#1
I'll start from when I started having problems with the sound of my rig.

After getting new speakers, I decided to redo the wiring in my Marshall 1960a 4x12. I bent a speaker terminal and it began cutting out and I couldnt get a clear signal. So I posted on here and was advised to check the wiring somewhere, my amp was taken to a tech and checked over, I even got new tubes put in and everything is fine with it. My guitar is also in perfect working condition. My cables work fine with other cabs. Its definitely something with the cab. I went back to the stock wiring and the cab still cuts out, horribly.
I don't see how it could be anything other than the circuit board/inputs/input jack plate on the back of the cab. I have no clue how to go about messing with them. Should I just get a new cab? I'm about to out of frustration. If not, what should I start with to replace/troubleshoot this cabinet?

Sub-question:
This is out of curiosity. I ran my head into it for about a minute with standby off, trying to play, checking volume knobs and what not . Even though it may not affect my head much, is it technically harmful? Even with the circuit board on the 1960? Specifically to the OT and tubes.
#2
I'd say you're spot on with your troubleshooting. I'd say it's the input jack plate on the back of the cab.

In answer to your sub question... it's never a good idea to play an amp without a cabinet hooked up.

I just got through refinishing my Marshall 1960A cabinet and I replaced the jack input plate with a new one ($48 plus shipping). I think I still have the old one. It still works. I'd be willing to sell it to you for $15 plus shipping.
#3
Quote by Suckerpunchme!
I'd say you're spot on with your troubleshooting. I'd say it's the input jack plate on the back of the cab.

In answer to your sub question... it's never a good idea to play an amp without a cabinet hooked up.

I just got through refinishing my Marshall 1960A cabinet and I replaced the jack input plate with a new one ($48 plus shipping). I think I still have the old one. It still works. I'd be willing to sell it to you for $15 plus shipping.



I know not to turn on an amp with no load connected. But would a broken jack plate, or faulty wiring mean that there is no load? or would there technically be impedence in this situation?

I've ordered a new jack plate and it comes with wiring, hopefully that will fix the problem. If not, then there's something wrong with my pretty new speakers :/