------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESP LTD Viper-1000 See Through Black Cherry
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spec:
Body: Mahogany
Neck: Mahogany, Ebony Fingerboard, 42mm nut, Thin-U profile
Pickup: Seymour Duncan Custom-5 (B) / '59 (N)
Tonepros Locking TOM Bridge & Tailpiece, ESP Locking Tuners,
Finish: STBC (See Thru Black Cherry)

The Black Cherry finish on mahogany has been holding a soft spot on me all the way back when I was at the guitar store looking for my first guitar and set my eyes on a cheapo Epiphone. I didn't buy it but it did leave a quite deep mark on me ever since. A Viper with this finish, with my absolute favorite neck profile? AND ebony fretboard??? Oh well, here it is lying on my floor

Excuse me for not having a real camera. These pictures are all I could do with my phone.

With the family. I just moved into my new place so all I got with me were the H-1001, Edwards and Blackstar.

...and a few more pic

Look how shiny the ebony is!

Review on the way on the second post
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

REVIEW

This guitar is fantastic! It has everything I want in a guitar (aside from the standard nut, but I have an ESP replacement earvana right here so...).

Let starts with the WEIGHT of this guitar.
I don't have a scale here at my new place but I can tell this guitar weights quite nicely. It's heavier than the Edwards which is also mahogany in both body and neck. It is a bit less weight as my Warmoth build which is solid 1-piece mahogany with quite heavy maple neck. If I had to guess it would be around 4.2kg, probably more. Needless to say, it's the perfect weight for me. Light guitars feels like toy which is mostly the reason I prefer this to the H-1001

A thing worth to mention is the BALANCE.
SG style guitar is prone to have neck dive problem because of the weight distribution. This guitar does not suffer from this problem. The weight balance is centered at the neck pickup and in my opinion it's the perfect spot on a guitar.

The BUILD QUALITY
The finish is perfect. Not a bad spot anywhere. The mahogany grain comes out nicely.

I though the body would be 3-piece but it's not. It's solid 1-piece mid-heavy mahogany. Nice!

The neck is made of 3 piece mahogany as seen on the back. There were one or two frets where I felt were a bit sharp at the end but after a 30 min of playing they disappeared. The rest are nicely polished. No uneven fret and all of them glide like butter. The Ebony fretboard shines like a mirror and is a joy to play and look at. All the inlays were totally crap (hah, I kid, they are as flawless as they can be).

The tuners are still ESP Locking. I will be very careful with these as I did break 2 of them on my H-1001. Never to unscrew the locking pin all the way or it might get stuck out there and no way to get it back. Having said that, they're very nice tuners when it comes to holding tune. The turn ratio is accurate enough for precision adjustment.

Not a lot can be said about the quality level of Tonepros bridge and tail piece. Everybody knows they're comparable to the higher quality GOTOH. One thing for sure, though. SHINEY!

The Volume and Tone pots are as expected of the LTD Deluxe line. They scale very well and does resist back when turning. The switch is solid, switching noise is minimal, it just clicks in place.

The SOUND
This pair of Seymour Duncans is my favorite set.
Seymour Duncan Custom-5: It is essentially like a '59 but with more output and fuller tone. This pickup takes the throne of my favorite bridge pickup after I switched from the JB which was a bit too trebly. I love the fullness tone coming out of this humbucker. It can be so much versatile!

Seymour Duncan '59: It can be said to have a bit lesser output than the Custom-5. The P.A.F-ness of this pickup is unmistakable! Since it's in the neck position it has more bottom end which makes the sound a bit harsh sometime, perhap a bit too much for my liking. I have an Alnico II neck humbucker here to be replaced in, hopefully it will give me the smooth creamy sound that I love.

A special thanks to Francine from beatstreetmusic.

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Mar 19, 2012,
HNGD, that's very nice
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz

But it seems that every day there is an LTD deluxe NGD of some kind. Its getting pretty boring.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

But it seems that every day there is an LTD deluxe NGD of some kind. Its getting pretty boring.

The invasion has begun...

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Very nice how does it compare to your other guitars? Because to me you have narrow range of guitars sound wise not a single coil in sight particularly so what do you think this does better than the others?
SMILE!
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

You're always bitching in LTD threads

They're great guitars, that's just it

HNGD
Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
You're always bitching in LTD threads

Maybe its because i think LTD's are overrated.

Ever considered that?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 19, 2012,
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Very nice how does it compare to your other guitars? Because to me you have narrow range of guitars sound wise not a single coil in sight particularly so what do you think this does better than the others?

I'm humbucker all the way :p Each guitar feels and plays differently than other. A short compare of the two i'm having right here to this guitar

H-1001: Lighter and have (much) better higher fret access. the neck profile Thin-U is uniformly the whole neck all the way to the neck joint. Neck joint is set-thru is a bit more comfortable when playing at 20+ frets. The Viper neck profile starts to "flatten" after 12th fret to meet the neck joint shape. The longer scale length and maple neck, rosewood fretboard and different neck pickup of this guitar gives it a different sounding than the shorter one on Viper.

Edwards: Noticeably lighter than Viper. Shredder neck profile, flatter and feels somewhat thinner. I prefer the thin-u neck profile more so I might get rid of this guitar sometime soon.

This Viper is like the perfect middle ground of the H-1001 and Edwards. Having many good things from both guitars with extra features like 1-piece body with good weight and ebony fretboard. Fret access is right in between, not as good as H-1001 but better than Edwards.

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Phil X? You should what he does with his Vipers and remove the neck pickup and put stickers all over it
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Nice. SG's don't usually have sides like that do they? They're more rounded usually aren't they? I like the finish on that, nice and rich and deep. HNGD.
Quote by Dr Sixstring
Phil X? You should what he does with his Vipers and remove the neck pickup and put stickers all over it

I know right He even slapped a frigging computer fan grill in place of the neck pickup. That's hardcore!

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Maybe its because i think LTD's are overrated.

Ever considered that?
Isn't there a rule against shitting on someone's NGD? If there isn't, there should be.