Hello! I was wondering about copyrighting. If I have made an album with some original songs, what should I do to protect them from being "stolen"?

I was wondering if uploading the songs to youtube itself would be enough to protect the songs, because of the uploading date?

Thanks!
Well, copyright is automatically yours - the artist doesn't have to do anything to make it "happen".

However, enforcing it is another matter entirely.

I periodically print off everything I have written, and send it by registered post to myself in an envelope that has a seal which I never open.

If the worst comes to the worst and I end up in a court case trying to prove a song is mine, I get to brandish my envelope! To the best of my knowledge, in UK courts at least, such an envelope has never been opened - the offending party's lawyer always steps in and says, "OK, we give in," (but in very lengthy and expensive "legalese", of course).
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
Last edited by EMarkM at Mar 19, 2012,
Quote by EMarkM
Well, copyright is automatically yours - the artist doesn't have to do anything to make it "happen".

However, enforcing it is another matter entirely.

I periodically print off everything I have written, and send it by registered post to myself in an envelope that has a seal which I never open.

If the worst comes to the worst and I end up in a court case trying to prove a song is mine, I get to brandish my envelope! To the best of my knowledge, in UK courts at least, such an envelope has never been opened - the offending party's lawyer always steps in and says, "OK, we give in," (but in very lengthy and expensive "legalese", of course).

Hey! Thanks for the answer!

What I have heard, that envelope method does'nt really work that good anymore.

But at the same time, is there a big chance that someone actually would take someone else's music? Is it necessary to worry?
Although mailing a song to yourself is a legitimate way to protect a copyright, there are ways now to forge postmarks, so it's better to register it with your county's copyright office (in the US, Library of Congress), and also send it to a performer's rights organization if you can (i.e. ASCAP, BMI).

Just some suggestions if you're especially worried about it.
It's never happened to me, and I've been playing live in front of audiences for around 30 years. As far as I know, no-one has ever gone away remembering one of my songs and claimed it was there's.

Mind you, maybe my stuff just isn't that good!

I think your YouTube idea might have some plus points, but I've never heard of it being used that way myself.

Anyone else got more up-to-date ideas?
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
I assume it counts as soon as it's in a tangible form? Would GuitarPro files count? Also, wouldn't emailing yourself the songs as attachments also be proof as it would be extremely difficult to fake an email providers time stamp?
Quote by Twiggy003
I assume it counts as soon as it's in a tangible form? Would GuitarPro files count? Also, wouldn't emailing yourself the songs as attachments also be proof as it would be extremely difficult to fake an email providers time stamp?

My thoughts exactly. I think that it would be proof enough to have time and date from a web service as emai, youtube, google docs and so on, as the date and time would probably be hard to change.
i think there's a thread somewhere in the Musician Talk section (maybe bandleading) about copyrighting songs. you should look for that thread, useful information. i think it was axemanchriss (mod) who started it, he really knows about that stuff.

this shouldn't be here, so i'll close this thread.