Page 1 of 2
Whats a great jazz or blues album? Anytime frame any artist. I'm wanting to expand my music in these areas
Quote by behind_you
Ostrich thread would've been much better.

Quote by JustRooster
Alright, alright. Whatever. Here's what I'll do. I'm an evolutionary biology major. When I graduate I'll give her all my text books for your birthday. And I won't even get her pregnant.
John Coltrane, Miles Davis, the list goes on.
¯|(°_o)/¯
Robert Johnson man; me and the devil, some good ol' Mississippi Delta Blues
Quote by vanhailin
This man knows his shit.
Thanks guys!
Quote by behind_you

Quote by JustRooster
Alright, alright. Whatever. Here's what I'll do. I'm an evolutionary biology major. When I graduate I'll give her all my text books for your birthday. And I won't even get her pregnant.
Quote by FrauVfromPoB
Charles Mingus. That's the shit you want. Check this song out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__OSyznVDOY Makes me want to slap my mother.

It's funny how people link to that song where Mingus isn't even playing bass. It's still a pretty badass version, i agree.

Also OP, if you want something really smooth bluesy jazz to listen too maybe check out some hardbop like Art Blakey.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2je_TvW549E
Awesome trumpet solo by Lee Morgan.
¯|(°_o)/¯
I really like the Art Blakey, more so than the Charles Mingus. I'm a pretty big fan of Frank Sinatra. What would Frank be classified as? I'm thinking Jazz
Quote by behind_you

Quote by JustRooster
On top of what's been said, just a few more:

Paul Chambers - Bass On Top
Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come

Also you might like some of the jazzier bits of Jimmy Bryant or Danny Gatton.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Check out any Miles Davis album that ends in "-in'"( Cookin', Relaxin' etc.)

Ofcourse there more modern stuff like mike brecker, chris potter, roy hargrove, joshua redman, mark turner...the list is endless
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

Blues. Jazz sucks.

A few more contemporary blues artists.

Mark Selby
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Derek Trucks
Johnny Lang
Gary Moore
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Joey-Tribiani
Hell yeah.

And to the guy above me - If jazz sucks, how come a jazz artist has been on Arthur?
It doesnt add up.

Not my fault if some segment of the population has poor taste...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Not my fault if some segment of the population has poor taste...

When its you, it kinda is...
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

Willie Dixon - I Am The Blues

The man. As well as writing classics for others, he performed a few himself.

For some awesome harmonica go with Sonny Boy Williamson - The Real Folk Blues.
Blue Jays, Seahawks, Raptors, Habs, Peterborough United FC, Gold Coast Suns.
Last edited by Blimpy19 at Mar 19, 2012,
Quote by Arby911
Blues. Jazz sucks.

You are aware that jazz is probably one of the widest genres of music? There's no way you can have listened to everything from Charlie Parker to Peter Brötzmann and come to the conclusion that it's all bad.
¯|(°_o)/¯
Last edited by Zox at Mar 19, 2012,
Seasick Steve

T-Model Ford

Son House

If you want me to recommend more blues stuff you can just PM me!
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by theogonia777
On top of what's been said, just a few more:

Paul Chambers - Bass On Top
Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come

Also you might like some of the jazzier bits of Jimmy Bryant or Danny Gatton.

I like you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKR3rfChkuU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAUbqn4cuOg
For blues-
early Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
Gov't Mule (can't recommend them enough)
Warren Haynes solo stuff (hes the guitarist and singer for Gov't Mule).
Rose Hill Drive has a few good ones
Derrick Trucks and Susan Tedeschi Band
Quote by Arby911
Blues. Jazz sucks.

Look up Tom Waits (70s stuff), Nels Cline, Marc Ribot, Django Reinhardt, and Sun Ra. There is some really good jazz out there, but there's also a lot of shit. If you think it's all bad then you aren't looking hard enough,
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
If you want modern pop-ish jazz you should check out E.S.T. Amazing stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WUeZqK1FPM

Judging how you liked Art Blakey and seem to be more into the older traditional stuff i would recommend you to check out some classic Charlie Parker.

If you want something older but more experimental and batshit crazy check out Thelonious Monk.

Also look into Hank Mobley, he has a lot of great albums, start with Soul Station.

If you want to try Coltrane start with Blue Train, then give A Love Supreme a try. Also check out Giant Steps and My Favorite Things.
¯|(°_o)/¯
Quote by Joey-Tribiani
Seasick Steve is the man!

"I was born with nothing and I still have most of it"

I love Seasick Steve. He's the finest example of how blues isn't about having fancy gear (as most of the EG forum seems to think ). It's about playing it from the heart and Seasick Steve does that perfectly.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by Zox
If you want modern pop-ish jazz you should check out E.S.T. Amazing stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WUeZqK1FPM

Judging how you liked Art Blakey and seem to be more into the older traditional stuff i would recommend you to check out some classic Charlie Parker.

If you want something older but more experimental and batshit crazy check out Thelonious Monk.

Also look into Hank Mobley, he has a lot of great albums, start with Soul Station.

If you want to try Coltrane start with Blue Train, then give A Love Supreme a try.

I personally would stay away from a love supreme. Id say give Giant Steps a listen first.
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union

Quote by Joey-Tribiani
I personally would stay away from a love supreme. Id say give Giant Steps a listen first.

I don't think it's that hard to get into, it's not like i recommended the Olatunji Concert or Ascension. But i just added Giant Steps and My Favorite things to the post.
¯|(°_o)/¯
Robert Johnson - "The Complete Recordings"
Sam Lightnin Hopkins
The 3 Kings; Albert, Freddie, B.B.
Paul Butterfield -" East West"
Slim Harpo
Big Bill Broonzy
the list goes on and on....
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
A Love Supreme was the first jazz album I ever listened to & I didn't think it was way out there or anything.
Didn't see Bill Evans mentioned, he's about the only person from whom I will listen to absolutely anything.

I got a bootleg cassette tape of Sunday at the Village Vanguard when I was maybe 10. I still listen to it pretty regularly (not on cassette though...).

Alice in Wonderland

Dream Gypsy (with Jim Hall on guitar)

Also - there's a whole subforum dedicated to jazz and blues. It's a bit slow, but you'll probably get better suggestions and less trolling.
Buddy Guy.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Go Utah Jazz
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
Muddy Waters is what real blues is about man. I'd go as far to say that if you didn't like him, forget about everything else in the genre.

Howlin' Wolf, Billie Holiday, BB King, John Lee Hooker, Robert Johnson and Elmore James are all big blues artists, I'd give them a listen.

This was my favourite blues song for a while, check Sam Chatmon out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Son9T4_u0

Oh, and Tom Waits gives you a bit of Jazz and Blues, so I'd recommend listening to Rain Dogs too.
John Coltrane A Love Supreme

The Cinematic Orchestra Everyday (my fav band ever http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvTF6B5XKxQ)

Chick Corea & Herbie Hancock in Concert

Keith Jarrett The Koln Concert

Paco De Lucia. Al Di Meola, John McLaughlan Friday Night In San Francisco

Pat Metheny The Way Up

Chick Corea Akoustic Band Live at the Blue Note Tokyo

Jaco Pastorous Solo Album

Alex Skolnick Trio Last Day in Paradise
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Mar 19, 2012,
Page 1 of 2