the other instruments.

bass sounds better solo too, guitar is a really gross sounding instrument solo without layers of effects. Violins and soprano recorders have the same issue.

facepalm.jpg
I really wanted to play an instrument and a friend of mine, who plays bass, suggested the bass.

What kept my playing is just the awesomeness of locking in with a drummer and knowing that, no matter what else is put on top, you are carrying the song.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
I play trombone, as a part of the lessons I get through school I had to do three years of classroom music. Part of the first year of that class was learning guitar, drums, keyboard, and bass, on a simple level (simple chords on guitar and keyboard, simple rock beat on drums, and root notes on bass). And she expected us to continue one on for the next two years, I chose bass to get the teacher off my back about learning keyboard and because I already read bass clef.

I kept on because I find much joy knowing I'm better than most of the guitarists I meet and not having to make it obvious.
I played guitar first, and I just wanted to have some knowledge in as many stringed instruments as possible. I bought a bass off a friend of mine and I fell in love. I'm the type of person who loves physically feeling music in your chest, nawmeen? When i picked up that bass, slapped the E and felt my heart rumble...OH MAN. Had to change my pants. Theres something sultry and smooth about a good bassline.
Quote by justinrobbins7
*unzipppp* "Deal with this, wench."

Quote by Mazzakazza
Ug Knows 1000% More About Scrotal Sacs Than Real Doctors.
Hm Let Me Investigate. You Has The Painful Scroties? You Has Aids.
Next Plz.
Quote by CJ Noble

Not sure if troll... Or... What... I don't even...
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
In middle school I played trombone as my starter instrument for band. I then moved on to bass because it was an electric instrument and that was cool as sh*t. Though I only played bass for a little bit in band because trombone was just more interesting when it came to orchestral types of music.

Then in my Sophomore year, 2 of my friends (a guitarist and drummer) were playing music together and I was like "I kind of play bass..."

And the story unfolds.
Main Basses:
Warwick RB Corvette 5
Douglas Sculptor 825 NA Fretless 5

Main Rig:
Sansamp>GK Backline 600>2 GK BLX 210 Cabinets
I saw "Cliff 'em All" when I was 15, got my first bass the next year and later seen the video for "Tommy the Cat" and thought "S##t I quit!"!
Schector 5 string Omen
Kona 5 string
Behringer BX4500H
Behringer 410
Behringer 115
Gorilla 30w
I started playing bass because I didn't want to waste my summer playing video games & I was looking for something new to do.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
Quote by King Of Suede
Not sure if troll... Or... What... I don't even...

what part of it don't you like?
he maybe surprised because you said the bass sounds better solo, and that you hear a lot better in the lower registers.

what you're saying about you're hearing sounds a little bit exaggerated, but i think it is possible. i think that's what could have made king of suede doubt if you were trolling or anything.

Maybe if you further explain what you stated before? I don't think your are lying, but it sounds kinda weird. please don't get offended, I'm trying to explain something that i think may have happened, but i don't really have a clue.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Don't think he was trolling either, just kind of an odd post.

I can't say I have amazing lower register hearing, but I have noticed once I took an interest in playing music in general, It was like I heard music again for the first time. As such, I noticed music was more than just a thick mass, but a group of individual sounds, and bass lines really spoke out to me and have ever since obviously.
Quote by Sudaka
he maybe surprised because you said the bass sounds better solo, and that you hear a lot better in the lower registers.

what you're saying about you're hearing sounds a little bit exaggerated, but i think it is possible. i think that's what could have made king of suede doubt if you were trolling or anything.

Maybe if you further explain what you stated before? I don't think your are lying, but it sounds kinda weird. please don't get offended, I'm trying to explain something that i think may have happened, but i don't really have a clue.

My hearing is extremely sensitive in the 250-700 Hz range and more sensitive than average in the 20-200 range, while it's pretty poor in the 1-4 KHz range where most people have the most sensitive hearing.

I can also hear lower frequencies than most (to about 15Hz reliably) and my high frequency cutoff is closer to 15KHz instead of the normal 18-20KHz

Basically, you kids should wear earplugs to concerts.

As for bass sounding better solo, guitars just aren't a pleasant sounding instrument without some bass to thicken them up.
Quote by CJ Noble
My hearing is extremely sensitive in the 250-700 Hz range and more sensitive than average in the 20-200 range, while it's pretty poor in the 1-4 KHz range where most people have the most sensitive hearing.

I can also hear lower frequencies than most (to about 15Hz reliably) and my high frequency cutoff is closer to 15KHz instead of the normal 18-20KHz

Basically, you kids should wear earplugs to concerts.

As for bass sounding better solo, guitars just aren't a pleasant sounding instrument without some bass to thicken them up.

how do you know all this about you? I'd like to know which things i hear more...
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
how do you know all this about you? I'd like to know which things i hear more...

Long day with a tone generator or fancy hearing test maybe? I'd like to know too.
Quote by Sudaka

I was having a slow day at work a few years ago so I broke out the soldering iron and made a variable tone generator with volume and pitch controls using a 555 and some other basic parts. We graphed out everyone's equal loudness contours and compared them and then did some research on averages
Page 1 of 2