Hey everyone. I had just recently purchased a used Peavey Ultra Plus Head that was DOA. I'm not anywhere local to a music store, so I couldn't try it out. I got it from GC. So now, the thought of buying used kind of makes me leery. Not that I wouldn't love to save some money. But now I'm more cautious. So, I guess I'm wondering if I shouldn't give up on buying used. I mean, because of one bad experience, I shouldn't give it up completely right? Anyways, the other half is more reccomendations maybe? As for specifics, I play mainly metal. It can be combos, heads, 30, 50, 120 watts. Anything and everything that has a somewhat decent clean channel and a high gain channel. Peferably separate EQ's. One EQ for both clean an dirty channel doesn't sound too appealing. Or I would have got the JCA50h Or JCA100H already. Those look killer. Max, I'm willing to spend around $650. But I could maybe go a little higher if it's worth it. Thanks for your time. This must be getting tiresome I know, but I'm knew to tube amps and would appreciate any and all help.

Later \m/
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
I've had new gear be DOA, your fear is irrational.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
That's unfortunate, but don't let it get you down. Complain to GC about it - they're not supposed to sell amps that don't work.

It's likely that it got bumped around in transit, and that is why it was DOA. Buying from ebay or Craigs List is a lot better (and they usually have better deals).

What kind of dirty tone are you looking for? Off the top of my head, I say shop around for another Ultra, or look into a XXX. But I can't really recommend anything for real without knowing what you actually need. Bands who have sound you're going for?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
That's unfortunate, but don't let it get you down. Complain to GC about it - they're not supposed to sell amps that don't work.

It's likely that it got bumped around in transit, and that is why it was DOA. Buying from ebay or Craigs List is a lot better (and they usually have better deals).

What kind of dirty tone are you looking for? Off the top of my head, I say shop around for another Ultra, or look into a XXX. But I can't really recommend anything for real without knowing what you actually need. Bands who have sound you're going for?

Funny you should say that. I took it to a UPS dropoff today to be sent back. They're refunding me. Handed it to the guy, and he just threw the fricken thing on the floor. Literally threw it. I was like oh, maybe that's why the damn thing didn't work when it got to my house. Damn I forgot to post bands I like, my bad. I like Children of Bodom, Scar Symmetry, Mercenary, Iced Earth, As I Lay Dying, etc... That kind of dirty. So a pretty good amount of gain. I've gone back and forth about getting a Bugera 333XL or 6262. I mean why not buy a cheaper knockoff then what you're going for? But due to reliability issues I've read, I can't get myself to buy one. But anyways, hope this helps. Thanks.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
Yeah, postal services are brutal. They literally don't care, and throw everything cause it makes their job easier/faster. most of the time gear is double packaged with a lot of popcorn/bubbles. I guess whoever shipped your amp was just clueless.

For what you want to play, I recommend a XXX.

There's one on ebay now http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Triple-XXX-120-Watt-Guitar-Amp-Amplifier-Head-with-Footswitch-Nice-/300679513627?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4601e5461b

That's kind of pricey as far as XXX's go though. You can browse around, I'm sure they pop up fairly often.

I would not recomment getting a Bugera. You can get the real thing used for the same price or less. Peavey's MIA amps completely blow Bugera stuff away, no contest.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
almost every piece of kit I've bought has been done so used, and I've gotten some killer deals! It's really a buyer-beware situation. Roll with it!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com