I was interested in getting a Vox Tonelab as they seem like a good alternative to other multi-fx. However, I have heard they don't sound good through a tube amp, since they already have a tube in them. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these through tube amps that they would like to share. I have a Bugera V22 combo and a modded Epiphone Dot and an also modded Fender Strat, and I play blues and rock (Black Keys, John Mayer, Silversun Pickups, and the Raconteurs mainly). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Whoever told you that was wrong. Pay attention to cabinet modeling when using a tube amp. Plugging into the FX return instead of the input of the amp is also something to consider. The tube in a Tonelab isn't relevant to anything. It's Vox's way of doing what everyone else can accomplish with a DSP. The main reason is most likely marketing as there is nothing superior about the Tonelab and using a tube is probably nothing more than an unnecessary expense.
the guy above me is right, it's all about the cabinet modeling when using those digital guys. turn it off when using a real amp
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
At home I use a Boss ME50 thru an Epi valve jr and Im quite content with the tones I get. If you have an amp that sounds good, the amp modeling on the tonelab may be kinda useless. The Zoom G3 is a better option IMO tho. The g3 has a lotta features that make it funner to play than it sounds
Quote by fly135
The main reason is most likely marketing as there is nothing superior about the Tonelab and using a tube is probably nothing more than an unnecessary expense.

it's obvious that you have no clue about what you are saying. I do, as I have known tube amps, inside out, for well over a decade, and can attest to the fact that yours is complete nonsense. I have had dozens of tube amps and tried every amp simulator you can imagine.

Besides, I really doubt that Vox is run by people who think people are stupid and so put something in their equipment that is a 'marketing gimmick' that basically doesn't do jack, which is what you imply.
Vox has been doing their stuff for many decades, nothing they do is a marketing gimmicks without value to a musician, do you really think they would supply amps to legendary bands like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen etc and then come up with some useless crap and gimmicks and think 'ah ah, that will really fool these stupid people' ?

You watch too many youtube videos about conspiracy theories
Last edited by harmony_melody_ at Jun 20, 2014,
That post was well worth waiting 2 years for.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington

Yep,

I own a Tonelab LE and the tube does round off the corners of the tone so they sound pretty good. I use it mostly for recording and as a backup for my amp live. It is a very flexible tool with a pretty long learning curve. If you have the patience, all the great guitarists signature tones are in there. (Celebrity fingers not included.)
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by harmony_melody_
it's obvious that you have no clue about what you are saying. I do, as I have known tube amps, inside out, for well over a decade, and can attest to the fact that yours is complete nonsense. I have had dozens of tube amps and tried every amp simulator you can imagine.

Besides, I really doubt that Vox is run by people who think people are stupid and so put something in their equipment that is a 'marketing gimmick' that basically doesn't do jack, which is what you imply.
Vox has been doing their stuff for many decades, nothing they do is a marketing gimmicks without value to a musician, do you really think they would supply amps to legendary bands like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen etc and then come up with some useless crap and gimmicks and think 'ah ah, that will really fool these stupid people' ?

You watch too many youtube videos about conspiracy theories

You are truly fortunate that stupidity isn't inherently painful.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by GaryBillington

I was thinkin' ya, thats my post but I dont remember typing it, what a strange necrobump.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
There are powered speakers out there that use a tube power amplifier as motivating force. One such (now discontinued, but still available used) was the original Atomic Reactor, built by the same folks who currently partner with Fractal (Axe-FX), atomicamps.com.

These were designed to work with the Pod "beans," the M-Audio modeling box, the Behringer modeler (it's shaped a bit like an LP body) and the Vox Tonelab. They have a hot-swappable "bay" that allows you to bolt in the modeler (all connections are made internally) and use the thing like a combo amp. I have three of these things -- two are 1x12s (the speaker is a 200W Eminence that has very flat response, the amp is an 18-watt EL84 power amp designed NOT to have a burned-in sound) and one is a 2x12 (large ported cabinet, 50W 6L6 amp). You can also simply plug in a floor model modeler (Pod "Live", HD500, etc.).

There were also some powered cabinets that did NOT have the hot-swappable bay (most have the 50W amp built in, but most also have an additional piezo tweeter to extend the range of the cabinet and to better distribute treble response).
Quote by fly135
Not only that but the guy can't read. Nowhere do I say the tube does nothing.

Given that the tonelab will function without the tube even being there and the fact that the tube is run at a ridiculously low voltage, you might as well have. I'm not saying the tube does 'nothing' either, but what it doesn't isn't particularly impressive. As you noted, mostly marketing.

Your detractor doesn't seem to understand target markets at all...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by harmony_melody_

With all due respect to your awesome loyalty to Vox, the Tonelab has been around quite a while.

Vox itself has long since quietly admitted that the tube doesn't really do all that much and is nearly as much marketing as mojo. If you know as much about tube amps as you claim (this is 98% a solid state device, however, and not a tube amp), you should be able to pop the top on this sucker and confirm that for yourself.

That doesn't detract from the job the Tonelab does, which is excellent.

There are a LOT of gizmos and pedals out there that prominently feature a 12AX7 or similar tube in an effort to promote its tube-like qualities, but in which the tube itself is simply lit up -- mostly just a bit of glowing eye candy.
Let's just start with the assumption that the preamp tube and transformer does simulate a pushed power amp. Here are the possible points I can think of that would support it's not a gimmick...

1) Vox could not figure out how to simulate a pushed power amp with a DSP.

2) Vox did a cost benefit analysis and determined that the extra tube hardware could be included at a lower cost if they used a cheap DSP incapable of decently simulating a pushed power amp.

3) The Tonelab is best sounding multifx in production.

Now, the first two arguments could only be made by someone who had intimate knowledge of the interworkings of the company. The third argument is highly subjective, not likely in most or many people's opinion, and hardly justifies saying someone who disagrees knows nothing.

If anyone else has more points I missed in justifying it's not a gimmick please add your comments. Because of those three arguments I do not feel any of them are valid.

So now Mr Harmony_melody can present his argument. I'd love to hear it.
for Vox Tonelab le you setup if it is going into a guitar amp or PA.
the Fender Super Champ XD channel 1 is a real all tube amp with NO effects or modeling designed after the Fender Blackface Amplifier...............
Jerry 
Quote by fly135
Let's just start with the assumption that the preamp tube and transformer does simulate a pushed power amp.  Here are the possible points I can think of that would support it's not a gimmick...

1) Vox could not figure out how to simulate a pushed power amp with a DSP.

2) Vox did a cost benefit analysis and determined that the extra tube hardware could be included at a lower cost if they used a cheap DSP incapable of decently simulating a pushed power amp.

3) The Tonelab is best sounding multifx in production.

Now, the first two arguments could only be made by someone who had intimate knowledge of the interworkings of the company.  The third argument is highly subjective, not likely in most or many people's opinion, and hardly justifies saying someone who disagrees knows nothing.

If anyone else has more points I missed in justifying it's not a gimmick please add your comments.  Because of those three arguments I do not feel any of them are valid.

So now Mr Harmony_melody can present his argument.  I'd love to hear it.

So, Why not use the Vox Tonelab LE as a multi-effects stomp box into the Fender Super Champ XD guitar input set to Channel 1 (all tube amp)?
I just purchased a Fender Super Champ XD on EBAY. It should be delivered by August 24th, 2017.
I already own a Vox Tonelab LE.
I am planning on using the channel 1 of the Fender Super Champ XD as it is an all tube or valve amplifier and connecting the Vox Toneab LE to the Amp for a multi-effect foot controller.
Jerry
Old thread.  The XD clean channel is not all tube.  But IMO that really doesn't matter because it works really well and I doubt that anyone would know whether it's all tube or not without seeing the schematic that shows all audio paths going through a SS section.  But yeah, totally run the Vox into channel 1.  Should be great.