Basically a girl asked me to play some riffs behind her piano part on Adele's One and Only, but being the music theory noob I am, I have no idea what scale to use. Any help is appreciated.
Just find the key of the song and look up some scales and put that scales in that key. Pentatonic are some of the easiest scales to improvise off of.
Quote by fieryfenderz
Basically a girl asked me to play some riffs behind her piano part on Adele's One and Only, but being the music theory noob I am, I have no idea what scale to use. Any help is appreciated.

Find out what notes are in the chords and build your scales from there.
Quote by fieryfenderz

The song is in F.

Play some fills when there is a break in the lyrics. Be sympathetic musically and try not to over power any other band members, especially the singer.

If it's easier for you think this way, use F major pentatonic.... shape 5. You know what shape that is really don't you?

If you can, follow the chords and use some Hendrixian double stops with the CAGED shapes.

Good luck.

Also, I hear the song as 6/8 time. if you listen carefully, you can hear the guitarist adding some chordal stabs on the top 3 strings on beat 4. 1 2 3 4 5 6.

Use triads for that. They come in at around 1:14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8glDy7OsHNs
Last edited by mdc at Mar 20, 2012,