Hey guys, kinda new to recording. but i got this song im writing and its got some of that fizz in the high end that you get with high gain recordings. my question is whats the best way to remove that?

heres an example of an unfinished song}
Song Example
all the guitars are lightly gated, comp'ed and eq'd
any other suggestions would be great thanks!
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Last edited by travs2448 at Mar 19, 2012,
EQ the high highs down, like the top frequency range. Beyond that I'm still trying to figure out myself.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

sounds like normal digital fizz. for guitars i low-pass around 6k
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Low pass between 4 and 6k.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Low pass between 4 and 6k.

4k? Yikes, that seems a bit harsh...

I'd say, start at 10k and bring it down until it starts losing aggressiveness (unless you don't want that). Usually, I low pass around 8k, sometimes as low as 6k, but after that, I find the tone gets way too smooth and muddy.

The fizz is there to add aggressiveness and sizzle to let it cut through the rest of the instruments a bit better. If you're cutting it all out, you're left with a pretty bland tone IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i agree i want some fizz left, but i try to eq it out a bit. it is recorded from a digital vox tonelab so it might be a bit hard
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
On guitar modeling software and processors, I learned a little bit of a secret in taming that digitalized harsh fizz in high gain guitar tracks. A low pass around 10khz is pretty good, but check this out;

Try a VERY NARROW cut (like the Q value of 40-50) at 7.8 or 7.9khz, it definitely takes out the harsh fizz that occurs when using high gain with modelling stuff. Try it out and see if it works, I always do that when I'm using Amplitube, LePou and TSE amp simulations.

You don't need to do this at all when miking up a high gain amp though, or using impulses with a real amp head etc.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*
Low passing will work. If you still want the high end there but want to smooth it out this works pretty well:

http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=11702

I always mic guitars so I don't have that problem on my own recordings but mixing other peoples stuff where they DI'd I liked this plugin in quite a bit.
Quote by MatrixClaw
4k? Yikes, that seems a bit harsh...

I'd say, start at 10k and bring it down until it starts losing aggressiveness (unless you don't want that). Usually, I low pass around 8k, sometimes as low as 6k, but after that, I find the tone gets way too smooth and muddy.

The fizz is there to add aggressiveness and sizzle to let it cut through the rest of the instruments a bit better. If you're cutting it all out, you're left with a pretty bland tone IMO.

This, 4-6 k low pass will leave you almost nothing to work with, and it seems like it's high passed way to much, has no low end.

Also, add a bass guitar in there if you haven't, it'll thicken up the mix and support the guitars lower end without mudding up the mix.
Also try recording with less gain. You usually need less gain in recording than you do live.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Firstly add a bass in, or if its already there turn it up. Try low and high passing the guitars, helps to clear off the high end fizz and low mud that can build up and using less gain helps a lot as well.
Sweet, thanks guys, i'll post another try tommarow
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan