So after 8 years of playing electric I'm finally breaking down and buying an acoustic, yay mee. I already picked a guitar out but I was wondering what strings I should put on it. I know I don't want nylon strings, and I want a fairly bright sound, so yeah! Hit me up with some suggestions!
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Quote by ethan_hanus
If you want bright, go with 80/20 bronze type strings. Martian is a good brand to start with.

+1
Also, I think you may be the victim of autocorrect ;D
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
If you play fingerstyle I think you should try the Elixir Nanoweb strings. They might sound too bright if you just strum, but many fingerstyle players like to use them.
Elixirs are great acoustic strings. D'Addario EXP are an exceptional set. Although a bit on the pricey side of product...they're worth the buy!
Yeah I was getting a vibe from Elixir that they would have good strings, I guess I'll start there and see how I like them! thanks all!

Edit: Are all acoustic strings pretty pricey? Those Elixirs are like $15-16 for a pack! My strings more electrics are only like $6 a pack! haha
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Last edited by M_16A at Mar 19, 2012,
I find the D'Addario 85/15 Hybrid strings to be a bit more brighter than regular 80/20s. But then again the only 80/20s I use are Phospher Bronze. I have yet to try Elixirs...
Quote by M_16A
Yeah I was getting a vibe from Elixir that they would have good strings, I guess I'll start there and see how I like them! thanks all!

Edit: Are all acoustic strings pretty pricey? Those Elixirs are like $15-16 for a pack! My strings more electrics are only like $6 a pack! haha
Well, D'Addario EXP strings are, (IMO), just as good but about 3 bucks cheaper.

The prices you're experiencing are for "coated" strings. These are, (again IMO), the way to go, since uncoated strings have a very short lifespan.

A plain nickel electric set will outlast a plain brass / bronze acoustic set.

Many makers ship with D'Addario EXP-16's, which are an "acoustic light set". And again, IMO, an "acoustic light set, (.012 to .053), is where you should start, until you settle on a gauge set that fits your playing style. There are 2 lighter sets, "extra light" and, "custom light", which may suit someone who is expecting more of an electric playing experience. But, they kill some of the bottom end and aren't the best idea for heavy strummers.

Whatever string you buy, keep in mind that this is gibberish:....
Quote by mielieHobo
I find the D'Addario 85/15 Hybrid strings to be a bit more brighter than regular 80/20s. But then again the only 80/20s I use are Phospher Bronze. I have yet to try Elixirs...
Because? Nobody's "80/20" string set is "phosphor bronze", they're "brass". And "more better" is about as vulgar a superlative as can be found in all the English language.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 20, 2012,