It looks a little like a Vigier, but I know Rob has been associated with Suhr and Caparisons a lot...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dragonkidkoga
Looks like an Ibanez or a Stagg, but I'm probably wrong.

I know it's not an Ibanez, and after looking through the electric guitars section of the Stagg music website, I don't think it's Stagg either.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
It looks a little like a Vigier, but I know Rob has been associated with Suhr and Caparisons a lot...

Yeah, I was thinking maybe a Suhr or a Vigier. Doesn't look like anything relative in the headstock, though.
What's your point? He's listed as a Caparison endorser as well.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Right, not the most helpful information, but it's certainly not a Suhr, Caparison or Vigier.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Right, not the most helpful information, but it's certainly not a Suhr, Caparison or Vigier.

I don't think it's a Caparison, and AFAIK, he's never played a Vigier, but what makes you so sure about the Suhr?

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I don't think it's a Caparison, and AFAIK, he's never played a Vigier, but what makes you so sure about the Suhr?

Because it looks nothing like it...

I know Suhr guitars quite well and this is not one of them (just look at the headstock, the body shape and the pick guard for example).
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Because it looks nothing like it...

I know Suhr guitars quite well and this is not one of them (just look at the headstock, the body shape and the pick guard for example).

I'd say it looks A LOT like the Suhr classic he's playing here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKizJCS9z6k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

...or this white one someone else is demoing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E41f-oVp_M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 20, 2012,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'd say it looks A LOT like the Suhr classic he's playing here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKizJCS9z6k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

...or this white one someone else is demoing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E41f-oVp_M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Suhr only makes two models with 24 frets: the Modern and the carve top Modern. This is neither. Also, the absence of the Suhr logo on the headstock is a dead giveaway. Also, Suhr only has two headstock shapes: the pointy one and a more vintage version. Then there's the pickguard, etc.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Suhr only makes two models with 24 frets: the Modern and the carve top Modern. This is neither. Also, the absence of the Suhr logo on the headstock is a dead giveaway. Also, Suhr only has two headstock shapes: the pointy one and a more vintage version. Then there's the pickguard, etc.

He's endorsed by Suhr, there's a fair chance it's some kind of custom.
Quote by Telecaster7
He's endorsed by Suhr, there's a fair chance it's some kind of custom.

That's the thing with Suhr: they pretty much never deviate from a models basic specs. So if you want a certain type of pickups or some exotic materials, that's usually fine, but anything requiring structural changes (like in this case a custom body and neck) is completely out of the question, even for endorsers.

The body shape on Rob's guitar is different from the Classic and as I said, they don't make that model with 24 frets; it really is not a Suhr.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 20, 2012,
Quote by Bonsaischaap

Not really convinced.

There IS something on the white axe's headstock, it's just not readable from the angle the filmer was at...much like how the Suhr logo on Rob's red was illegible in the neoclassical shred videos, or the first picture on Rob's artist page on Suhr's own website.

The headstock shape also seems consistent with the red Suhr to me, as does the pickguard and body shape.

As for 22 vs 24, I cannot speak to Suhr's policies.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 20, 2012,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Not really convinced.

There IS something on the white axe's headstock, it's just not readable from the angle the filmer was at...much like how the Suhr logo on Rob's red was illegible in the neoclassical shred videos, or the first picture on Rob's artist page on Suhr's own website.

The headstock shape also seems consistent with the red Suhr to me, as does the pickguard and body shape.

As for 22 vs 24, I cannot speak to Suhr's policies.

Suhr never releases a product they're not confident about. Any adjustment takes a long time; whether it's a completely new shape or something like a shorter scale length. An example would be the fixed bridge Modern (originally designed with a tremolo): to my knowledge they've only made one (with a Schaller Hannes bridge), despite pretty strong demand. Also, look at their custom and signature models: none are fundamentally different from the stock models they were based on.

However, it's not just very thorough R&D that makes it unlikely (or even impossible) for them to build a guitar with different basic specs from the 'standard template'. Recently (and with recently I mean for the past year or so), they've been very busy designing - among other things - an LP-style single cut model. Combined with a move to a larger factory and probably a year worth of back orders they've been incredibly busy. This has meant that they are no longer taking orders for time consuming things like custom inlays or Exotic models.

To sum up: it takes a long time for them to develop new products and they've been consistently busy for quite a while now.

So, let's look at Rob's guitar again.

First of all, there's the pickguard. In 2009, Ed Yoon (from Suhr) specifically stated they weren't going to offer a pickguard as an option on the modern. Of course, this is almost three years ago, but I haven't seen one since (apart from one that was modified by a customer).

Secondly, take a closer look at the headstock. Not only is the shape slightly different, the routing for the trussrod is different from any Suhr I've ever seen. Then there's the inlays: Suhr's don't have a double dot at the 24th fret.
Also, notice how the Modern has a slightly offset bodyshape; Marcello's guitar doesn't appear to have that. Finally, Marcello clearly isn't playing Suhr exclusively (just watch some other recent videos) and his page on the Suhr site lists only two guitars.

So, is Rob's guitar very similar to a Suhr? Yes, it is. Could Suhr technically have built it? Sure. Considering everything above, do I think they did? No.

Of course, if it's not a Suhr, then what it is? Frankly, I don't have a clue. Here are some videos where you can see it better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8b1fbrdQL0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42DT3qOnHT4 (at around 0:05)
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 20, 2012,
Thanks for the gigantic reply. I still have no idea what it could be. Bumping to see if anyone has an idea.
It's always possible that it's just a one off custom.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Fujigen, from what I understand, has an excellent reputation and start somewhere around $1000+ for their entry-level stuff. Pix I've seen of people's own axes look pretty sweet.